Prologue

Friendzoned

“I don’t wanna see the new neighbors, appa!” The little girl with pigtails whined. Her father gave her a stern look.

 

“Jung Hyerim, don’t be such a brat. They are very nice people and we aren’t rude people who refuse the invitation to dinner.” Her mother interjected. She handed her daughter her favorite doll, hoping she’d stop stomping her feet.

 

Hyerim snatched the doll, running her chubby little fingers over the fake hair. Hyerim stalked away, running up the stairs to her room. “Okay, I’ll go. But as long as I can bring Haneul with me!”

 

Her parents breathed a sigh of relief and laughed at their daughter’s usual antics. She wouldn’t go anywhere without her doll, Haneul.

 

They walked over to the beige two-story house adjacent to theirs, carrying housewarming gifts. Hyerim her thumb nervously. After ringing the doorbell two times, the door opened to reveal a youthful couple who beamed when they saw the Jung family on their doorstep. The woman crouched down to look at Hyerim.

 

“Is this your daughter? Oh my, she’s adorable! She’ll get along well with our son.” She said, patting Hyerim’s head. Hyerim glared at the woman. They went inside the house, gasping when they saw the elaborate dinner laid out on the table for them.

 

“You really didn’t have to…” Hyerim’s father was flattered. The man waved his hand, asking them to sit down for a nice home-cooked meal.

 

“Howon! Come down here!” The woman called out. Within minutes, a young boy appeared in the dining room. He was slightly taller than Hyerim, still dressed in pajamas. He stifled a yawn. His mother chastised him on not dressing, then sent him back to his room with food. “Take Hyerim up to your room, you two can hang out and eat up there.”

 

Howon sighed. “Fine, umma. Follow me.” He told Hyerim. He walked at a fast pace, with Hyerim trailing behind him with Haneul. Howon closed the door after Hyerim settled on his bed. She clutched the doll to her chest, eyeing Howon suspiciously.

 

“I’m Lee Howon. You’re Jung Hyerim, right? My parents told me you live next door.” Howon said with a sleepy expression on his face. Hyerim nodded.

 

“You can call me Eunji though.” Hyerim said meekly.

 

“Eunji? Isn’t that a boy’s name?” Howon asked.

 

“I guess. It means ‘successful in life.’ You see, I want to be a famous singer when I’m older. Jung Eunji, the most successful and famous girl in the world.” She explained, dreamily.

 

Howon stared at her. “You’re weird, Eunji.” She cracked a smile when he called her ‘Eunji.’

“Can I give you a nickname too?” Hyerim said excitedly. Howon scoffed.

 

“I don’t need a nickname. But sure, if you want.” Howon sat next to her, wondering what she would call him.

 

“Howon-ah…” She twisted his name in many ways, then settled on an abbreviation. “Ho-ah!” She exclaimed. Howon raised an eyebrow. This was definitely a weird girl.

 

“Ho-ah? You mean Hoya? That sounds better.” Howon wouldn’t admit it, but his nickname wasn’t too bad. It sounded nice.

 

“Yes, Hoya! Hoya and Eunji! Those are our nicknames now, because we will be best friends!” Eunji linked her arm in his. Hoya yanked his arm free.

 

“Best friends? How old are you? Two?” Hoya said condescendingly.

 

Eunji frowned. “No, I’m four. What about you?”

 

“I’m six.” He wore a smug smile. Eunji leaned on his shoulder. He decided to let this one go.

 

“So you’re my oppa then? Hoya oppa, can we be best friends? Please?” Eunji jumped on his bed.

 

“Sure, whatever! Just stop jumping, you’re so loud.” Annoyed, Hoya covered his ears. Eunji sure had a lot of energy, but she wasn’t as bad as he thought she would be.

 

Eunji pouted when he told her to stop. She sat idle next to him, holding Haneul again. “What do you want to be when you grow up, Hoya oppa?” Hoya took in her words and they sat in silence for a minute.

 

“An actor. I want to be one of those people you see on TV, living another life through their work.” Hoya replied after careful thought.

 

“So we’ll be famous together? I’m so excited to grow up then!” Eunji grinned, showing her baby teeth.

