Ending

Who Will It Be?

 

Eun Mi 
 
A few months later, I ran into him again. 
 
I was on my way home after a long day of teaching and dealing with the kids. Whenever I was burned out of energy and tired, a nice cup of tea from the coffee shop near the school would help. While checking my phone for missed calls, I pulled opened the coffee shop’s door. All of a sudden, I felt something warm spread on my shirt, below my chest. 
 
I looked up, straight into Dayday’s face. I’m willing to bet he was as surprised as I was.
 
He recovered first. Realizing we were standing in the middle of the doorway, he propelled me towards a table and started pulling out napkins for me to lessen the spill on my shirt. 
 
“I’m so sorry. Why don’t you let me buy you a cup of coffee or whatever?” 
 
I was able to work up a reluctant smile. “It’s okay, no worries.”
 
“No, let me,” Dayday argued. 
 
I agreed, and he went up to the counter to get me that cup of tea that I had wanted. He came back and placed it in front of me before settling down in his seat. 
 
“So, how’s life been treating you lately?” I asked. Since we were here, might as well catch up. 
 
“Alright. I’ve been doing well. What about you?” He smiled at me and took a sip of his coffee. 
 
“Same old. I’m teaching ninth grade right now though.”
 
He nodded. “Oh, that’s nice.”
 
Dayday took the jump first and asked the question we had been dying to ask each other from the very beginning.
 
“Are you with anyone now?” 
 
I folded the napkin into a triangle while answering. “Yeah, I am.” I didn’t go further. He could probably guess who it was. “You?”
 
“I am.” 
 
Two words that gave me a pang near my heart. 
 
I smiled at him. “That’s nice. What’s she like?” 
 
“Oh, ya know, friendly, slightly moody, brilliant.” There was a small smile on his face as he answered. 
 
No, Dayday, I didn’t know. 
 
I glanced at my phone. It was past time to get home for dinner. 
 
“Well, this was really nice catching up, but I’ve gotta get going.” I stood up and swung my bag over my shoulder. 
 
“Yeah, for sure. We should do this again sometime. I’m really sorry about the spill by the way.” 
 
“It’s okay. See you then.” I waved and headed out. 
 
______________________________________
 
I parked the car in the garage and stepped into the house. 
 
“I’m home!” 
 
“In the kitchen,” his voice called out. 
 
I dropped my bag and the students’ essays on the couch and rushed to the kitchen. 
 
He was by the sink washing something. I walked up to him and s my arms around his waist, hugging him tight. We stayed like that for a little bit before he turned around to face me and embraced me as well. 
 
“I missed you too,” he teased me. 
 
I leaned my head against his chest, listening to his heartbeat. “I saw that guy today.”
 
“Oh really.”
 
“Yeah. He spilled coffee on me.”
 
He laughed. 
 
I sighed. “I love you, Dari.”
 
Dari smiled down at me. “I love you too.”
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
The story is now complete! What did you guys think? :D