What if?

Daydreams

Jongin made little motions with his body to the song blasting through one of his ears. He had spent all of his free time, that he should have been doing homework or studying, learning the dance to SHINee's latest single. Some fans owned every album, some made art of the boys and some harassed them constantly by following their every move. Every fan had their thing, and Jongin's was dancing. 

He was a 'closeted Shawol', as some might say. His parent's didn't know that he saved up the money that they gave him for lunch and 'field trips' to spend on every album they had out and merchandise, like the rubber bracelet he was currently impatiently twisting around his wrist, eyes glued to the clock. Eight minutes left. Eight minutes too long.

He loved all of the members of his favourite band, but one stood out to him more than the rest. The dancing maknae that inspired him everyday to practice and learn. If one person thought he did so much as compare to Taemin, he was sure his life would be complete. Taemin's dance moves were sharp when they needed to be and smooth at all the right times, he made no mistakes and managed to make it look effortless. Off stage, Jongin thought he was the cutest thing ever, with his bright smile and adorable laugh.

In Jongin's opinion, Taemin was perfect. The only complaint he had was how he touched the other members. Don't get him wrong, he loves all of the members. Onew with his...condition, Jonghyun's voice, Minho's charisma, Key's diva attitude. They were all amazing performers, but something about when Taemin showed them affection made Jongin burn with jealousy.

This confused the hell out of him. He had girlfriends in the past, that he really did like. He appreciates a girl, being cute, pretty or hot. He liked girls. Not guys.

Except Taemin.

He let his mind wonder like he always did at the end of class, daydreaming about impossible scenarios to pass the time.

SHINee could all walk in here right now and take me away. I could be their towel boy forever and make them breakfast everyday and bring water to them backstage. Then Taemin would fall in love with me and...

No!

Jongin shook his head of his thoughts. He tried not to think too much about the way Taemin made him feel, it confused him. He looked at the clock. Five minutes.

The teacher was interrupted abruptly by a knock on the door which he went to go answer immediately, warning the class that his ears would be open to anything they were doing and to stay on their best behavior. This didn't phase Jongin at all because he hadn't been paying attention anyway, this just meant less to catch up on the night before a test. He shivered a little, the open door bringing in some of the cold air in from the empty hallway to his seat that was positioned near the exit, for obvious reasons.

The teacher returned with a somewhat shell shocked look on his face. He stood at the front of the class and began to speak with an excited tone that Jongin had only heard once before when the man was talking about some mathematician that was coming in to make a presentation, so Jongin didn't get too excited when the teacher delivered the class some "thrilling news".

"Class, we are ending a little early today because we have a very special guest that has made an appearance at our school. Please focus your attention to the back of the room."

The only thing Jongin was turning around for was to stand up and leave, so he didn't listen to his teacher and continued to tap to the beat of his music at his desk. All until the guest spoke.

"Hello."

No.

Impossible.

Jongin recognized the voice all too well, yanking his headphone out of his ear to make sure he heard right. 

"I'm looking for Kim Jongin. Is he here?"

Jongin froze, a jolt shooting up his entire body. His back was now perfectly straight and his eyes began to well. Every word the boy behind him spoke reassured his theory even more. He gulped, eyed widening and heart rate increasing as his palms got sweaty and mouth began to dry. Not only was he here, but he was here for him.

"Jongin, you are excused." The teacher spoke, confusion in his tone.

Jongin stood slowly, moving mechanically as he blinked back tears and his hands started to shake. He turned even slower then he had stood, lips parting slowly and a gasp escaping his lips when he was met with the view of his idol, role model, and motivation for everything he did. His mind was spinning, heart racing. He was almost incoherent.

"Hi, Jongin. I'm Taemin, and I have some things I want to talk to you about. Can you come with me?" The boy said with a wide smile sending a jolt to Jongin's heart. He let out a shaky breath and nodded numbly.

"Great, come on then."

Jongin watched the boy turn and begin walking. He shook his head furiously a couple of times, right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot. How was he forgetting how to walk? His vision was getting blurring and he found himself standing in the hallway with Taemin, the other boy so warm and friendly as Jongin stood with a look on his face like he just watched an animal get hit by a car. 

He managed to calm himself down slightly by convincing himself that this was just a dream, that it didn't matter because eventually he would just wake up and Taemin would be gone completely. None of this would have ever happened anywhere but inside his own head.

