The Best Day

The Best Day

Myungsoo carefully fixed the bow on Suzy's dress. His tongue slightly popping out. It was his habit when he was concentrating. Suzy watched his hand move, making shapes with the long fabric. Myungsoo stepped back and looked at it, examining his work. He touched it one last time, thinking he made a different but he really didn't. The sides of the bow were now even.

"There," He said. "All nice and pretty." He flashed Suzy a smile.

"Hmm." Suzy hummed. "Thanks, Myungsoo." 

It was spring. It was the season when the flowers bloomed, the grass green and the animals came out with a hungry smile. There were some scattered clouds in the sky, the sun brightening it up. It was warm yet breezy and it was a perfect day for a wedding.

Suzy and Myungsoo were outside, sitting on the bench and waiting for their parents to look for them. They had been best friends since they were six. Since Suzy's mother saved Myungsoo's life.

Myungsoo was three years old when he's lungs started failing. It was a rainy day when Myungsoo stopped breathing. His parents had rushed him straight to the hospital, knowing that Myungsoo still had a chance. And he did. Suzy's mother was a paediatrician. She was available when Myungsoo got rushed to the hospital and she helped him as soon as she heard. Luckily, his heart was still beating. They weren't too late. The panic that Myungsoo's parents felt when they thought they were going to lose their only child was terrible. It was just painful to imagine. 

But Myungsoo survived. He was breathing again in no time. His parents were so thankful but something quite amazing happened. Suzy's mother and Myungsoo's mother used to be best friends when they were little. They somehow lost contact when Suzy's mother moved to study abroad. They realised this when they were introducing each other and it seems like they had a lot in common. 

That's how Myungsoo and Suzy became best friends. And now, it's been six years since it all began. They were now 12 years old, attending a wedding. 

Myungsoo was swinging his legs while humming a cheerful song to himself. He gazed up at the sky, his mind being occupied with a lot of things. 

"What are you thinking about, Myungsoo?" Suzy asked as she looked at her best friend's profile view. 

Myungsoo shrugged, "Stuff." 

"Can you be more specific?" 

"Hey, can I ask you something?" He no longer looked at the sky as he turned his gaze to her.

Suzy nodded, "Sure." 

"Do you want a boyfriend?" 

Suzy didn't answer. Instead, she looked at him. She was quite surprise with his question and she didn't really know the answer herself. 

"Myungsoo, I'm only 12."

"So it's a no?" 

"Why are you asking?" 

Myungsoo shrugged again and turned his head away from her, "Dongho said he liked you."

"And?"

"He asked me to ask you to go out with him." 

Suzy shook her head, "I'll tell him my answer when I see him in school." 

Myungsoo looked at her from his peripheral vision. "What's your answer?" 

Suzy smiled to herself. She could hear the curiousness in his voice. When she didn't answer, Myungsoo looked at her only to get annoyed when she saw her smiling. 

Suzy stuck her tongue out at him. "It's for me to know and for you to find out." 

"That's stupid."

"You're stupid." 

Before Myungsoo could tell her to shut up, it was time for them to march down the aisle. Myungsoo was the ring bearer and Suzy threw the flowers for the bride. It was a beautiful scene. A scene that both of them won't ever forget. 

 

 It was a dull day when Suzy found Myungsoo sitting alone in the field just outside his house. She visited his house only to be welcomed by his cold parents. They didn't seem to be in a good mood. In fact, they didn't seem to be talking at each other at all. 

Suzy took a seat next to Myungsoo. He moved away from her a little. He didn't greet her nor look at her. He just stared straight ahead, his face expressionless. 

Suzy didn't ask him what was wrong. She didn't say a word and just waited for him to talk. She knew Myungsoo, inside and out. He couldn't keep his feelings bottled up inside of him for long. Heck, he might have shouted his lungs out before he sat down. No surprise, he started to talk. 

"Suzy," Myungsoo started. "Don't forget that you're beautiful, okay?"

Suzy, taken aback by his sudden comment, looked at him weirdly. "What's this all about?" 

Myungsoo shrugged. "Just a little reminder, I guess." 

"A reminder?"

Myungsoo nodded, "Don't forget, okay?" 

Suzy didn't reply instead she looked at him. She waited for him to look and her so she could see his eyes. So she could read it and see if he meant it. 

It was like Myungsoo could read her mind, "I mean it." He told her. 

"Thanks." She finally replied. "You are too, Myungsoo." 

Myungsoo scoffed, "Sure." 

"Did something happen?" 

"My parents are divorcing." 

That made Suzy forget all the words she knew. She was really bad at comforting people. She felt like she'd make him feel worse if she said something. So instead, she patted his back and asked him, "What can I do to make you feel better?" 

