1

Death In Wonderland

How long has it been since he's been stuck here? Several days? Several weeks? Or maybe its been years. No. That couldn't be possible. She wasn't rotting away in front of him. Her lips were still naturally pink. The blood that stained his hands was still hot, bright red and wet. It smelled amazing. In L's mind it was a sweet as ripened cherries. He loved cherries the best.

'Do you want more? There's more. Right in front of you. There's more of that scent...' The voice. It was back again. But instead of moving forward to slice Han Go Eun's dead body again L stay sitting there leaning his back onto the resort's closet. He took in several deep breaths and then screamed.

'Get out! Get out of my damn head you monster! This is all your fault! She died because of you!' L shrieked into the nothingness of the dark night. Then the voice spoke again.

'I didn't kill her L. You did. You craved the scent of blood. You were the one that slit her neck open. Do no blame me. I'm merely here to help with your Unearthly desires. You disgusting human being.' The voice hissed its reply making L scream even louder.

'GET OUT! GET OUT OF MY HEAD GET OUT NOW!' His painful cries resonated loudly but they were soon choked up by the tears that flowed out of his eyes in rivers.

'Get out... please....' This time L spoke in an almost inaudible whisper. And then all sense disappeared from him. All that was left was a souless human body that breathed in the pool of blood. From close by there were sounds of sirens and tires screeching on the pavement. Feet shuffled into the small resort gates turning on the lights of the place to illuminate the night airl.

'Group A go East, B go West! The rest of you follow me!' Sunggyu held his pistol tightly in his hands ready for any form of attack. He ran due west of the familiar grassy resort with several footsteps following closley behind him. When they reached the hot springs everyone split up. Sunggyu was alone but he had nothing to fear. The killer they were trying to catch would hurt anyone. Anyone but Sunggyu. He knew that over a century of friendship with L would make a difference no matter how crazy that person was. Sunggyu tiptoed to the Japanese styled sliding room doors. Empty. Empty. Still empty. Then he looked to the door that covered the last room in the hall. He slowly walked there seemingly knowing what he would see but Sunggyu hoped differently. With all his heart he prayed that what he saw would be different from what he usually expierenced. But no matter how much of that hope he held in him the undesirable outcome still prevailed. Sunggyu saw the pool of smelly blood on the floor with his best friend in life laying in it. He walke over to the girl and felt for a pulse but there was none. He tsked. 

*Of course. Dead. Like all the others L has killed.* Then he headed over to his friend who laid curled up in a ball. 

'I've found the criminals. Let's head out.' Sunggyu said into his radio.

*Let's get out of here L.*

*****************************

L laid on a hard bed that made the muscles in his back cringe. When he opened his eyes and saw his surroundings he gave a bored look. The room didn't shock him.

*Maybe this time the police won't let me off. Maybe this time I'll be put on the death row, and this time I'll die for my wrong doings....* He thought. Then someone opened the gates to his large cell. 

'How are you feeling?' Sunggyu asked holding a plate of food, closing the bars behind him. He walked over to the bed and looked straight into L's eyes.

'Did you even know who she was?' Sunggyu asked again. A different question this time. He had to interrogate L eventually, why not do it now?

'Would you believe me if I said that she was different?' L asked. 

'How many lives have you taken this past month L?'

'38.' Sunggyu took in a deep breath. His cheeks sunken in made him look tired and worn out. He looked in even worser shape than his murderer friend. He repeated the words in his head again. 

*Murder friend... murderer....*

'Explain to me.... why was the 38th person you killed different from all the other bastards you've laid your hands on.' Sunggyu crossed his legs onto the bed ready to listen to all L had to say. 

'She was like heavan. I was Alice and she was my wonderland. Do you know how long I've been looking to her hyung? Since I've lived in that asylum she was the one that gave me stregnth. Even after escaped my wreched home just seeing her gave me stregnth.'

'She was a e L. She didn't care for you. Han Go Eun only looked to you for your money.' Said Sunggyu. 

'Do you know why she needed that money hyung? No. Of course you don't. Because you've liven your life like a normal rich kid. Her of a husband cheated and took everything from her. She had to survive somehow. Supporting her child. She had nothing left. She was like me. Desperate for a way out.'

'Is that why she's different? Because you loved her? Because you gave your weak love to her out of pity?!'

'Of course not.... I loved her because.....'

'You didn't love her L you killed her! WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU KILL SOMEONE AGAIN!' Sunggyu screamed into L's face while hurtful tears rolled down the police's face.

'I didn't do it. The voice was the one that killed her.' L replied simply.

'That voice doesn't exist. Give it up.'

'Yes it does. Do I need to remind you where it comes from hyung? Should I put it into simple words for you?! 12 years ago a man with that exact same voice killed my parents and made me drink their blood! That man made me what I am today and his same voice still follows me around in my head telling me to kill people! I didn't kill Go Eun he did! He made me do it!' L swung his arms around knocking all the food to the ground, the metal bowl landed and hit the jail cell bars with a clang.

'I don't want to talk about this anymore hyung. Ask me another question please.....' L took in a deep breath trying to control his anger.

'Why did.... the voice want to kill her?' Sunggyu asked the question with caution, taking care from aggravating L.

'The voice saw what Go Eun did to me. My love for her filled my head and then he started to disappear. He didn't want that so he killed her. Because he was scared. Scared that I've found a cure from him. From myself. She was my cure. Love was my cure.'

'Then why are you still like this if it was a god damn cure?!' Sunggyu pressed on.

'Because the voice over took that cure! He... he....... he turned my love into a curse. Everynight.... whispering into my mind that I wasn't good enough. Even if I loved her it wouldn't shut him out. THE VOICE OF HIS TURNED LOVE INTO A CURSE!' L replied his expression fell and he thought about it again.

'No.... my love for her wasn't a curse.... my love for myself.... I gave into my blood craving desires. Love is a cures because of myself...' L scrunched himself into a ball mumbling to himself.

'Love.... self love is a curse.... curse... it was a curse..... death is a cure.....'

'Do you want to die?' Sunggyu's expression went blank. There was no emotion in him any longer. No care for L, or anything else in the world. 

'Death.... is a cure...' was L's answer to his question as a single tear fell from the murderer's eyes. 

'Hyung.... why are you still my friend?' 

'I don't know L. I just am. I'll tell you your death date tonight.' Sunggyu gave a little smile and for the first time in over a century L smiled back.

'Thank you Sunggyu hyung.'

'For what you stupid one. For promising you death?'

'For freeing me from myself. Thank you for saving me.' L watched as Sunggyu walked out without a look back. Although the police man left a pad of paper and pen forgotten on the jail cell bed. L picked the two up and began to write.

                          Today I've realized something...... Life is scary. Love is scary. I found my cure. Love. I also found my curse. Love. Love is a cure and also a curse. Humanity, take your pick. Love, or love?

L put down the paper and pen and walked to the far end of the room. He ran. His head pointed straight into the concrete wall. And then.... bang. That day L committed suicide. He is now free and so am I. The loving voice in his head was me. The voice that wanted to drive him into death. I have saved him from this painful life. Death was his wonderland. I can rest in peace now also. Because I get to die with him. I'm a voice. I'm love. I'm life's desires. I'm his own, little wonderland.