일년전에

BEAST One-Shot Collection

 

SOORIN’S POV

There he was standing, waiting for me. I smiled. The most precious smile I could give to the most precious person.

 

________________________________________________________________

“I... like you.”

I froze as I heard those 3 words. Was I hearing things? Was everything a creation of my animate imagination? Was everything a dream? If it was... then can I just stay here?

“Soorin-ah. Kim Soorin.” My eyes grew wide as his voice woke me from my reverie; rather, proved me that everything wasn’t just a part of my reverie. It was a confirmation – a confirmation that everything was really happening; that everything was real. I almost flinched as I felt his finger on my face. That was the moment I realized I started crying.

“Are you... joking?” were the words I managed to utter between my sobs.

He chuckled. “Does everything I say sound like a joke to you?” he smiled. “And no, I am sure as hell that I am not joking,” he continued. His playful smile crawled back to his face. “Yah! Do you know how hard it was saying those words?!” But his smile disappeared as my sobs got heavier. “Hey, hey, I was just joking. I mean, no, I wasn’t joking. What? No, the last part was a joke but I really do like you. Hey,” he said, panicking.

I couldn’t help but chuckle. I must have looked crazy laughing while crying but whatever. “Ah, so cute,” I smiled, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hands.

“I just confessed... and that’s what you respond with...” he said as he bowed his head, disheartened.

I laughed again. “But you are cute,” I said again, pinching his cheek. Noticing that he still wasn’t budging from his sad posture, I wrapped my arms around his waist as I leaned my cheek on his chest. “Yoon Doojoon. Come on. I liked you to death even before you knew me. What made you think that any of that would change?” I tightened my embrace as I continued, “I like you. I like you. I. Like. You.”

After hearing what I said, I felt him envelope me in his arms as he kissed my hair. I may not see him, but I could feel him smiling. “You’re a loyal fan,” he said as he pulled me closer, as if it was possible. “You can’t look at others anymore now.”

“I never did... and I had no plans to.”

 

We were walking towards the door of my house and stopped at the porch. Before he could even bid goodnight I asked him the question that has been bugging me ever since today happened. “Doojoonie, why me?”

I could see he was a little surprised at first but just smiled lovingly after. “I don’t know.”

I could just look at him with confused eyes. “Come on. Think of something. You can’t just choose me like that,” I pouted.

“I chose you? Who said I chose you? Rather, who said I chose? There were no options. I never made way for options. There was you and only you from the start.”

I felt my heart quicken its beat as blood came rushing to my face. I bowed down, embarrassed. “But still. You must have something there...” I quietly said. “I’m not pretty to begin with.”

“Well, you’re not that pretty, okay, continue.”

I lifted my head as I pouted. He was smiling teasingly. I gently hit his chest earning a chuckle from him. “I’m not smart.”

“Oh, dear. You are wrong. You are smart. Smarter than all the thousands of fangirls out there. You found your way to me,” he laughed. “And I’m glad you did. But it’s still not the reason why.”

“Then why?” I whined.

“I don’t know, baby. And I couldn’t think of a reason why I loved you just as much as I couldn’t think of a reason why not, and how Icould not. I just love you. It happens you know,” he smiled.

I froze in my spot, my eyes glued to his. He, for the first time, told me loves me. I know he told me he liked me earlier, but hearing these words come from him, I felt my heart bursting with happiness. I finally managed to smile. “Oh, Yoon Doojoon. You are really good with words,” I said and kissed him on the cheek. “And I love you, too.”

“I know. I hear you screaming that loudly in our concerts,” he laughed.

“And you listen well, too. I’m impressed. Your girlfriend must be very proud.”

“Of course, she is. I’m doing my best to be someone she could be proud of,” he smiled.

“You don’t even have to try, she says.”

“But I want to. For her. Because I really do love her. For reasons I myself couldn’t fathom.”

I found no words worthy to respond to what he just said and found myself wrapping his waist in my embrace. “Why do you always make me feel like this?”

“Like what?”

“Like I’m the only girl that matters.”

“Because you are.”

 

********************************************

 

I wiped the bead of sweat trickling down my forehead as I smiled contentedly at my masterpiece: a Valentine’s cake. I felt both excited and nervous as I thought of tonight. We were going to celebrate our first Valentine’s day as a couple. And I didn’t want to spend it otherwise. I checked the time: 5 o’clock in the afternoon. It just gave me ample time to prepare for the dinner we were going to have on 7 o’clock.

I was panicking when it was already 7:30 and I still haven’t put my makeup on. I must have spent too much time bathing. I silently cursed myself when I accidentally burned my hand with the curling iron. I was worried that he might come anytime now, though a part of me was a little bit disappointed that he was late tonight. I knew it was something I had to be thankful for given my current chaotic situation but... wasn’t he as excited for tonight as I was?

I checked the time again: 10 o’clock. So I spent tonight waiting in vain. Way to spend a Valentine's day when you're not single. I sadly walked towards the couch in my living room and lied down, finally unable to stop my tears. Soon enough, I finally succumbed to slumber.

“Soorin-ah,” I heard someone wake me up. “Soorin-ah, I’m so sorry.”

My vision was still a bit blurry but I didn’t need to see to know who the owner of that voice was. “Oh, you came?” It was more of a surprised and frustrated statement than a question.

