Chapter 9

Walls of the Heart

Chapter 9


I bit down my lips as my hands play with the straps of my bag. I do not know where to look, all I know is I just can’t look at him. Especially with this pink face that I’m having now. It takes us a while before we break the silence.

“I think— “

“Do you want— “

My little pumping heart skip another beat and our smiles become awkward.

“You can go ahead first,” he says.

It takes me another minute to fully process what he says. “Well…” I started slowly. What was it I wanted to say? I did not know. I don’t think I am at the state to think clearly either. Should I offer him to come in to take a seat or should I just bid him goodbye? I ponder hard. And hard. And even harder…

“Actually…” he continues on my behalf. “I was thinking if you want to come have dinner with me?”

“Eh?” I blurt out without realizing the sparkles in my eyes. The smile I’m grinning out, the nod that I give on reflex and the shriek I almost choke out. He chuckled.

I clear my throat immediately and look away. “Stupid Jieun!” I mentally reprimanded. This is not how you behave in front of Jang Wooyoung! I fan myself down unwittingly and swallow my saliva hard. “Well… give me a minute.” I raise a finger prompting the 1 minute and hurried into my room.

I need to get myself changed – hey wait a minute! Just what am I doing? Am I going out on a date? I flush even harder. But he’s all in school uniform. Isn’t it weird if I’m the only one who’s wearing casual clothes? Nope! I can’t let Jang Wooyoung finds out that I am over hyped about this. Just school uniform is fine! Just a change of bag will do. Yes, yes, can’t let that boy have a reason to make fun of me! Phew, my brain is still working.

The moment I creak open the main door, Wooyoung turned around and face me. He holds up his watch, “that’s indeed a minute. I thought you’re gonna take much longer.”

“I just need to put down my heavy bag, how long can that take?” I walk over to him and retort in defense. “Do you think I was gonna doll myself up just to have dinner with you?” I fold my arms and look up with nostrils wide open.

“Well…” he speaks smugly, “only you know.”

For the umpteenth time, Jang Wooyoung wins.

 

 

“What’s good here?” It hasn’t been long since we arrived the central area of this town. I raise an eyebrow at his silly question.

“Wooyoung-ah, you haven’t been here?”

A shake of head is all he gave. “But this is the town of this city. Nearest to school.”

I know Wooyoung is a little different from most of us. A little introvert as well. It’s almost half a year since he has transferred over, could it be that he didn’t have any friends to come here after school? Well, speaking of which, it’s indeed true that no one seems to know the good-looking dude. Not to mention, seeing him speaking to anyone else in school.

A nonchalant face he held. “How about that one?” he points over at the almost empty western café.

“You like pastas? The one over there,” I point to the restaurant that’s starting to get more crowd. “The pasta over there is cheaper and food quantity is more generous.”

He follows my finger leading over to the slightly rowdy restaurant and for a second his crease fold. And with quick contemplation, he grabs my hand and pulls me over to the café he chose. “I don’t like crowd.” He smiles.

 

 

Our food comes shortly after we placed our order. I order an aglio olio while Wooyoung order a carbonara. To add on, we also have some nacho fries as sides.

I watch the hunk picking his noodles gracefully with bliss. “It’s good.”

“Jieun, I think it’d be better to stay away from him” What Jiyeon said to me this morning suddenly flash through my mind. My gaze fix onto the transferee. How could this person be dangerous? Is he part of some sort of Mafia Gang? He doesn't look like any of those sort though.

“Can I ask a question?” I speak up slowly as he looks up.

“Wh-” just when I want to pop up a question, a call interrupt. Has it to be now?

“Sorry,” and I pick up my phone frantically.

“Jieun-ah! Where are you?” the voice on the other end calls out desperately.

“Sanghyun!” I exclaim. Goodness me, I’ve forgotten completely about Sanghyun. I look up at Wooyoung again as I could feel the gaze upon me – confused and curious.

“I’m starving, where are you and where is my dinner?” I could already visualize him lying on his bed whimpering like a baby.

