2013

The Beginning of a New Year

A lonely new year in Los Angeles.

As I sat on the couch watching the ball drop in New York on the T.V., I kept thinking about him. What he was doing, who he was with, and was he thinking about me too.

Probably not, you see we've been playing this game forever. It's called do we like each other or not. He's more honest about it that me though.

Our friends are all with their significant others right about now. So there's no way I'm spending my time with them. I know I'm a bother to them anyway, plus it seems much more lonely watching them kiss than being in an empty house spending my new year on my own.

It's 11:00 I'm losing hope.

It's 11:15 I've lost hope and bury myself in a part of my mind called depression.

As I'm in this disorienting state I here a doorbell and a knock on the door. Startled I get up and open it.

There he is.

He waves. "hi."

Why is he here? He should have came sooner. Before I slipped into this state.

I walked back to the couch without a greeting and fixed my eyes to the TV.

Flustered he came in with hesitation and sat down next to me.

"Nicole, are you okay?" he shook me a bit.

I gave him a thumbs up, eyes still on the TV.

"Where's the rest of your family?" he asked.

"Without me." was my simple reply.

We watched the New Years Eve special on TV for a few minutes before he spoke up.

"Do you have anything to drink?" "Fridge." I pointed the direction it was in.

"There's only beer." he shouted from the open door of the fridge.

"Good. Bring them here." he pulls out a 12 rack and heads towards my direction.

I immediately open mine and take a swig. "Thanks." I said then took another long sip.

He opens one for himself.

11:51 We finished three bottles in a row each and are starting to feel the buzz. Our conversations were longer, our laughs louder, and our smiles genuine.

11:55 We were laughing at something I can't even remember. I glance over to him.

"Who would have guessed I'm spending my New Years with you?"

He smiled then hit my fourth bottle of beer in effect to cheers.

"Me." he finally replied.

"You confuse me Jay, a lot."

"Why?" he tilted his head at an angle where he knew he looked cute.

"You have major game." I scoffed.

"Apparently I don't since I haven't snagged you yet."

I laughed. " What a ing line."

He laughed as well.

11:58 "Let's have an honestly minute right now" he suggested.

"Okay. But this is how we'll play, you say 3 things on your mind and so will I." I agreed as he nodded.

"1. I find you a mystery still after we've known each other for 3 months already.

2. I know I always call a lot of other girls cute or pretty in front of your face, but It's mostly to make you jealous.

3. You have really pretty eyes and," he hesitates. "I've honestly never used that line on any other person."

I looked into his eyes and saw eagerness and nervousness of what would come out of my mouth.

"1." I started. "I like how you are eager to get to know me better because I'm eager to get to know you better as well

2. When you said those girls were pretty I was jealous although I acted like I wasn't.

3. The only person I really wanted to spend this new year with was you."

Just as I finished the countdown started.

We stared at each other with mixed emotions but the most dominant was joy.

"45.." the people on TV shouted.

I wonder if they were as high as I had been in this moment.

"30.." I smiled.

"10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1.."

And he leaned in to kiss me.

What a way to start 2013.

---

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

I wish you all the best for the New Year..!

-HelloMisterTH-