Myungsoo looked at her in the eyes and they held it for a long minute before he replied. 

"Don't ever leave me." He whispered. 

"I won't. I promise." Suzy reassured him. "But you have to promise something back to me."

"What is it?"

"Promise to never leave me too." 

"You know I can't promise you that." 

Suzy sighed. She knew it and she was still greedy. She wanted him to say it; she wanted to hear those words coming out form his mouth. 

"You do know that if I didn't have this illness, I would promise you." Myungsoo said. 

"I know." Suzy took a deep breath. "Can't you just promise it to me?" 

Myungsoo shook his head, "I can but I won't mean it." 

"Say it." 

After a minute of silence, Myungsoo promised. 

"I promise." He said. 

 

 It was winter when Suzy saw Myungsoo kissing a girl. They were seating in a park and Suzy somehow ended up in the same park too. She knew he had a girlfriend and ever since then, she'd try to avoid him without making it obvious.

Back then when Myungsoo asked her if she wanted a boyfriend and she said she was only 12, it seemed ridiculous to her just imagining getting kissed or kissing. However, now that they're 15 and it was a decent age to be in a relationship, that thought seems to slowly disappear. 

Suzy only found out her feelings towards Myungsoo when they were 14, last year. The day when she promised Myungsoo to never leave him and vice versa. She, somehow, hated and liked that day. She hated it because she got reminded about Myungsoo's illness but liked it because Myungsoo promised. She didn't care if he couldn't keep it. Screw the promise when it broke. Right now, the promise is still whole. 

She walked pass them slowly. Just when she was passed them, she heard someone call her name. The voice sounded a lot like Myungsoo's. She took a deep breath and turned around to face them. His girlfriend, Jiyeon, has a smirk on her face. 

"What?" Suzy coldly asked. 

"What are you doing here?" Myungsoo replied with a question. 

"Sorry. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to come to this place." 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, "What's wrong with you lately? You've been cold to me for the past few days." 

Suzy clapped in her head for Myungsoo. He actually noticed.

She shrugged and turned around, getting ready to leave.

Myungsoo seemed to be annoyed by her attitude. He stood up and grabbed her arm, spinning her around to face him. 

"I asked you a question, dumb ." He said through gritted teeth. "Now answer me." 

Yup, he was drunk. Suzy couldn't hide the feeling of getting hurt. It was the first time he ever swore at her and called her a . She shook it off however and yanked her arm free. 

"Are you drunk?" She was now whispering. 

Myungsoo scoffed, "Drunk?" 

Now it was time for Jiyeon to step in (who was also drunk but not as much as Myungsoo). She stood beside Myungsoo and laughed. 

"Myungsoo, I can't believe you hang out with a like her." A knife through Suzy's heart. "She's stupid and worthless." Another knife. "She's a waste of our time." And another. "She's a waste of your time." And another. 

Myungsoo started to laugh, "Don't say such things, honey." He pecked a kiss on Jiyeon's cheek. "Only I can say those things." 

And that did it. Suzy might as well have been cut open, pulled her organs out then put them back in but in the wrong places then stitch her up and burn her alive. 

"W-what did you say?" Suzy stuttered. 

"Aw, don't cry ." Myungsoo spat at her. "You look even uglier when you cry." 

Suzy felt the tears rolling down her cheeks. "I dare you to say that again, Kim Myungsoo." Even though she knew he was drunk and he had no idea what he was saying, she still told him to do so. 

"Whatever pleases you. You look even uglier when you cry." 

Suzy wasn't crying because she was hurt anymore, she was crying because she was angry. 

"Are you ing stupid, Myungsoo?" 

Myungsoo, still drunk, just smiled. "Yeah, sure." 

Suzy scoffed, "You know better than to get drunk like this." 

Myungsoo got distracted by Jiyeon. Jiyeon started to kiss his neck, slowly making her kisses to his face. 

Suzy was horrified by the scene. This entire image will scar her for life. 

She wasn't going to take anything from them anymore so continued where she left off, before Myungsoo stopped her. She turned around and left them. 

Myungsoo seemed to be getting back to his senses now; he was surprisingly quick at recovering. He saw Suzy walking away from him. He looked at the thing making contact with his skin only to realise it was Jiyeon. He knew he did something wrong since Suzy won't just walk away from him. He panicked a little, not knowing what to do. 

He soon decided to go after Suzy. He gently placed Jiyeon on a seat and told her to stay put while he went after Suzy. 

"Suzy!" He shouted. "Wait!" 

Suzy stopped for a bit but continued. "Why should I!?" 

"I'm sorry!" 

"Ha! Sure you are!" She shouted back.

In no time, Myungsoo already caught up with her. Like he did before yet slightly different, he grabbed her shoulder and spun her around. 