Does it have to be today that mum couldn’t be home to cook dinner. “Something happened in school so I can’t make it home to cook dinner. Sorry.” I reason, hoping he will just buy the excuse.

“I thought you came back home earlier than me? You went back to school again?”

My temple knitted and lucky for my smart brain I manage to squeeze out another reason, “yeah, Luna called me back to help her at school. It was urgent so it kinda slipped past my mind to text you. Sorry, you’ve got to eat out or call for delivery tonight.”

My eyes roam around aimlessly until I met with the stare Wooyoung gave me and I hanged the call with a ‘bye’ quickly. The glare he’s giving me is sending me the chills down to my spine bone.

“Is this Sanghyun the guy that pulled you out of the club the other time?” he asks with his folding arms on the table, putting away the utensils.

I deliberate shortly before putting my hand on my chin. “No wonder,” I grin, “this scene looks awfully familiar.”

“Were you jealous? Oh, no no – correction – you’re still jealous of Sanghyun?”

Just like what I thought! My words hit all the right spots at the right time. He releases his arms and grab one fry. “You’re friend… and I’m just concern over a friend.”

“Oh, is it?” I play along. “He’s also another friend, just a little different.”

“How different?” I got him straightaway.

“Well, I think it’s only fair if we could answer a question from each other. It’s always me that’s’ answering your questions. You’ve to answer my questions too! No avoidance.”

He fidgets slightly, “fair enough.”

“Which school were you from previously?”

I can see his eyes twitch, avoiding eye contact. “I was from Seoul.” I nod. “He’s just a childhood friend. His parents have to fly from time to time so my family is always helping out to take care of him.”

“My turn. Why did you transfer over to our school?” In contrast with what he’s hoping, I continue asking.

Silence takes its place for quite a while. “Are you uncomforta—“

“Something happened in my old school. I was helping an injured friend but complication took place. There was a commotion and I got involved. For a long time, I had depression because of the event. My parents made me transfer to avoid the chaos in Seoul. And so, I’m here.”

“I’m sorry and…thank you,” the words I blurt out unknowingly. I’m touched. Yes, indeed, his answer was brief and short yet again, that is the longest and the sincerest one he has given me. The amount of courage he must find to tell me his scarred past. I knew he has a story behind him all along. But never knew it was something to cause him so much pain.

His eyes are no longer on almost emptied plates, a smile broke out and his hand reaching out for me, so genuine and warm. Just like the walls of his heart fully crumbling down – the brightest sunray shining out and me reaching for them.

“You’re more than a friend,” his voice echo in my ears. “You’re a very special friend.”

 

 

The warm still spreading, from my hand to every part of my body. Every inch I can feel it – pumping hard and alive.

“You can just drop me here.” I speak shyly as I let go off his hand.

He raises his hand awkwardly and scratch the back of his neck “Alright, sleep early.” It was dim yet his cute smile could still dazzle me. “See you tomorrow.”

I watch him walk away till he’s out of sight before walking to the doorstep.

“You’re with him?” a voice startle me.

“Sanghyun-ah!” I howl. “Can you please stop scaring me?”

The steps he takes to get closer, his solemn face shows. It’s not the usual mischievous face I know. “You’re with Jang Wooyoung?”

“Have you heard about him in school? He’s dangerous.”

“He’s not!” I retort hard and loud. “Don’t speak like that about him. You don’t even know him!”

“So you know him?!”

“At least I know him better than you!”

I breathe hardly to catch my breath. “I’m sorry I lied to you just now, but you don’t have to be so angry, right?”

“Jieun, don’t tell me…” he takes a pause, “…you like him?”

I blink furiously and my dry lips.

Before I can reply, he rampages his jeans, takes out his wallet and hold out a well-folded note. “Wish,” he reads, “one time use.”

He holds it out, placing it right in front of my eyes. “I want to make a wish now.”

“I want you to stay away from him.” I can hear him swallow hard, “don’t fall in love with him…”

 


Ѽ:
I've finally updated. You're welcome. :)