A Perfect New Year's Welcome

New Year's Eve

 

Key was surprised with the initial attention he got around the office. Usually it was girls who'd first figure out that he was gay. Clearly this wasn't happening anytime soon and things were getting too skin-crawling, hair-raising and just plainly weird for him that he had to clear it up. It was a bit funny to him though since telling them that he was gay seemed like he was coming out of the proverbial closet he was never in, in the first place. Initially, the ladies felt pathetic for trying to get with a gay guy but Key was more than happy to wave the whole thing off so long as it was never spoken off again.

 

All is well in the office. Taecyeon wasn't surprised at how easy people had warmed up to Key and didn't make a fuss about his orientation. There are some of course who felt uncomfortable with the blonde's boldness, but Key makes no apologies for who he is and speaking his mind. His honesty and reason is backed up by philosophical and scientific knowledge, it makes it that much harder to prove him wrong.

 

Soon, Key was officially hired by the firm to be Taecyeon's assistant. And with projects pouring in, the two had become closer. Key has become the only other consistent person in Taec's life, aside from Chansung, without any of them noticing. It was as if everything was as it should be.

 

"Key, are we still on for the movies?" Taec looked out of his office window realizing whose voice it was. Yes, everything seemed perfect until that guy came. Jonghyun from the firm's Tokyo office. He got transferred here and has been, almost unbearably, close to Key. Sure he and Key still talked regularly but the closeness (not to mention, obvious skinship) between the two has made Taec-

 

"You're jealous aren't you?" Chansung mused seeing how Taec had been clenching his jaw the entire time he was watching Jonghyun and Key's interaction.

 

Taecyeon snapped his head, eyes growing wide, as he looked at his best friend. "That's absurd! Why would you even suggest that?" He tried to feign innocence which earned him a punch in the arm.

 

"Don't act like I haven't known you since middle school, douche bag. You can deny it all you want but I'm not buying it. You know how you feel." Taecyeon moved to the door immediately and closed it knowing he can't escape this talk.

 

"And what if I don't know how I feel? It's not like this happens normally."

 

"That's why I'm telling you man, you're jealous. Have you ever thought of the possibility that you might have developed feelings for your assistant?" Both of them shivered at that, mainly because they don't often get into conversations this deep. The last time they had such a talk was when Taec was a mess after seeing his father cheating on his mom just before their freshmen year in high school. Shortly after that, Taec's parents got divorced thus leading him to believe that relationships never last and decided that it wasn't worth the pain.

 

"Feelings? What feelings?" Taec asked as if it wasn't obvious enough what the other was suggesting. The knowing look Chansung gave him caused him to shake his head. "Man, no! What's next? Are you gonna break out into a song or some cliché line from a chick flick?"

 

Chansung threw the football figure stress ball that he was holding to his best friend. "." He said with a chuckle. "I'm just saying, not everything is and has to end up like how your parents did. And you're right, this isn't normal. It's not every day your best friend who's straight as an arrow falls for another guy. Look around you, stuff happen every day that's beyond the norm... It all boils down to you getting your together and which change you deem is worth embracing."

 

Taecyeon took a side glance to his window seeing Key leaning against Jonghyun's shoulder, both of them laughing over something. He and his best friend kept talking but his mind was barely into the conversation as he was pondering over things.

 

What he didn't know was that Jonghyun had noticed he was watching them. The same way he had noticed the shift in Taecyeon's stance every time he approached Key in front of him; or the way his jaws would clench whenever he tried to fight the aching frown that threatened to give away how affected he really is every time Jonghyun and Key had any sort of skin to skin contact. And it is at that moment that he had the brightest damn idea his mind conjured up.

 

"Aaaack!" Key exclaimed bringing a hand up to push Jonghyun's face away and wiping his cheek with his other hand at the same time. "What the hell, Jjong? That was like a hair away from my mouth, you !"

 

Jonghyun couldn't help but laugh at his reaction. He expected his best friend let out a disgust-filled expression no less, but seeing his face up close, face scrunched like he was on the brink of nauseating laced with shock, he just found it entertaining. This was how their friendship was like. As much as they like almost all the same stuff, he knew Key had too much sass to act sweet and affectionate amongst his friends.