"I'm sorry," He repeated. "Truly sorry for what I did or say." He could see the hurt in her eyes, the anger and the sadness. 

"Why are you apologising if you don't know what you're sorry for?" 

"I know what I'm sorry for." He's voice was firm.

"What then?" 

"I'm sorry for hurting you." Suzy could see he was sincere through his eyes. "I'm sorry for being stupid." 

"I'm not hurt anymore, Myungsoo. Now please let go." She struggled to free herself. 

"Yes, you are. You're still hurt and acting like you're not only makes it worse." 

"Don't tell me what I feel. Let. Go." She stood closer to him, threatening him with her eyes. 

"No."

Suzy growled. She continued to struggle. "Just let go for God's sake." 

"No. Not until you accept my apology." 

Suzy stopped struggling and her eyes were softer, "Myungsoo, please. Let me go." 

Myungsoo loosened his grip but didn't let go. "I will never let go." 

"God dammit Myungsoo! What have I ever done to you!? Why can't you just let me go for freak's sake!?" She shouted at him. 

"Give me one reason to let you go!" He was now shouting, as well. 

"Because you should! Holding on to me is just hurting me more, okay? Ah, now I see it." She scoffed. "You want me to get hurt don't you? That's  it. That's why you don't want to let me go because you want to see me get hurt and suffer and all that type of ."

Myungsoo was taken aback by her answer. He found it funny in some way but forced his laughter back in. He raised his eyebrow and said, "That's stupid." 

Suzy groaned in annoyance and pulled her arm back. "Go the away Myungsoo and never show your stupid face to me again." With that said, she stormed off. 

Myungsoo was now angry at her. He apologised but she won't accept it. He's twisting his words and action and that's something he hates. And she knew it. 

"Fine!" He shouted after her. "Go! Like I give a single ! Don't come back crying to me when something goes wrong!" 

He wasn't even sure if Suzy heard it because she just continued on walking. She didn't turn around, she didn't shout. Little did he know, she did hear him. She didn't shout because she was crying silently to herself. 

 

They would laugh at those silly fights they use to have when they were younger. They were now 18 and everything seemed to be complicated now. They realised they had more responsibilities and everyone trusted them. Well, nearly everyone. 

It was sunny outside but they both decided to stay in. It was too hot and they were lazy and staying inside seems like a legit plan. They were sprawled on the couch while watching some random show on TV. 

Myungsoo was getting hungrier by the minute. All he could think about was food and what they should eat. When he couldn't take it, he sighed and asked Suzy, "Are you hungry? Let's eat." 

He didn't move and waited for a reply. When he didn't get any, he looked at her only to find her sleeping. 

"Aigoo." He smiled to himself. "You've only stayed awake for 2 hours and you're sleeping again." He shook his head. "Is work really that tiring?" He asked to the sleeping Suzy. Suzy moved a bit, making random noises when she did. Myungsoo found himself smiling again. 

He spotted a pen on the table and picked it up. He smiled evilly and started drawing random things on her face, making her look super funny. They would always do these types of things to each other, they didn't mind it. In fact, they find it quite amusing. 

When he was done, he proudly laughed. "That is one masterpiece. Well done, Myungsoo." He said as he patted his back.

He was about to put the pen away when Suzy's fabulous hand caught his eye. He slowly took her hand and started drawing a ring on her ring finger. 

"One day, this ring will be real." He whispered. "Once you've said yes, that is. Who am I kidding? You'd never say yes. Not to me. I'm just your best friend. I'm just another family to you." He sighed. 

He traced imaginary lines on her hand. "Even if you say no, it won't be enough for me to give up. I'll only give up if break your promise." He smiled bitterly. "The only thing that would break our promise is when you promise another guy the same thing. The promise you make to him on your wedding. If that happens, I'll give up completely." 

He kept quiet for a little while, still holding Suzy's hand. "I promise to never let go of your hand." He kissed it softly. "I promise to love you with all my heart." He put it back to where it belonged. "I promise to always be there for you. Even when you're not there for me." 

After he said that, he stood up slowly and made his way to the kitchen to get some food. 

 

 "Help me." Suzy pleaded Myungsoo. 

Myungsoo scoffed, "Should I remind you what you said to me before?" 

"And that is?" 

"You said "Go away. I don't need your help." He mimicked.

Suzy was clutching onto the tree, closed eyes. She was standing on one of the branches, refusing to jump off. It was Myungsoo's idea to climb trees and see the view from there. It wasn't really much of a view since Suzy didn't want to go up any further. Myungsoo 'forgot' that she was scared of heights. 

Suzy frowned, "I don't recall saying that now please help me." 

"Why should I?" 

"Because I said so!" 

"I'm not your slave!" 

"Are to!"

