The Princess or the Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

The couple strolled along the snow-covered streets of Seoul, hugging each other for warmth. It was a cold winter day, but the couple enjoyed it. They bent down to grab a handful of snow and threw it at each other. When their mini snowfight ended after a few mintues, they continued on their way. They passed by a little shop which wouldn't have been noticed by the couple if not for his sharp eyes. Spotting something he knew his girlfriend would like, Kyuhyun stopped and dragged the mildly protesting female into the store. She continued to protest as he dragged her around the tiny store searching for the one thing that had caught his eye. Finally spotting the item in the back of the store, he made his purchase. As they exited the store, he placed the small tiara he had bought in her hair. "There, now you're a real princess. You're my Cinderella."

A light blush tinted Seohyun's beautifully pale cheeks. "But I don't want to be Cinderella..." she said.

Confused, Kyuhyun asked, "But she's your favorite princess. If you don't want to be her, then which princess would you prefer?"

She smiled at him softly and answered, "I'd rather be the fairy godmother".

Even more confused, Kyuhyun asked her what she meant. "Wouldn't you rather be the pretty Princess though?

She replied, "The fairy godmother may seem to be a minor character in Cinderella, but without her Cinderella would have never met the Prince, much less marry him. The fairy godmother brought so much joy to the people around her. That's the type of person I want to be. "

Nodding slowly at her words, Kyuhyun pretended to understand what she said. He still didn't fully comprehend why she would preferred not be the princess, but he did know he loved her caring personality. Regardless of who it was, Seohyun would do her best to take care of them and make them feel protected. That was the type of person she was, and it was that particular characteristic that attracted him in the beginning.

 

In the following weeks, a girl befriends Kyuhyun. Her name was Victoria, and she was beautiful. Her appearance made everyone turn their heads. A beautiful foreigner, Seohyun came to think of her.  Throughout that period, Seohyun felt a little jealous at the attention the new female was getting from her boyfriend. In the weeks they had known each other, Kyuhyun and Victoria became close friends. However, Seohyun kept her jealously to herself. Deciding to treat him the same way she always did, she said nothing about his growing bond with Victoria.

More weeks pass and it becomes obvious that Kyuhyun is slowly getting attracted to the foreigner. And judging by the looks Victoria was giving Kyuhyun, the feelings were mutual. Seohyun sees this, but decides to stay quiet upon the matter. Her heart is slowly cracking, but she remains strong for him. Seeing her hurt would only hurt him, and hurting him was the last thing she wanted to do.

But her resolve finally cracked and she grew fed up with him. It was now fifth time he called to tell her that they couldn't meet up because Victoria had already made plans with him. Deciding once and for all to end this, Seohyun asked if she could talk to him quickly at the place he and Victoria were supposed to meet up before the latter came. Slightly confused and nervous at her serious tone, he quickly agreed and tells her the location of the cafe the two are supposed to meet up.

She quickly headed over to the cafe and found her boyfriend sitting at a table for two. Sitting down in the other unoccupied seat, she asked him if he likes Victoria.

Stuttering, he denied it even though he knows he's already fallen for the other girl. “S-seohyun, what are you talking about? You know the person I love is you.”

Seohyun just smiled at him and said, “I’m completely fine with it.”

Even more confused now, he asked, “Y-you’re fine with it?”

And her reply was simple. “Remember how you asked which Princess I want to be and I replied that I would prefer to be the fairy godmother? I want to be that fairy godmother that makes people happy. If you’re happier with her, then I will let you go. I truly love you, Kyu. I don't want to be an obstacle in your search for true happiness, so I will do whatever I need to do so you can achieve it. If letting you go will let you live a happier life, then so be it.”

Her miniature speech done, the bells on the doors of the café jangled. Victoria walked into the cafe just as Seohyun finished what she needed to say to Kyuhyun. Seohyun stood up, allowing the other girl to sit in her seat. Giving the two a genuine smile, she told Kyuhyun, “I hope you'll be happy together.”

Seeing the shocked look on Victoria’s face, Seohyun asks her to take care of the boyfriend. “I think of you as my unnie, and the only thing I ask of you is to take care of him in my place.”

Her wishes said, she exited the cafe and finally unleashed the tears she had fought while talking to the two. She headed home with her heart broken and tears streaming down her face. Laced in between the feelings of pain, however, was a feeling of bittersweet accomplishment. As much as it hurt, she knew deep in her heart that she did the right thing by allowing Kyuhyun and Victoria to be together.

Sitting on the couch in her living room, she popped in one of her favorite movies. She settled down, and the movie began.

"Once upon a time in a faraway land, there was a tiny kingdom, peaceful, prosperous, and rich in romance and tradition. Here in a stately chateau, there lived a widowed gentleman and his little daughter, Cinderella...."

Not all princesses get their happy endings and she let her Prince Charming go. But for now, being the fairy godmother was enough because she will find her Prince someday; the Prince who will truly make her happy, the way she had made her Kyuhyun happy.


A/N: Honestly not my best fic in the least. There are probably typos everywhere, my tenses are all messed up, and my grammar is probably off in a lot of places. Ah well, it's almost 1 am and I have school tomorrow, so this'll have to do for now OTL. Hope you guys liked this~