Taemin's welcoming smile was almost as unfaltering as Jongin's of pure shock as he spoke. "I'm going to try and make this short before the halls get flooded, so here goes. My company is interested in you and they let me be the one to come tell you. If you have some free time we can go somewhere and grab some coffee and I'll tell you more."

Jongin raised his hand to cover up his wide open mouth. His eyes automatically filled with tears and he bent over slightly, letting out a small sob. This was the breaking moment for him mentally, realizing that this might actually be reality, that Taemin was not only standing in front of him, but also telling him that everything he has worked for may actually be paying off.

Taemin laughed, patting the other on the back. Jongin in a breath at the contact, then laughed through his tears. Taemin gave another small chuckle before motioning for Jongin to follow him out of the school. "I'll take that as a yes."

"Yes. Yes and yes. And also yes." Jongin sputtered, collecting himself enough to form some sort of response as well as rush up to the other boy who was already out the door. Taemin threw his head back and let out another laugh.

"Seem's like you're a character Jongin. I think we are going to get along well."

~~~

They two sat at a table at a coffee shop that was about ten minutes driving distance from Jongin's school. Taemin sat casually, drinking an iced coffee slowly and humming to the music that was softly playing through the radio located in the corner of the two-tabled room. The shop was completely dead, but Jongin guessed that Taemin knew that coming in. He was famous after all.

Jongin on the other end was letting out uneven breaths and shaking his leg, hardly touching his drink. He tried to not stare at Taemin for too long, somewhat unsuccessfully. He was constantly shifting around in his seat biting his lip to the point where he tasted copper indicating he had actually broken the skin.

"I'm sorry Jongin, you probably want me to explain more. I forgot how exciting this must be for you. Nice bracelet by the way." Taemin said, nodding to the other boy's wrist.

"Oh! I-uh." Jongin stuttered, shoving his hand under the table and pulling the band off.

"No, leave it on. The light blue looks good on your skintone." Taemin's words made Jongin smile and look down at his lap shyly. "Okay so I owe you an explanation. Basically I was spending a while on the internet and stumblled onto your video's. You know, the dance covers you do for our songs? Well I was really impressed. I showed them to my manager and was told to take it high if this was something I believed in. And believe me it is. So I did. They said they were going to send someone for you, but I wanted to come myself. I wanted to see your reaction, and I'm really glad I did because you kinda freaked out.'

Holy. .

Jongin sat in awe for a few seconds, taking in the fact that Taemin had watched his dancing and liked it. This was the best compliment Jongin could have ever received. The boy who spent hours learning these dances and performing it to large crowds a ridiculous amount of times saw his version and thought it was good enough for him to become a trainee. He couldn't wrap his mind around this, at all. Taemin knew every detail of the dances, he probably saw every mistake he made!

Jongin gathered himself up mentally. He had time to freak out later, now he needed to put on a cool front for Taemin. He swallowed hard. "I-I'm sorry, I probably seem so uncool right now. This just means so much to me, especially coming from you of all people. You're dancing is mind blowing, so for you to even think mine is decent makes me want to roll off a cliff. But in a good way. I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm trying to say."

Taemin reached across the table to place a comforting hand on Jongin's that was on top of the table, a friendly gesture that nonetheless send shivers down the younger's spine. "Don't be sorry, I understand how insane this probably is for you. I've been there, trust me. And you need to be more confident if you want to come in, which you have every right to be because you are one of the best dancers I've seen."

"Holy , thank you so much." Jongin said, biting his tongue at his cursing, not wanting Taemin to think he was disrespectful.

"My pleasure. You seem pretty cool, so I'm going to trust you with my personal number. I'll give you some time to wrap your head around all of this, so call me when you're ready and we can set you up for a formal audition. Okay?"

Jongin nodded furiously and childishly before mustering a weak smile. "Yeah, for sure! I'll put it in my phone then burn the evidence."

"Oh god, you're adorable, the company is going to eat you up." Taemin smiled before standing up. "I'll give you a ride home."

"O-okay. Thank you." Jongin forced out, surprised by Taemin's words.

So, according to Taemin he was a good dancer, a character, and adorable. 

Therefore it's official, he was a good dancer, a character and adorable. That, and the luckiest guy on the planet.