Myungsoo mouth pressed into a thin line. A slave, he thought. He got annoyed because that's what Suzy only sees him as other than a best friend. Suzy can be pretty bossy sometimes and there are times where he hated it. Even though Suzy might be joking, he was still annoyed. Maybe it was the fact that she treated him differently unlike the way she treated her boyfriend. What was he expecting? He was only a best friend, a family and a slave to her.

"I'm going. Bye." He said as he stormed off. 

"No!" Suzy screamed. "Don't go." 

Myungsoo didn't answer and continues to walk away.

"You promised!" Suzy shouted again. "You promise to never leave me." 

Myungsoo stopped in his tracks. He turned around to see Suzy, her eyes open now. They made eye contact and he could see the fear in Suzy's eyes. 

"I told you back then, I didn't mean it." He shouted back. 

"Fine! I'll just die here then."

"Suit yourself!" He turned back around and walked away, yet again. 

"Can you at least call Soohyun for me?" She said with hope. "At least he'll help me!" 

Myungsoo growled and stopped, again. He started to hate that name ever since Suzy dated him. Soohyun brought shame to his name. Myungsoo was over-reacting a little. He lost the battle with jealousy. He sighed and ran back to the tree where Suzy was. 

"Forget it! I'll help you down, you wimp." He started to climb up the tree and held his hand out to Suzy. 

Suzy smiled at him, then frowned and shook her head. "I'm still scared, Myungsoo."

"Well how else can I help you?" 

"Can't you give me a piggy back going down?" 

Myungsoo laughed, "The hell? I'm not Edward Cullen, you know."

"I know. You don't have the guts to do it." She stuck her tongue out. "And the muscles." 

Myungsoo hated it whenever she says stuff like this because he has to prove her wrong. 

"Get on my back, idiot." He said, offering her his back. "Don't blame me when we both break our bones." 

Suzy smiled, "You're the best, Myunggie!" 

Myungsoo's heart skipped a beat, "Stop calling me that." 

When Suzy was on his back, he carefully climbed down the tree. When they were close to the ground, he jump off and Suzy let out a small scream. 

"Why are you screaming?"

"Thanks Myungsoo." She whispered in his ears, tickling him. She rested her head on his shoulders and smiled. "Did I mention that you're the best?" 

"Are you tired?" Myungsoo asked, getting weaker by the minute because of her voice, her scent and her existence. 

"Hmm." Suzy answered. "I am." 

"Go to sleep. I'll wake you up when we arrive." 

"Hmm." Suzy quietly hummed. "Can you text Soohyun for me too? Tell him I'll be late for our date later." 

Myungsoo felt angry. After all he did for her, all she could still think of is Soohyun? Why can't she see that I love her, he thought. Stupid Kim Soohyun. It was clear before that jealousy took over him. But he was scared that his feelings would take over him too. 

 

 Suzy's dad offered her his arm. Suzy smiled shyly and accepted the offer. Suzy squeezed his arm gently. All eyes were on them and she was nervous. She hated being in the spotlight. She had to do it if she wanted Myungsoo to be hers. It was just for today anyway. She gave her dad one last smile and looked straight ahead. Then the music filled her ears and the whole entire place. 

She started to march. The floor, covered in flower petals. Every where she looked, there were a pair of eyes and smiling faces. It felt warm yet scary at the same time. Straight ahead, she could see him. She could see his smile, his perfect face. He looked really good in the suit he was wearing. The tie around his neck, made him look classier. What more could she ask for? Even though he didn't have his arms open, she could still feel him welcoming. Welcoming her to his heart.

When they reached the front, her dad gave his a tight hug. He smiled and nodded towards Myungsoo. Her dad took her hand and handed them to Myungsoo. 

"All yours." He said. "Take good care of her." 

Myungsoo grinned and nodded, "Thank you." Suzy could feel the blood rush to her cheeks. 

They walked up the stairs slowly, smiled at each other before looking back to the front, ready to make a life changing promise. 

However, something caught Suzy's attention. The tie around Myungsoo's neck was out of place. She leaned over to him and fixed it, making it neater. 

"There," She smiled. "All nice and neat." 

Myungsoo looked at her blankly before a smile broke on his face, "Thank you." 

 

 That day became the best day for them. The day that they would celebrate each year. The day that they made another promise. 

A promise that they will never break because, frankly, they loved each other so much that unicorns might as well exist. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before any of you ask, it is possible to stop breathing but your heart still breathing. 

When you hold your breath, your heart doesn't stop beating. 

On another note, thank you for reading and thank you for your wonderful comments. 

Please comment on what you think.

Also, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Have a good day/night!

 

Love, asdfghjklomg!

PS. Did the picture not gve the clue away? You know, the ring and Myungsoo and Suzy smiling and her hand with the ring on it. Haha.