Final

Taking Shelter From the Rain
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

I remember the day when we first met. We were both trapped in an old train station by the heavy rain and harsh wind brought on by the typhoon. You couldn’t have been over the age of ten. You looked so brave as you barricaded the door to keep the wind from blowing it open. I was barely over the age of nine and I was so afraid but you promised to protect me. We huddled together on one of the benches by the window and watched as the rain pelted down against the glass. We stayed there all night until the rain stopped.

I clung to you and cried until both of our parents found us. They were terrified that we had been swept away by the wind and rain. They had called the police in a panic, demanding that they find us. It wasn’t until your father, being the rational man that he was, suggested that they search in the places around where we had last been seen.

I cried more when our parents found us. I was happy with you and didn’t want to leave your side. My parents thought I was crying because I was scared. I wanted to stay there with you forever. It was our own private shelter from the rain.

It was three years later when I finally learned your name and met you again. I was walking home with a few of my friends and just happened to look into the arcade as we walked by. I saw your familiar smile and I asked my friends if we could stop there. They didn’t seem to mind so I spent the half hour we were there stealing glances at you until I heard one of your friends speak your name.

For some reason after that day I saw you everywhere. I hadn’t even noticed how close to each other we had always been. The middle schools we attended were only a few blocks away from each other and our friends seemed to know one another. They often hung out together, giving me more time to spend with you.

I was sad to have to move away a year later. I pleaded with my parents but we had a family emergency that couldn’t be ignored. I was heartbroken. I had planned on confessing to you during the fireworks festival but we’d be on a plane to my grandfather’s house by then. As my farewell I gave my confession gift to your close friend and asked him to give it to you for me.

I didn’t see you again until the beginning of my second year in high school. My parents had decided to move us back and I was ecstatic. I would get to see yo

Please log in to read the full chapter