Chapter 1

Masks

Baekhyun drew his wooden bamboo blinds, and habitually looked out of his window. He hoped to see a glimpse of Kai, his neighbour, waking up in the morning. There was just something about Kai's messed up unruly jet-black hair that Baekhyun found appealing. Then again, it could also be the fact that Kai slept shirtless that attracted him. A lean figure in the opposite window sat up in bed, stretched, rubbed his hair.

"The creature is awakening," said a sensual voice in Baekhyun's ear. "HOLY ," he yelled as he fell down. "What the man," he muttered as he pushed his brother, Chanyeol. Being close to his brother, Chanyeol knew that Baekhyun kinda-sorta was obsessed with their neighbour. Not that Baekhyun would ever admit that.  

"Hurry up get your dressed, I'm driving to school." Reluctantly, Baekhyun pulled away from the window ("Kai was just about to pull off his boxers okay!!!"), and opened his cupboard. All he saw was stripes, polka-dots, floral collared shirts. Cursing his mother's insistence on helping him buy all his clothes, Baekhyun hurriedly pulled out the least gaudy and most innocent looking shirt, and put it on. After he brushed his teeth and combed his fringe vertically, he grabbed his messenger bag and hopped into Chanyeol's car. 

Baekhyun was pretty much a loser in school, so he knew it was best not to attract attention to himself as he silently slipped into the school hallway, carefully avoiding the jocks. Manoeuvring through the sea of students till he saw his friends Suho and Kyungsoo, he heaved a sigh of relief. It was good to be in the comfort of his fellow 'geeks'; he felt a lot more like himself, surrounded by people of equal intellect. Baekhyun whipped out his video camera, and spoke to it: "It's Monday today. I'm with my friends which you guys all know already, SAY HI TO MY VIEWERS YOU IDIOTS" Suho and Kyungsoo grinned goofily and pushed up their spectacles simultaneously. Waving enthusiastically at the camera, Kyungsoo yelled, "WE'RE AT SCHOOL!!!!" Baekhyun shook his head (like, could his friends be any dorkier?), laughed and quickly kept his camera as he saw the jocks approaching.

"Oh my god, look at his shoes," Lee Joon snickered at Kyungsoo as he led his pack of jock friends, parading through the school like gods as usual. They were all the same - had perfectly gelled hair, bulging muscles, and good-looking. "They're LOAFERS, my mom and I got them at the mall on Sunday," Kyungsoo defended himself. "Cool story bro. Tell it to your little geek friends, not me," and with that, Lee Joon snapped Kyungsoo's plastic spectacles, and strutted off. Kai was also included in Lee Joon's jock buddies, also known as Lee Joon's right hand man. He laughed as well, and Baekhyun and him made eye contact. Baekhyun could've sworn there was a glazed look in Kai's eyes, and it suddenly occured to him Kai didn't know what he was doing, at all. Kai gave a small smile and walked off.

"He has the coolest swagger ever!!!!" squealed Baekhyun once Kai was out of earshot. "Please don't ever say that again, you sound like a girl." Suho always spoke in a monotone. "Hello?? Guys? Can we pay a little more attention to the current pressing problem?" Kyungsoo interrupted as he held out his broken spectacles.