Like A Fish

When It Rains

 

As the girl with deep purple hair slumped her head back onto the desk, I saw Miss Nam’s face loosening up, as if she was also relieved. She started to turn around and walk towards a small desk on the side and pulled out a small white container from a drawer.

 

“Sorry, I think we have to stick around for awhile before we get to talk to her.” Jihoon recited to us while he poured water onto the glass he had placed on the desk. He gently walked back to the table on the other side where the pitcher of water resided.

 

“Is there something… Wrong?” Yukwon asked, hesitation evident in the question. After all, the woman was just sleeping, we could wake her up, right? We don’t have all day to waste. We’re still technically under Brand New Stardom and if we don’t make it to schedules, they might use it against us during the trial period.

 

I was about to say this when Jihoon pulled the girl up from the desk, exposing her face to us for the very first time. Her face seemed to be devoid of make-up, but her light skin had natural blush on her cheeks. There were dark circles under her eyes, deeply emphasized by her white skin. Her eyes were closed while hung open in an unladylike manner. I heard some of the boys snicker while I found myself smiling, marveling at the pink lips of the purple-haired girl. Jihoon shot a look at us while Miss Nam seemed to panic. Quickly, she slid a tablet or a capsule in the girl’s mouth before Jihoon tried to make her drink some water.

 

Why were they doing this? And is Jihoon not scared that he might drown the girl by making her drink while she’s sleeping? Some of the water spilled on the girl’s mouth and Miss Nam quickly produced a handkerchief from her pocket to stop the water from getting on the girl’s clothes. That's when I noticed that her black shirt, or blouse - I'm not really sure what you call girl clothes - had white detailings of lace on her chest and her neckline. It was like one of those things you see in old movies. Jihoon then put the glass back down on the desk and pinched her cheeks, forcing the girl’s mouth to open again.

 

“What the hell are you doing???” I heard Jaehyo spat out. His face looked worried and irritated, even his cheeks seemed a bit flustered.

 

Miss Nam then bowed at us. Her face was deeply flushed when she said, “I’m real sorry. Miss Shin has a condition so please bare with us for a moment…” Her voice came out very apologetic.

 

“She swallowed it.” Jihoon declared to Miss Nam and she sighed in relief. Jihoon then lifted her up, bridal style, and very carefully walked over to the loveseat Zico and I were sitting on. “Excuse, hyungs. Noona has to lie down.”

 

I stared for a moment while I wonder what the condition she was talking about was before I felt Zico pulling me up and off the couch. I pulled the little pillow with me and placed it on the arm for Haein’s head while Jihoon placed her gently. He sighed and looked at Miss Nam. “Does this always happen? Mr. Shin won’t like this, Miss Nam.” His voice was grave and Miss Nam slightly tilted her head towards her chest.

 

“I’m sorry. I guess Miss Shin just forgot. She’d been very busy lately as we’re all preparing for a new release. But please be assured, sir, that this is not a regular occurrence.”

 

Jihoon only nodded as he took in a deep breath. “Is there anywhere else we can sit then? It won’t be nice if you leave seven guys in a room with a sleeping girl.”

 

It was funny and I heard Zico chuckle, but I was so scared of our maknae’s tone that I couldn’t even get myself to smile. Miss Nam bowed once more and courteously said we could all wait inside the staff room on the first floor if it’s okay with us. We obliged and left the room one by one, leaving the purple-haired girl sleeping all alone again.

 

---

 

The staff room was quite larger that I had imagined. It was all white and smelled heavily like coffee. We sat down as Miss Nam offered us some beverages. When she left, I immediately asked, “What’s her condition?” The smile on Jihoon’s face faded and the others turned towards him. Everyone’s bound to be curious after what we have seen.

 

Maknae sighed and shrugged, “Narcolepsy.”

 

“What the hell is that?” Asked Zico.

 

“It’s a sleeping disorder. She can’t control when she would sleep unless she takes in some medications. But she’s such a workaholic, she forgets to take care of herself all the time.” The stress on his last three words seemed to have weighed so much. I wonder if there was an accident…

 

“But didn’t you already give her medicine? How come she’s still sleeping?” This time, the question was raised by Minhyuk who had been quiet.

 

“It takes her an hour or so to wake up. So I guess we’ll have to kill time for… About thirty more minutes.” Replied Jihoon after he checked the black clock on the wall opposite him.

 

Kyung sighed and slumped on the chair. “Great… Will we still make it for training?” Jihoon only nodded softly while Zico devised a plan for the rest of the day.

 

I looked at Zico then back at Jihoon. They both seemed so mature. So much mature than I am and yet I am two years older. They seem to know exactly what to do in all kinds of situations… And yet, just like a fish, I just follow the current.