And Red Skies

Of Blooming Moons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Kai..."

The tanned boy felt like he was sinking into his own nightmares. His eyes were as wide as two brown buttons, and they were glued onto the pale woman sitting across from him. He almost choked on his breakfast, which consisted of rice and eggs. As he stared deeply into the fragile lady, his heart could not stop itself from beating too fast. It wouldn't be reasonable that he didn't wish for his heart to explode. At the very moment, he did want his heart to explode. 

Suddenly, without a sound, the woman stood up and approached Kai with silent steps. Kai froze, and only gazed wondrously into the eyes of the woman's smooth, chocolate brown eyes. Then, the woman laughed and reached for near his lips, wiping the grain of rice stuck on the corner of his lips. She smiled and chewed on the small white grain. Kai flushed his cheeks, now too embarrassed to do anything.

"W-Why are you here?" he stuttered. He cursed at himself for breaking down his confidence. She was merely a girl, wasn't she? What did he need to be afraid of her?

The petite woman frowned and tilted her head. "Kai, what's wrong? We have school!"

Right after he blinked his eyes, he realized that it was 8:30 in the morning. When he glanced back to see the woman, she was dressed in the same brown uniform as him, only that her uniform consisted of a blazer and a skirt while his consisted of a blazer and pants.

"J-Jieun, wait! Stop!" Kai exclaimed, noticing how she was creeping closer to him. "S-Stop!"

The woman stopped her tracks. Then, with teary eyes, she backed away. "You don't love me? Is that why we broke up?"

Kai found himself sinking back to his own reality in the past.

"Let's break up." 

There the two college students were, staring at the kids happily playing in the park. Kai had his head hung low, wetting his chapped lips nervously. He was deadly afraid of what Jieun would say. His promise of being with her and supporting her were now ashes of lies. If he took his words back now, Jieun would surely get mad at him for attempting to break up. However, even if he didn't take his words back, she would still be furious with her fake relationship.

Jieun's long, gracious hair fell to cover her face. "Why? Am I not good enough?"

Kai stood up in front of her and bent in his knees. "No! No, you are the best girlfriend I ever had! I swear!"

"Then why?"

"... I don't think we're a match."

"Remember Kai? This is where we broke up," Jieun said, pointing at the deserted park. Kai looked up to his side, and meekly nodded. He knew that the park was going to be torn down for new homes. That meant new people, which also equaled to new relationships.

His eyes dimmed for a moment, but he snapped out of his thoughts when Jieun wrapped her arms around his. No matter how much Kai tried to slap his arm away from hers, she wouldn't let go. A cold chill shivered through his spine.

"What's wrong, Kai?" Jieun asked, tilted her head slightly like a puppy. Her eyes suddenly lit up with delight as she stared at her school. "Ah! It's school! Remember what happened here, Kai?"

Kai stood still and stared at the campus. Before the memories could spread in his mind like wildfire, he shook his head and diverted his eyes away from the buildings. He dragged Jieun across the street, earning stares from others.

"Jieun, let's go have a drink!" Kai shouted. "A long, good drink!"

"Dang, he hooked up with another girl so fast." Jieun's best friend, Jiyeon, snorted and glanced at Kai, who was with another flawless woman.

"Jieun, how did you get hooked up with a player like him? Look, he's already hitting on Naeun." Luna, another friend of Jieun's, gawked at Kai's gentle smile and manners. The two watched Kai's unusual actions, but were forced to look away when Kai looked up to their direction. Jieun, who was facing Kai (even if he was two tables away), gave him an emotionless look.

The small glass of alcohol slammed itself against the table. The loud sound caused her two friends to flinch, and only stare at her with wide, shocked eyes. The drunk woman laughed lightly, and waved her hand. Her eyes bore themselves behind Naeun's back like daggers, and only a small chuckle escaped her purple lips.

"This is nothing," the wicked woman whispered. "This… is just a little test."

As he said, Kai and Jieun had a drink. He ordered two bottles of alcohol, and knew how heavy a drinker Jieun could be. It was lunch time, and the small restaurant hardly had any visitors. Their busy hours would start around five, which was when school was over and the students would rush in to eat with their friends.

After his fifth shot, Kai noticed how Jieun didn't touch her drink. Instead, she rested her chin against the palm of her hands, curling her smooth, long fingers to tap against her plump lips. His heart began to race, and Kai quickly poured another cup and drank it with his heart. He knew that if he drank too much, he would start getting emotional and possibly start to hallucinate his terrible past. 

"Kai, you're so cute when you drink like that," Jieun said, laughing. "Look! Your face is red!"

Kai blushed and pressed his hands against his warm cheeks. He shook his head and pressed a handful of money on the table. When the owner chased him to return the change, Kai shook his head and only pressed the money, telling her to use it for whatever purpose she wanted. The owner seemed quite happy, and so she ran back to her shop to count the cash she now owned.

The man let our a bitter chuckle. That's right... We only need money in our lives.

Kai looked at Jieun with a dumbfounded expression. "More. More? You have more?"

"I'm so sorry, Kai! If you want, you can push all the debt towards me. I'm so sorry! I know that my uncle shouldn't have gambled and gave the debt to me--"

"Jieun, we don't even know each other anymore. We broke up, remember?"

"B-But Kai! Just this once, please? I just need to share half of my debt with someone? It's too much for a lady to handle!"

Kai scoffed. "What are you going to do with your life, huh? Forget it! Chase after your uncle! Push him all the debt! Or make him commit suicide!"

Jieun froze and gave Kai a horrified look. "S-Suicide...?"

Kai paused, then slapped his forehead. He had said some unexpected and harsh words ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter