A Rude Welcome

Legal Justifications

AN: Well, here I am with another story. I know I've kind of neglected Security Deposit, but this has been swriling around in my head for a while and has to come out. I think I will just try to stick to shorter updates so they can be more frequent. I'm pretty familar with the legal frield in the US, but know nothing about Korean law or law firms, so please dont take the details as facts. Anyway, enjoy! Also, if anyone knows where I can get some good pics for this fic, please let me know. My photoshop skills are terrible.

_____________________

Well this was not how he envisioned it, but it would have to suffice. As his ratty yellow sedan pulled up in front of a semi-questionable apartment building, Wooyoung puffed out his cheeks and blew out some air. His new home was nowhere near as luxurious as he had hoped it’d be 3 years ago when he started law school, but he figured he should be thankful that he even had a place to stay, and a job to pay for it, since so many of his fellow classmates were still looking for work and had moved back in with their parents. Temporarily of course. He’d enrolled in a pretty decent law school in Busan, and finished somewhere near the middle of the pack. At other schools, that would have been a sure recipe for unemployment, but through some careful maneuvering, diligent networking, and a little bit of luck, he had landed a position at a mid-sized firm in Seoul: Lee & Park.

His starting salary would be enough to cover his necessities, student loan payments, and some pocket money, but he’d have to carefully budget. A big part of that budgeting decision involved opting to share a small 2-bedroom apartment with a total stranger. His firm had told him about another incoming associate, one of three other new hires besides Wooyoung, who was also willing to share a space to keep costs down. The firm had arranged for everything, and even paid the deposit to secure the place, but everything happened pretty fast, and Wooyoung didn’t even know the other guy’s name. Hopefully he wasn't a total creeper.

The sun had long since set, as the drive for Busan took much longer than expected due to traffic on the highways. Being the sharp legal mind that he was, Wooyoung had prepared for this risk ahead of time, packing a small overnight bag that held all of his necessities for his first night. He grabbed his bag, locked the car doors (unnecessary of course, since nobody would be desperate enough to steal that rolling death trap of his), and headed towards the building. He’d memorized the code to the exterior doors from the letter L&P had sent, and pulled the key they had express mailed him from his back pocket. He climbed up to the second floor and found apartment 202, unlocked the door, and went inside.

When L&P said they prepared a small apartment, they really meant it. Wooyoung sighed, flicking on lights here and there to check out the space. The only furniture to be found was a couch in the living room that looked like it had seen better days, and a mini-breakfast table tucked in a corner near the kitchen. The bathroom was small, and there was only one so they’d have to share. Each bedroom looked as if it would fit a bed and a small dresser, but it would be tight. Wooyoung sighed again before turning off the lights and heading back to the living room.

Too lazy to unpack his bag and too tired to get undressed, he laid down on the couch and stared up and the ceiling. In the morning he’d have to go find some furniture and get his belongings from his car. He had no idea when his roommate would arrive, but work began in 3 days, so he was sure he’d be coming soon. Whoever this kid was, Wooyoung would simply have to worry about him later. He closed his eyes and let sleep take him.

***

Morning came as Wooyoung’s eyelids fluttered open. Light flooded in through the lone window in the living room, illuminating the space. The young man yawned and stretched, running his fingers through this blonde hair, and rubbing his stomach as he heard it growl. He figured he’d have to buy some food as well. Pulling his cellphone from his pocket he noted the time: 10:07. He sat up on the couch and rubbed his eyes, and that is when he saw him.

A figure lay huddled up on the floor, fast asleep and head resting on a red hoodie turned into a makeshift pillow. His back was turned so Wooyoung couldn't see his face, but even from this angle he could tell the man was tall. Wooyoung’s eyes scanned the room and saw a few suitcases stacked neatly in the corner. He must have gotten here where I was asleep, he thought to himself as he rose to his feet. Curious as he may have been, there was more important business to take care of first: bathroom.

