With You

Feelings Kept Inside

I heard my phone ringing; someone was calling me. I looked at the clock and it says eight in the evening. I didn’t notice that I fell asleep. Wow.

     I picked up my phone and answered it, “Yeobosaeyo?”

     “Jinks? Are you busy? I’ve been texting and calling you but you weren’t answering,

     “Oh, hey, Hyo. Sorry. I fell asleep,”

     I heard her giggle on the other line before saying, “Well, I’m in front of your dorm right now,

     My eyes widened and I quickly stood. I went to the window and peeked outside. Surely, she was there. She looked up and waved at me.

     “Why won’t you come inside? Why didn’t you ring the doorbell?” I asked, hurriedly coming out the room and running downstairs.

     “It’s okay,” She said.

     I reached the front door and opened it. She was already on the porch steps. She greeted me with a smile as she hung up the phone. I stopped myself from sighing; her smiles are really..

     Breathtaking.

     “What’s up? It’s getting late,” I said.

     “Are you doing anything right now?” She asked, tilting her head to the side.

     I shook my head. “I just woke up. Do you want to come in?”

     It was her turn to shake her head, “Aniyo.” She answered. “So let me guess, Jessica really didn’t do anything?”

     I just shrugged.

     “Let’s go!”

     I blinked. “What? Where?”

     “Out!” Hyoyeon laughed and grabbed my hand, tugging it.

     “But Key” I said, closing the door.

     “Don’t worry!” She grinned, practically already pulling me. I just followed her.

     “Where are we going anyway?”

     “It’s a secret,” She giggled.

      “Okay?” I just shrugged again and hand in hand, we quietly walked together.

     This is also another thing that I like about Hyoyeon. We always have this comfortable silence. We didn’t have to speak. While with Jessica, when everything fell silent, it feels really awkward and I hate being awkward. I hate awkward feelings.. so I try to keep talking to keep the mood up.

     It gets tiring.

     We passed through the park and into the woods. I noticed the path where we’re going: it was the way leading to the gazebo beside the small pier. That place was where Hyo and I would always hang out. It was, in a way, abandoned. The pier was located behind the park.. Nobody goes behind the park but since Hyo and I liked taking walks together, we went beyond and found it.

     “Close your eyes, Jinks,”

     “Why?”

     “You trust me, don’t you?”

     “Of course, I do.”

     “Then close your eyes,”

     I just stared at her and shrugged, “Alright, alright.” I closed my eyes.

     Hyoyeon carefully lead me to.. I don’t really know where but I could still feel the way to the gazebo. We were walking slowly, Hyoyeon serving as my guide.

     Thus was I right when she told me to take a step up. We’ve reached the gazebo already. But why would she want to have my eyes closed?

     My question was answered when she told me to open my eyes. When I did, I saw the gazebo full of lights. Between it was a candlelit table for two and food was already served. I examined everything and wow, the place looked lively. Before, the gazebo only had one fluorescent light but now, it’s..

     “Wow,” I breathed out.

     “Did you like it?” Hyoyeon asked, smiling.

     “Of course!” I smiled widely, looking at her. “Did you prepare all these?”             

     “Mm-hmm,” She nodded, “All for you, birthday boy!” She reached for my hair and ruffled it. “Let’s eat?”

     I nodded and went to the table. I pulled out a chair for her and she sat down, saying her thanks. I sat across her and looked at the food. Of course, fried chicken will never be absent on the table.

     “When did you prepare these?” I asked.

     “Do you think I’m going to tell you?” She laughed.

     “No, not really,” I laughed as well, taking the fork and knife. “But why?” I asked, taking a chicken leg and putting it on my plate.

     “Because I want to celebrate your birthday.. with just the two of us.” She smiled softly and I felt my cheeks feel warm. My heart started to pound as I clear my throat.

     “Well, that’sThanks.” I just smiled back.

     “And you sounded upset with all the Jessica problems you’re having so I want to make you happy today,”

     I just hope you won’t mention her anymore.

     “You always make me happy, Hyo.” I just said then I added quickly, “Let’s eat!” I grinned and I started eating.

     Wow, this fried chicken tastes really good. I nodded to myself.

     “Did you like it?”

     I looked at her and nodded, “Very,” I chuckled. “Thanks. You’re such a great cook,”

     “Thanks!” Hyoyeon giggled, “All for you, Jinks.” And she started eating.

     While we ate, we shared and talked about a lot of random things. We laughed together and I even almost choked with my food. Hyoyeon just laughed at me before handing me water. She gives me more reasons to love her, really. I wonder what would have happened if she were my girlfriend..

     Would I be happier?

     After we ate, we went to the pier and sat down. We dangled our feet to the waters and played with it with our toes. I leaned back, having my arms for support, and looked up at the stars in the sky.

     “Thanks, Hyo,” I said.

     “For what?”

     “For this.. For everything,” I looked at her and smiled.

     She smiled back and said, “You’re always welcome, Jinks,”

     I chuckled, “You’re the best,”

     “I try,” Hyoyeon grinned and looked up at the stars. “Wah~ So beautiful.”

     I stared and watched her in admiration. I looked down on our hands which were almost touching and I resisted the urge to hold it. Should I even?

     I really want to.

     “Oh, yeah! I almost forgot!” Hyoyeon exclaimed and I almost jumped in surprise. She stood and told me to wait here then she went back to the gazebo.

     I snapped my fingers and looked down at my feet.

     Just as when I’ve decided to hold her hand.

     After awhile, I heard her singing the happy birthday song while carrying a cake; a candle was lighted above it.

     I stood and she stopped in front of me. When she was done singing, she smiled and said:

     “Happy birthday, Lee Jinki! Make a wish and blow your candle!”

     The only wish I want to have right now is you.

     I smiled at her before I blew the candle.

     “Yay!” Hyoyeon cheered.

     We sat down again, placing the cake between us. She handed me a knife and told me to cut the cake but I didn’t want to. I took the fork she was holding and I poked the cake with it. I took a piece and ate it.

     “Jinki!” She laughed at what I did.

     “Mmm, did you bake this?”

     Still laughing, she nodded and answered, “Nae~”

     “As expected, it’s great!”

     “Thank you! I’m so glad you like it!” She giggled.

     “Like it? I love it,” I laughed and I kept eating. I offered, of course, and she ate as well.

     We ate together while splashing some water with our feet. We don’t say anything but we’d laugh and grin at each other once in a while.

     “Uh, Jinks?”

     “Yeah?” I asked, swallowing the piece of cake I was eating.

     “You got something on your mouth,”

     “Oh?” I the sides of my mouth. “Is it gone?”

     “Umm, no. Wait, let me,” Hyoyeon wiped my mouth with her thumb. “There you go,” She smiled.

     “Oh, thanks!”

     I’d be lying though if I said that my heart didn’t start pounding..

     When her thumb came in contact with my mouth.