Jinki's Sanctuary

A Rain of Stars

 

If there was one thing I hated about our relationship, it would be her silly ‘silent treatment’ game she’d play whenever we had an argument. I got annoyed when she did it yet again, so furious that I even played along for the past few days. But then came lunch time. The moment I saw her at the other side of the area and locked eyes with her, I became more desperate to talk to her.

 

It was a quarter past twelve midnight when I stopped the car at Jena’s house. Fortunately, the lights in her bedroom were on. She must still be awake.

 

I climbed up the tree outside her window and threw a few pebbles. She turned her head to see me. From the looks of it, she was surprised. It took a while before she stood up from her bed and opened the window.

 

“Jinki, what are you doing here?” she glared. “If my parents see us--”

 

“I need you to come with me,” I interrupted.

 

“What? Where are we going?” she asked as I helped her out of the window and onto the tree.

 

“You’ll see.”

 

“It’s the middle of the night! We have school tomorrow!”

 

“Why do you always talk about school whenever I ask you out?” I whined as we both climbed down. “For once, just please forget school even existed.”

 

“This better be worth my time,” she muttered.

 

Oh, trust me, it will.

 

 

 

After a short drive, we arrived at the foot of a hill. “We’re here,” I told her.

 

We both went out of the car. As she looked around the place, I grabbed a blanket which was at the back seat.

 

“Where is here? Jinki, we’re practically in the middle of nowhere! If I didn’t know you, I’d say you’re kidnapping me!”

 

I rolled my eyes. “Jena, do you really think that a squishy-tofu-slash-chicken-lover-slash-clumsy-bunny like me would pass as a criminal?”

 

“Well, no but--”

 

“Then stop worrying. Follow me.” I gave her a smile and I led her up the grassy hill. It took us a few minutes before we reached the top, where a vast view of Seoul’s city lights welcome us from afar and the stars shone vividly above us.

 

“Welcome to my sanctuary,” I told her.

 

“Your sanctuary?”

 

“Yeah,” I nodded, “this is where I’d always go whenever I needed to ease my mind. Sort of like a thinking chamber, except it’s so… wide.”

 

I laid down blanket and we sat down.

 

“So why did you bring me here?”

 

I smiled. “Because you’re about to witness something you could only catch at least once in a lifetime.”

 

She scoffed, but she began to wait.

 

 

 

We laid there, waiting quietly for about an hour, but nothing was happening.

 

“Just keep waiting,” I told her, but I could tell she was getting frantic.

 

“You’re wasting my time. I’m going home.” She stood up and began to leave. I quickly followed her.

 

“But Jena! If you could wait around just a few more minutes, I promise you--”

 

“Promise me what, Jinki?” she bawled as she turned to face me. “You know, the first thing we promised to each other was to not keep any secrets. Yet, you didn’t bother to tell me about what the whole world probably already knew.”

 

She turned to walk again but I held on to her arm. “Jebal… kajima.”

 

She yanked away.

 

“Just listen what I have to say!” I wailed. I kept walking after her when unexpectedly, she stopped. “Jena--” I began again but her sweet, soft voice stopped me.

 

“Omo,” she uttered as she looked up. I followed her gaze.

 

A ball of light quickly passed us. Then another one crossed, then another. Soon, the dark mist was filled with shooting stars. I took a short glance at her and she just kept watching with awe.

 

“Breathtaking, isn’t it?” I asked her as we watched.

 

“I’ve never seen anything this magical in my life. Have you?”

 

I shook my head. “No, and that is why I brought you here, so we could see this together. I’ve been planning this night for months since I read about the meteor shower.”

 

I turned to see her facing down and sullen.

 

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

 

“We fought, remember? We haven’t spoken in about a week. I thought we were mad at each other.”

 

“I wasn’t mad.”

 

“But I was.”

 

I spoke again after a moment. “Are you still mad?”

 

She didn’t answer.

 

“Jena, can you please just hear me out for a minute?”

 

She took a deep breath. “Your one minute starts now.”

 

I rested my hands on her shoulders. “Jena, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about the audition, the afterschool trainings, and my upcoming debut. I didn’t know how to tell you.”

 

“That doesn’t explain why you chose not to tell me.”

 

“Aren’t you happy that I’m finally achieving my dream?”

 

She gently pushed my arms away and her eyes met mine. “I am happy, Jinki; I’m really proud of you. I guess I was just scared when I found out.” She turned back to the blanket and sat down.

 

“Scared?” I sat next to her.

 

“Jinki, you’re already one step closer to your dream. Sooner or later, you’re going to leave everyone, start a new life and I’ll still be here trying to find out who and what I want to be. We’ll travel our own ways, drift apart, and you… you’ll forget about me, live the glorious life and probably find someone else whose star can equally shine with yours. What’s going to happen to me?”

 

I looked up to see the stars passing by.

 

“Stars may shine, Jena, but they burn as well. Some even end up falling down to earth. But if we are really worth it, we’ll both live and learn.” I looked are her, holding her hand. “Jena, no matter how many stars may shine there is only one that could shine as bright as mine. Even with fame, success and all the scandals that would reach the tabloids, my heart goes to you. I won’t give up on you, and I won’t give up on us.”

 

She chuckled as she pulled her hand away. “That sounds too much like a song.”

 

“But it’s true.”

 

She smiled as she looked up at the stars again. Her eyes were gleaming and the soft wind caressed her hair. My heart started beating rapidly.

 

“Jena,” I suddenly spoke.

 

“Hmm?”

 

Before my mind could even process what was happening, my lips collided with hers. It was the first kiss we shared; the first for both of us. It lasted only about a few seconds, but it was soft, warm and gentle. It was a kiss under a rain of stars.

 

“Saranghae,” I finally told her.

 

She smiled.

 

“I love you too, Lee Jinki.”

 

She rested her head on my shoulders and we both continued watching the stars until the break of dawn.

 

 

 

I won’t give up on us even if the skies get rough.

I’m giving you all my love. I’m still looking up.

 

Inspired from the song ‘I Won’t Give Up’ by Jason Mraz.