 

"You doofus! This is no laughing matter. I'd like to actually keep the lovely food I ate in my stomach, thank you very much." The younger retorted, shoving a small bun in Jonghyun's open mouth.

 

The other had to compose himself before answering. "Sorry Key. I mean... Even knowing how you are, nothing could've prepared me for that kind of reaction. Are you sure you'd rather be in advertising and PR than in front of the camera?"

 

"And have people tune into my life like its some drama on TV... Thanks but I actually value a bit of privacy and personal space, unlike you who has no sense of the term. Why'd you do that anyway?" The blonde said, sneakily flicking crumbs off his workspace and onto Jonghyun for revenge.

 

"Are you serious?" Came the older's disbelief. "Don't even tell me you haven't noticed how your boss is all over you."

 

"What? Taec?" Key shook his head dismissively. He's accustomed to calling him that since the other has never insisted on formalities even inside the office. "Don't be ridiculous Jjong. He's straight as a pole, probably straighter if that's even possible."

 

"So you've never wished for there to be even just a speck of a chance for the two of you?" Jonghyun took the time to glance at their subject, sitting straight up by now and sneaking side glances at them, probably from noticing his move earlier, as Key was busy organizing his things.

 

Key paused thoughtfully. "I mean I like him. He's not as tense as he seems, you know. Quite frankly... If I had to imagine an ideal guy, he'd be it." He shrugged.

 

"Oh come on, could you two be anymore cliché?"

 

"Jjong, what exactly are you getting at?"

 

"Key, he digs you. Someone as keen as you, I'm sure you've noticed that but you're too stubborn to entertain that fact."

 

"Look..." Key let out a deep sigh. "I've been gay since I could remember and I went through hell and back for it. Sure I'm fine now. I've learned how to work my way around it just to get the normalcy I deserve as a person. But he doesn't. He's going into this whole thing blind. Could you imagine how tough it'd be for anyone who grew up straight, or as people would say, normal, like him? And you know I'm not looking into having flings or hook-ups."

 

"What if he wants the same thing you do, a real relationship?" Jonghyun was persistent. He knew that behind every proud smile that stretched on the younger's face lays Key's fragile heart. It wasn't until they've been friends for 3 months that he found out about Key's past. It's a very sensitive subject for the younger and if his brother hadn't accidentally mentioned something about it, it might have taken longer for him to open up.

 

Honestly, Jonghyun admires Key greatly. The younger has endured way too much for any human being, let alone for a 23 year old like him. Like his brother warned Jonghyun, Key has gotten so good at putting up defence mechanisms over the years that it's almost impossible to tell when he's being genuinely happy or he's holding something in; so despite having turned out as smart, bold and proud as he is, Jonghyun can't help but be more protective of Key.

 

"Jjong, why are you suddenly so insistent on this? You're acting like you're gonna lose your balls over this." Key spat, putting on his best snarky tone to ease the seriousness of their topic.

 

Key jolted almost spilling water on himself when the older slapped his arm reflexively at his statement. "I'm just looking out for your best interest."

 

"Thank you..." The blonde looked genuinely at his round-eyed friend before adding 'dad' to complete his statement, just to . He was returned with an eye roll. "Okay, okay. I get what you're saying. I just don't want to get my hopes up. If he decides to pursue me then hell yeah, I'm all for it. But right now, I need something more than a hunch and your ever trustworthy he-digs-you judgement, to hope for anything. Just drop this okay? Now go do what this company is paying you for, lazy-." Key shoo-ed the shorter away to get back to his work.

 

Of course Jonghyun, being just as stubborn as the other is, couldn't leave the matter well enough alone. So weeks after observing Taecyeon and Key, almost pulling all his hairs out in frustration for the lack of progress, he decided to screw the best friend code and talk to Taecyeon himself. He was careful not to reveal what wasn't necessary for him to but told him enough to make the older think.