After relieving himself, Wooyoung returned to the living room, this time getting a glimpse at the strangers face. The man had delicate features, almost feminine, and a mass of auburn hair that covered most of his forehead. His most striking features were his eyebrows, which Wooyoung was sure he was mistaking for two caterpillars resting on his face. His mouth was slightly parted, and his face was arranged a bit in a frown, surely a consequence of his uncomfortable sleeping position. Nevertheless, he was handsome; almost strangely so. He doesn’t look Korean though. I wonder where he is from?

Wooyoung’s inner thoughts were interrupted by his front door flying open and slamming against the wall, startling Wooyoung and scaring the stranger out of his sleep. In the doorway stood a young man with small eyes, which all but disappeared when saw Wooyoung and smiled.

“Oh hi there! I thought I saw someone last night!” the man said.

“Who are hell are you?! Why are you in my house?!” Wooyoung screamed. The man on the floor, still recovering from being so violently awakened, sat up straight, mouth open wide and eyes darting back and forth between the two men.

“I’m your new neighbor, neighbor!” the man said, walking forward and extending his hand. Wooyoung slightly recoiled and stared at the hand and the man attached to it.

“Junho, I told you to wait for me!” another voice said from the hallway. A tall man appeared in the doorway. “Why didn’t you wait?”

“Do you know this freak?!” Wooyoung asked, voice raised and clearly irritated. The man, who was apparently named Junho, frowned and pouted. “He just barged into my apartment!”

“Sorry, he’s just a bit… overenthusiastic. My name is Chansung, and this is Junho. We live down the hall. I think we are all working at Lee & Park now.”

Wooyoung furrowed his brows. The thought of working with someone as hyperactive as this Junho person did not sit well with him.

“Channie and I went to the same law school here in Seoul, and the company let us room together down in 206.” Junho said, still excited but not as much as before. “They told us to expect the other two new associates, and here you are!”

“Well, you could have at least knocked! I’m Wooyoung by the way.”

“And I’m Nichkhun,” Wooyoung’s new roommate said, finally joining the conversation. He yawned and ran his fingers through his hair, making it even more disheveled than it already was. Wooyoung found it… attractive? Why did he find it attractive?

“Nice to meet you Wooyoung and Nichkhun. How long have you known each other?”

“We don't,” Wooyoung said, probably a bit colder than necessary. Nichkhun raised an eyebrow while Junho let out an awkward laugh.

“Well, we’ll just be going so you guys can get settled,” Chansung said, grabbing Junho by the arm and pulling him towards the door. “Stop by later on if you want. We can tell you guys about some good places to eat around here.”

“Yeah, we can all go together!” Junho said. He let out a blinding grin. Wooyoung did not.

“Uhhh, yeah, we might do that. See you guys later,” Nichkhun said as Chansung nodded his head and closed the door behind him.

After Junho’s commotion the room seemed eerily quiet. Wooyoung and Nichkhun looked at each other awkwardly, not really knowing how to proceed from there.

“So, uhhh, Nitshikyun, was it?” Wooyoung said, instinctively entering the kitchen and opening the refrigerator, forgetting it was bare. He closed it back in disgust.

“Nichkhun. Wooyoung, right?”

“Yeah. I guess you got here sometime last night…”

“You were sleeping so I didn't want to wake you. I didn't bring a bed, and you were taking up the whole couch, so I slept on the floor.”

Wooyoung scowled.

“Well sooo-rrry. I didn't know anyone else would be coming. It’s too small to share anyway…” He didn't like this Nichkhun guy already.

“I didn’t mean it like that…”

“Whatever. I’m going out to get food. I don't know when I’ll be back.”

“Can I come with you? I haven’t eaten either and I still need to buy some stuff. Shouldn’t we just go together?”

“No, I don't really like hanging out with people I don't know. Plus I have a lot of  personal stuff to do. I’ll just see you when I get back,” Wooyoung said on his way out, shutting the door before the other man could respond.

“Well, fine. Huffy…”