 

He stared at her again, wondering if all girls had a personality as bubby as hers. “Do you even have any other friends?” Hoya questioned her. Eunji looked offended.

 

“Of course! My other best friend is Haneul. Wait, I almost forgot to introduce you two! Lee Howon, this is Jung Haneul.” She her doll at Hoya’s face.

 

“Your other best friend is a doll? Wow.” Hoya said. This was pathetic.

 

“I don’t go to school yet and all the other kids umma makes me play with are meanies. I can only count on Haneul.” She smiled. “Say hi to Haneul, Hoya oppa.” Eunji commanded Hoya with a serious tone. She looked scary like that, he’d rather have her smile and be annoying than serious. He gulped.

 

“Hello, Haneul. It’s nice to meet you.” Hoya greeted Haneul.

 

Eunji laughed. Hoya noticed that her laugh was different from anything else he ever heard. “I think Haneul likes you.”

 

“Eunj, you do know she’s a doll right? Hoya examined the stitches on the doll. It looked expensive.

 

“Of course I do. I’m not stupid. It’s time for a living best friend. I just decided that you would be my new best friend.” Eunji said matter-of-factly.

 

“I’m so honored.” His voice dripped with sarcasm. Hoya couldn’t help but act older than his age. He was a smart kid.

 

“I like you, Hoya oppa. You actually listened to me when I told you about Haneul. The other girls I hang out don’t bring their dolls around everywhere like I do. They laugh at me.” Eunji frowned; it was obvious that her lack of friends bothered her.

 

Hoya felt bad, since Eunji was such a sincere and sweet girl. “It’s okay, I’ll be your friend.” He didn’t know why, but he couldn’t stand seeing her not smile. She only looked right when she had a huge grin on her face.

 

Eunji immediately brightened up. “Best friend, you mean.” Hoya smiled when he saw her reaction.

 

“Best friends.”


It happened during his senior year at Busan High. Eunji was a popular sophomore that most people in her class liked—she could strike up a conversation with anyone without it being awkward. Hoya wasn’t as social, as he liked to keep to his own small circle of friends and Eunji. Eunji and Hoya were still next-door neighbors and they still hung out often.

 

He knew exactly when it happened. It was her 16th birthday, yet Eunji, being the modest girl she was, didn’t want a party. She only wanted to spend time with one person.

 

Hoya asked her parents for permission to use a ladder to climb up their terrace and surprise her with a tub of strawberries and whipped cream on her balcony. That night, Hoya stood in the Jungs’ backyard, waiting for the right moment to call the little sister he never had when she was alone.

 

Eunji’s blinds were open. Perfect. He could see when he could surprise her now. He caught sight of her walking up to the window, looking out as if to see if anyone was watching her. When she saw that the coast was clear, she shrugged and stripped down to her bra and .

 

Hoya did not anticipate this. His eyes widened when he saw her bare skin through the window. He knew it was wrong to keep watching, but he couldn’t take his eyes away from the sight. His throat became dry. It was then and there that he realized Eunji was a woman now. She was no longer the little girl with pigtails that carried a doll around. She blossomed into a beautiful young lady.

 

He didn’t think this day would come, where he viewed her differently. He was a teenager too, so his hormones were raging at the moment. He now understood why she was desired by many boys at Busan High. She was, well, hot as hell.

 

Before he knew it, she had already changed into a short, form-fitting nightgown. He snapped out of his trance. When she headed back to another part of her bedroom and out of his sight, he shakily speed-dialed her phone.

 

“Hello?” She answered in her husky voice. Hoya cleared his throat.

 

“Good evening ma’am, your delivery is here.” He proceded to climb up to her balcony while she talked on the phone.

 

“What delivery? Is this a prank call?” Eunji said with suspicion. Hoya was now standing on her balcony, but  she didn’t notice his presence.

 

“I believe a man under the name Lee Howon wanted to deliver your favorite dessert for your sweet sixteen.” Hoya informed her. He could hear her laughter through the window.

 

“Oh my god, Hoya? Where are you?” Eunji asked once she stopped laughing.

 

“Guess where I am.” He .

 

Eunji looked around her room, then stopped when he knocked on her glass door. She couldn’t believe it. She dropped her phone on the floor in surprise when he gestured for her to let him in. She ran to the door, almost knocking him over when she enveloped him in a tight hug. He chuckled. Typical Eunji. He ruffled her hair. “Happy birthday Jung Hyerim.”

