Chapter 01

A Paradise Desired

 

At night, I still reach for my phone – reach for the small black box that will allow me to talk to you.

 

But then once I pick it up, and there’s no sound, no vibration, I put it back down.

 

Even if I kept it in my hand, even if I hit the buttons around your name, you wouldn’t answer, would you? You would ignore me.

 

You wouldn't run for your phone like you used to, you wouldn't answer as fast as you could. 

 

You wouldn't come if I called.

 

You don’t want to be here.

 

Hoya, please come back.

 

 Please stay here, I’m asking you a favor, I’ll treat you better, I can’t let you go yet

 


"Is everything okay?!"

 

She loved how that was the first thing he said when he answered her call for him. Nodding, even though he couldn't see her, she sat down on her couch. "I'm okay. I just wanted to make sure you were."

 

Hoya chuckled, his voice low and husky through the phone, making her unconsciously smile. "I'm much better now, now that I'm talking to you. I missed you."

 

It was almost like his pout was audible through the machinery, and she giggled. "We just talked two hours ago."

 

He sighed. "Two hours of torture where I couldn't be with you. I'm so glad you called. I was about to call you if you hadn't called me first."

 

"Is that why you picked up so fast?"

 

"No. I ran for the phone as soon as I heard it ringing..." He chuckled, as if slightly embarrassed he was revealing his actions. "It was in my room and I was going to go get it. But then you called and I ran for it. I didn't want to miss your call."

 

She blushed. "You're too sweet, Hoya."

 

"I only want to be here for you."