The Beast

The Beauty of the Beast

 

              Staring out the window, he waited. Patiently he waited for her: the Beauty. She was the best thing that ever happened to him, and to his luck, he saw her almost every day. 8:15 sharp, the bells chimed as the door to the Black Rose café opened.

 

 

In walked the Beauty.

 

 

As per her schedule, she greeted the staff of the café: First the owner’s son, working the cash register, Byunghun; next the two waiters with voices like heaven, Chanhee and Daniel; then the eldest, Minsoo, at the barista; then the youngest, Jonghyun, giving the tables a final shine before customers flood the café. Finally she greets Changhyun, who serves pastries and sweet treats. He is by far the youngest looking, and some even say he’s the sweetest and most playful of the group. He is her prince.

 

 

“Good morning Changhyunie! How are you today?”

 

 

Her smile dazzles him and her voice sooths him. Just being in the same room makes him calm yet excited. He gives her the happiest smile she’ll see all day and replies to her:

 

 

“I’m wonderful, Nayoon noona! How is the fair princess?”

 

 

She giggles. So delicate yet elegantly, she giggles. One hand drifting in front of , she laughs in a way that sounds like wind chimes in the breeze.

 

 

“Wonderful as well!”

 

 

She turns away, and walks to her table by the window. She sits there every day, and only sits there.

 

 

“And my fair prince leaves his princess yet another treat!”

 

 

Smiling, she takes her seat and picks up the treats her prince left for her. Every day they wait for her. The pastry, carefully picked by her prince, changes daily, the fruit also changes, but matches the taste of the pastry, while her coffee is always just how she likes it: decaf, four sugars, three creams, iced in the summer, steaming hot in the winter.

 

 

Ricky smiles as she eats her breakfast, happy that she is delighted with his choices for the day. Since they first met, he’s never failed to make her smile every morning. He waits until she finishes, then they leave: She to go to her morning classes at the near-by university, he to walk her there.

 

Along the way, they don’t speak, but rather enjoy the silence. He constantly watches, scanning for any signs of danger, and scaring away men that try to talk to her. She is lost in thought, thinking about what may happen today.

 

 

All too quickly, they arrive at their destination, and he reluctantly parts with her to return to the café. Though they have parted, he is not sad. He knows he did well, keeping her safe. He knows she’s happy and that’s what matters. Work goes by quickly with his friends at his side and his princess in his thoughts.

 

 

4:28, he’s at the front gate of the university, waiting on her. She walks out at 4:30, and he walks her home. Again, no words are exchanged. He, again, watches for danger, especially around ally corners. She, again, is lost in thought, not paying attention to where she is going but rather relying on muscle memory to take her home. Once they arrive, he makes sure she enters safely, then leaves for his own apartment. Again, he is happy knowing he kept her safe.

 

 

For the remainder of the day, they don’t see each other, but he knows she’s alright. He’ll never let anything happen to her. No, his princess will always be safe.