Final

Silence

Class had started off like any other day, _____ had taken her seat in the back quietly and everyone avoided her like usual, but when the transfer student walked in, something instantly felt weird. The whispers weren’t exactly quiet, so she tried to hear everything that the students were saying.

          “That’s Leo, the mute kid from the class down the hall,”

          “Is he really a mute?”

          “I dunno, no one’s ever heard him say a word, why else would he not talk?”

Mute? _____ thought to herself. A small smile formed on her usually emotionless face, although she wasn’t sure why. He greeted the teacher politely and handed him a small slip of paper. The teacher motioned to the only free seat in the class, which just so happened to be beside _____.  Her heart began to pound against her chest; would he be like the rest of the kids in her class? Would he think she was a freak and avoid her like everyone did? He was gorgeous, she thought, forcing her eyes not to follow his movements. He could take over the school if he wanted. Pushing the thoughts to the back of her mind, she focused on her notes, listening intently to the teacher lecture the entire class period.

For the first few months it continued like that, neither of the two acknowledging the other, but one day their teacher unknowingly changed that.

          “For our final project, you will be partnered with the person beside you,” he smiled, back turned to write the instructions on the board.

This was it, _____ thought; she would have to talk to him now. She wasn’t used to talking to anyone, how would she even start a conversation? Luckily, the mysterious boy beside her made the first (and only) move.

          “Leo,” he said softly, reaching his hand out to shake hers. With her heart beating against her body so hard she was sure he could hear it, she reached for his hand in return.

          “______,” she replied, smiling softly at her new partner. Those were the only words ever spoken between the two, but it was all they needed. While working in the library both would say nothing and just pass the papers to each other with silent nods, both believing that words weren’t needed in their strange “relationship.”

Working together in the library slowly became after school visits to each other’s houses and then turned into something entirely different. They became each other’s lifelines, the only thing that kept them going. If one was sick at home, the other would barely be able to function at school. It was unhealthy, they both knew that, but they couldn’t give it up. No one understood how they even kept a friendship alive; they never spoke to each other. Even after the project was over, they stuck to each other like glue.

______ did try to start a conversation once, but that led to her being more embarrassed than anything.  

          “Leo,” she started, not daring to look at his eyes. She saw his neck turn slowly to look at her before he shook his head.

          “Taekwoon actually, Leo is just a name I tell the people I don’t want to talk to,” he said with a smile inching the corners of his mouth. _____ wasn’t sure what to say after that, so she just nodded and examined the grass under the park bench.

The thing they bonded over more than anything was music, both having a passion for singing. Even then, they barely spoke at all. _____ loved finding a new song that she would get addicted to and then show it to Taekwoon. She would lightly tap him on the shoulder and hand him one of her headphones, making sure their fingers didn’t touch, and wait for him to nod before she turned the song on. After it ended, all it would take was a nod and a smile twitching the sides of his lips to let her know that he loved it too. Music was the only sounds they would purposely let invade their otherwise silent world.   

On one of their after school walks around the park, which usually stayed silent, Taekwoon pulled _____ near an empty bench and sat staring at her intently. She was shocked by the almost nonexistent contact, but sat across from him anyways, trying to understand his expression and failing miserably. There was a strange confusion in his eyes, mixed with a slight bit of fear. She had learned to read his eyes like a book, but this time she felt more confused than assured.

          “_____,” he started, looking to the ground before searching for the right words to say. ______ was too focused on the sound of his voice to wonder what he was thinking. She had only heard him say his name once, and that was weeks ago. His voice seemed melodic somehow, almost like he was singing even though he was talking normally. It was soft and calculated, like his entire life relied on what he was going to say.

          “I know we don’t talk like normal people, but I was wondering… Maybe you’d like to be my girlfriend? You’re the one person who seems to understand me and enjoys the quiet as much as I do,” he said, his voice no louder than a whisper. What if she said no? Was he moving too fast? It had only been a few months, but everything about them felt right. He was pulled out of his thoughts by a delicate hand moving to rest on his.

          “Of course I’d like to be your girlfriend,” _____ replied, smiling as her face turned a dark shade of red. She had been thinking the same thing, but could never bring herself to ask him how he felt.

Truth be told, neither one of them knew how a “real” relationship was supposed to work, but neither were willing to change from the norm anyway. The skinship started out awkwardly; Taekwoon blushing darkly every time he’d reach for _____’s hand and she wouldn’t even attempt any kind of contact.

One day, Taekwoon had finally found his breaking point. It had been 3 months and neither of them had made any progress towards their relationship. They were sitting at the picnic table in the middle of their favorite park. _____ was sitting with her chin in her hands, watching the nature move around her. The couples running freely were bothering Taekwoon, she could see it in his eyes, but she couldn't figure out why.

The other couples were laughing, holding hands, and hugging while enjoying the warmth from the sun. They all looked so happy and that thought kept digging into his mind. Was it that _____ wasn’t happy? Is that why she didn’t want to hold his hand?  Why weren’t they carefree and comfortable with each other? If there was anything Taekwoon didn’t want, it was for ______ to be unhappy. Not thinking, he slammed his hands down on the table, effectively scaring _____ into standing up.

          “Why aren’t we like them?” He asked out loud, his eyes piercing _____’s harshly. She was at a loss for words. What did he mean? Before she could reply, he continued.

          “I mean, we’re completely comfortable with each other in the quiet. Why is it when I try to act like a normal boyfriend, you shut yourself into a ball and it becomes awkward?” He asked, storming off into the woods gripping his hair in his fists. ______ instantly followed behind him, running to catch up to her frustrated boyfriend. He could hear her footsteps behind him and her soft voice calling out his name. No matter how angry he was, he knew he couldn’t run from her; she was too important. Turning to go back the way he came, a body crashed into his.

          “______? Are you alright?” He asked. His arms wrapped protectively around her shoulders. She looked up at him, the tears that had brimmed her eyes finally spilling over. She didn’t know what else to do, so she hid her face in his chest.

          “I’m sorry,” she sobbed softly, her voice muffled by his shirt. Taekwoon’s arms loosened as he used his hand to force ______ to look at him. The entire world around them seemed to stop as he leaned down to capture her lips in a soft and delicate kiss. _____ felt her lips tingle and every worry disappear from her mind. As he pulled away, he realized why they were never comfortable with skinship. Neither had actually voiced how much they cared, but with that one kiss he knew. She was it for him, she was his only one and the silence said it all along.