He helped me sat straight and faced me towards him, taking my hands in his. “I’m really sorry, Soorin. Our taping for a talk show went longer than expected. It was supposed to finish at 5 but this and that happened, we were able to wrap up at 11. I wasn’t able to call you either because the camera was on roll all the time. I called you after but you wouldn’t pick up. But believe me, I came rushing after the taping. I’m really sorry,” he said as he hugged me. “You... you cried, didn’t you? I can’t believe I made you cry. Tonight, especially. I’m really sorry,” he said as he my hair and buried his face in it.

I was surprised. How did he know? “Of course not. Why would I cry?” I lied.

“Don’t lie. Your mascara is all smeared up. I’m really sorry,” he apologized again.

“It’s okay. You’re here now,” I said, smiling as I pulled from the hug. It was only then that I realized he was still wearing makeup. I cupped his face with my hand and smiled. He leaned his face on my hand as he closed his eyes. I noticed how dark his circles were now. “You must be very tired,” I said, feeling guilty. “You should have just texted me and rested home. Look at you.”

He opened his eyes and smiled. “How will I be able to sleep when I miss someone so bad? This bad?” he said as he hugged me again, tighter this time.

I pulled away from the hug, stood a little bit and kissed his forehead. Then I sat on the end-most of the couch and tapped my lap. “Lie down,” I simply said.

“I’m glad I didn’t go home,” he smiled before lying down on the couch, his head on my lap. I was glad he was sporting his fringe down hairstyle. No hairspray was needed. I his soft hair as he closed his eyes. No words were spoken but the moment was perfect just the way it was. Soon enough, I could feel him finally drift away. He shifted to his side, his back against the backrest of the couch. He took one of my hands that was his hair and held it. “Goodnight, love,” I whispered. I could feel his warm breath against my hand. I smiled as I leaned forward and kissed his head.

“Goodnight, my love. I'll dream of you.

 

********************************************

 

DOOJOON’S POV

We were sitting by the shore, her hand in mine. Everything was so perfect: the sunset, the faint sound of the waves crashing on the shore, the birds flying at a distance, and her – most especially her. I stared at her intently as she tucked her hair behind her ear and watched the sun set. She was beautiful. Maybe not everybody would agree with me. She herself would sometimes wonder why I chose her when there were a lot of prettier girls around. They’re prettier, let’s say. But nobody could be as beautiful as her. And I’m happy that this beauty is beside me, holding my hand.

“Why?” she finally asked, noticing how I stared at her.

“I was just curious about something.”

“So you were trying to send brainwaves to me? Come on, telepathy is fiction, Doojoon,” she laughed.

Ever since we met, even when she was my fan, she never treated me as an idol. She treated me as she would treat non-idols, as a commoner. And I liked it. I poked her forehead playfully. “You silly,” I smiled.

“But really, what was it you were curious about?” she asked as she moved closer to me and leaned her head on my shoulder.

I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and kissed her hair. “You know, all fans younger than us call us oppa. Except you,” I said.

“We’re not going down that call-me-oppa road,” she said.

“What if I want to?” I asked.

She lifted her head and hit me. “Not gonna happen. Yoon. Doo. Joon.” she said as she stuck her tongue out and stood up.

“But I want you to,” I said as I stood up. “Come on.”

“Noooo~” she said and started walking.

“I’ll make you,” I said as I started tickling her.

She fought until she was free and ran away from me. I ran after her, laughing. Man, she ran too fast for a girl. I ran faster and headlocked her when she was within my reach. She struggled for me to let go but failed. “I’m tired,” she said, still laughing but now breathing heavily.

I let go of her and faced her to me. I was fixing her hair when I realized how close we were to each other. I tucked her hair behind her ear and cupped her face with my hand. I lifted her chin as I leaned closer until our lips finally met. We didn’t move. We just stayed like that for a while until we finally parted but our faces were still close to each other. “Oppa,” she finally said. I smiled as I kissed her again, only this time deeper. A few seconds later, she kissed me back as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

It wasn’t only our first kiss. It was also her first kiss. I’m her first kiss. I smiled.

 

********************************************

 

 “Happy anniversary, Oppa!” she cheerfully said as she hugged me. I hugged her back for a while and removed her arms around me.

“I know it has only been a year. We’ve been together for just a year.  It’s not a while, but for me, it felt like forever. But this, I want to end this. I want to end this relationship we have now,” I said.

She was starting to cry now. I felt incredible pain in my heart as I watched her tears fall, her eyes piercing through me. Why do I always make her cry?

“It’s just that... I no longer want you... to be just my girlfriend. Marry me. Please.”

________________________________________________________________

 

I felt my heart beat in an incredibly fast rate as I finally saw her, walking down the aisle, towards me, in rhythm with the music. Even at a distance, I could see her stopping her tears from falling as she was looking towards me, smiling sweetly. And that smile was enough to shoo all the nervousness I was feeling. That smile and its owner, was finally going to be mine forever. The moment I had her, I had a feeling she was going to hold an important place in my life. A year after, not only did I have the same feeling: I was sure of it. I felt it a year ago and none of it is going to change. Not even after a decade, a score, or a century after.

Because she isn’t just a part of my forever.

 

She is my forever.