 

In reality, Taecyeon really didn't need much thinking if he could take the changes that would happen if he dated Key. He's spent a fair amount of time with the younger, outside the office, that gave him an idea of how things could be if they ever dated. He actually couldn't care any less about those things. What he needed to think through was the idea of him committing to someone. The idea of growing together with someone enticed him and scared him at the same time. The idea of possibly screwing things up and losing Key both as a partner and friend tormented him.

 

With a bit more pep talk from Chansung and his new friend/secret informant, Jonghyun, Taecyeon eventually decided that he couldn't let his fears run his life. He started small of course; in the form of flirting.

 

Alas. Taecyeon and Key went from friends-denying-the-agonizing-ual-tension-and-attraction-between-them to openly flirting. It was exciting to see the two together, lingering touches, eye contacts and smiles that spoke volumes...

 

It's New Year's Eve and the rooftop of the building was filled with employees and their plus ones. Taecyeon had finally had it with the flirting and just want to be able to call Key his. He wanted an answer from Key and he wanted it tonight. He thought all hope was lost when Key came in with a guy. Thankfully, he learned quickly that the guy is Key's brother. Endearing of the blonde, he thought, to have such closeness with his brother and oh did he fall for Key more.

 

Key seemed to be picking up slowly tonight. Taecyeon was down to plan G, the last of his plans, and still, the younger thought it was all just flirting. The guy has either shook the subject off, failed to notice the implication and truth in Taecyeon's confession (which unintentionally came off as subtle), or offered nothing more than a sultry smile.

 

Frustrated, Taecyeon followed Key into the comfort room, the only sort of privacy they could get from the loud party. He found his source of frustration threw a crumpled bunch of tissues in the waste bin, a curious look directed to him. Just as he was about to talk, muffled whispers and laboured breaths resonated and they realized they weren't alone in there. The taller reacted by impulse and pulled the other into the farthest cubicle from the source of the noise.

 

"What the hell?" Key whispered the surprise in it still obvious.

 

"It'd be awkward if they saw us out there. They might think we're spying on them." Taecyeon answered and wished that it'd be enough for Key until the couple finished and went out.

 

"Right. Because this..." Key waved his hand gesturing to the two of them. "...doesn't have spying written all over it."

 

Taecyeon looked at the other with pure adoration. "You just can't shut up can you." He stated like it was the most amusing thing.

 

Key broke into a cheeky smile that made the other fight with his dear life to keep the blush from creeping into his cheeks. It reminded him of the first time he talked to Key, how cute he was. Without thinking twice, he reached out to pull Key into a breathtaking kiss and just like that, time seemed to have stood still for them.

 

Pulling up after who knows how long, Taecyeon felt like he was on cloud nine. "I... I'm..." Great! His brilliant mind picked the perfect timing to go blank.

 

"Took you long enough." Key muttered, breath ghosting on the other's lips. "And that's a yes. I think we could make this work." That was all the answer Taecyeon needed, his heart felt like it did a back flip in his chest.

 

The sound of people counting down to the last few seconds of the year broke their almost perfect moment and Key made a move to go out.

 

"Damnit! Hurry, I don't wanna miss the fireworks." Key gestured for the taller to follow him.

 

"Wait, no, they could still be in here." Taecyeon tried pulling the blonde back but he had no such luck.

 

"2! 1! Happy New Year!"                              

 

Just as Taecyeon moved out of the stall, the couple emerged from the farthest end, checking each other's clothing and giggling.

 

"KIM ING JONGHYUN!" Taecyeon took a step back, surprised to see Key flaring, glare sure to dissolve the owner of the name. He caught Key by the waist, lifting him off the floor a bit and only remembering then how light he actually was, as he launched at Jonghyun. "You shameless ! It's not enough that you corrupted Taemin, my baby brother, in my own home? Now you do him in public?"

 

"Oh come on Key. Is that how you greet your best friend?" The -eating grin Jonghyun had made Key hold on to every word that was to come. "Don't act so innocent. You've mentioned-" And just before he could say the rest , Key kicked him on the shin.

 

Key stormed out, hand in hand with Taecyeon, in time to watch the fireworks display finale. There was no protest from the blonde though when Taecyeon pulled him, arms snaking around his slim waist, and kissed him again. It was sweet and nice, and every bit as perfect as the one they had earlier.