 

Eunji’s room was messy as usual, with pink everywhere. It was the girliest bedroom he had ever been in. Hoya loved it nonetheless.

 

“You’re the absolute bestest friend I could ever ask for. This has been the best birthday ever, oppa.” Eunji gave him her trademark eye-smile. Hoya opened the tub of strawberries and the can of whipped cream. He grabbed one of them and fed it to her. She closed her eyes, tasting the sweet flesh of the strawberry.

 

Eunji leaned over, grabbing another one for herself. Hoya’s eyes trailed down to her exposed cleavage. He gulped, and forced himself to look away. The room suddenly felt hotter.

 

“Eunji, I have to tell you something. You’ll be happy and angry about it.” He brought up the topic that he was here to divulge to her. Eunji shifted on the floor uncomfortably.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re getting a change.” She joked around.

 

Hoya looked her in the eye. “I’m dropping out.”

 

Eunji was frozen. “What? No, you can’t just drop  out! Why?!” She nearly yelled.

 

Hoya was expecting this though. “I’m dropping out because I’ve been asked to join a boy group. I’m going to be a celebrity, Eunji.”

 

She jumped up to her feet. “You’re going to be an idol? That’s so awesome!” She was screaming now. “Okay, you can drop out right now! Oh my god, my best friend is going to be famous!”

 

Hoya chuckled. Typical Eunji, always so hyper about everything. She scrambled around her room, looking for a pen and pad of paper. Once she found it, she walked up to him shyly, pretending to be a fangirl. “Oppa, can I get your autograph? I just love you so much!”

 

Hoya snobbily said, “No, I don’t sign autographs for ugly girls. Go away, I have an awards ceremony to attend.” He pushed her aside.

 

“Hey! Don’t become an entirely different person when you’re famous! You can’t forget about me.” Eunji smiled sadly, not wanting to let him go.

 

“I’ll be back though. You won’t even know I’m gone. You have so many friends here, you won’t miss me.” Hoya reassured her.

 

“This was a big surprise, I had no idea you were even talking to entertainment companies. You still want to be an actor, huh?”

 

“Yeah, this is my ticket to acting. Under the boy group that they’re thinking of calling ‘Infinite.’” Hoya said.

 

“I’m going to miss you a lot. You know I love you right?” Eunji leaned in closer to Hoya. He was flustered now.

 

“I love you too. I’m leaving tomorrow.” He looked away from her.

 

Eunji looked broken. “Tomorrow? Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

 

“I didn’t want you to be worried and sad on your birthday. I wanted to tell you as late as possible. You know I at goodbyes anyways.” Hoya hated seeing her this way.

“Remember the first day we met? How I told you about Haneul?” She rested her head on his shoulder like how she used to when they were kids.

 

“Mhm. What about it?” Hoya inhaled deeply. The room smelled like strawberries.

 

“You’re my best friend. You’re like the brother I never had. Nothing will change that, I hope you remember that.” Eunji said without an ounce of playfulness in her voice. She was rarely serious.

 

“If there’s one thing I can promise you, it’s that I will always be here for you. I promise.” Hoya replied in the same tone she used.

 

She smiled and gave him one last hug. “Go, it’s getting late. I won’t be able to see you off tomorrow since I have to get to school at 6 for leadership. Don’t worry though, I might be joining you soon.” She winked at him as he picked up his belongings.

 

He stood there, mouth agape. “Are you talking about what I think you’re talking about?” Eunji followed through with her childhood dream of becoming a singer. She traveled to Seoul frequently, as her parents wanted her to professionally sing also.

 

Both of their dreams were slowly becoming true. Eunji was in talks of joining a group very soon, as early as the next year. She had her sights set on Cube Entertainment, where she was good friends with the fellow trainees there.

 

“Who knows? Maybe we’ll both be in the entertainment business. Now hurry up and leave, otherwise I’ll have to keep you here forever.” Eunji gave him a sly smile.

 

Hoya gave her one last look before slipping down the ladder and into the darkness. That night was the last night he ever saw her as just his little sister.

 

He was falling for his best friend.