Budding

My First Bite

 

May 20th, 1999 – age 6
I met a frog in the park today. He was having lunch with his family in the grass. There was a little girl there with the same eyes as him only hers were a lighter color, just like her hair. The frog had black hair and she had brown. But they were both cute. I was by the swings when they opened a plastic box with red fruit inside, and the frog asked me to try one. He was excited and said that even strangers should taste the best food in the world. He was a little bit shorter than me, but he was still cute, plus he said they were the best ever. So I had to try one.
I didn't like it very much. It was a little bit sour and one of the seeds got stuck in my tooth. I like sweet stuff, and it has to be mushy or else I won't like it. The fruit that the frog gave me didn't taste sweet and it wasn't soft enough. So I spit it out on the ground, only his shoes were right where I spit. I didn't mean to I promise but that's where it went. Right on his shoes. I told him sorry but he laughed at me. Well, I think he was laughing at me but he wasn't. He just thought it was funny that I spit on his shoes. Even though I did that though, he helped me clean up my chin and smiled at me like I had a pretty sticker from the doctor on my face.
I don't like doctors but mommy says they're good so I have to be nice.
At least I still get a lollipop and a sticker when they stick the pointy thing in my arm. I like stickers. Specially pretty ones with rainbows or sparkles on them.
Oh and yellow ones, I like those too.
Because yellow is my favorite color.
Not red. Because of that fruit the frog gave me.
Those were red.
--------------------------
April 8th, 2003 – age 10
Today is my friend's birthday. He finally wanted me to come to his party. He hasn't asked me to do something like this before so I was kind of nervous. I'm okay now, though. It was a lot of fun. Jonghyun is one of the cool kids at school so he has a lot of money to throw the best party ever. The only thing was that his family had to join in on the fun. That's why I decided to write today. Jonghyun's cousin was the frog. The frog I met a long time ago. He went to the party. He was a little bit taller than me this time but he still had the same face. And the strawberries. He brought some to the party. Well his mom did. She cut them up and put them on sugar cookies with frosting. It was really good, much better than a plain strawberry. The frog loved them. He said they were the best, just the fruit. This time, I think he was right because those cookies were amazing.
Not as amazing as bananas because I love those more than anything, but those cookies really were the best.
For cookies.
Not fruit.
--------------------------
January 9th, 2007 – age 14
Frog boy and I are friends now. He asked me to come to his birthday- new year- Christmas bash. His birthday was on the 9th, then Christmas was two weeks later, and then the new year. So he asked for a party for his birthday and invited me. He invited a lot of other people too but he seemed to talk to me more than anyone else. And guess what? His cousin's party I went to? HE wanted me to go, not Jonghyun. I would have been sad about it but Frog boy made me happy by telling me that. I wonder how much more my name came up between them though... something tells me that Frog boy knows a lot more about me than even I know.
Well maybe not, but still. Why did he want me to go to Jonghyun's birthday party? He didn't know me very well. He only saw me that one time at the park and even then, he didn't find out anything about me. People say that in order to make friends, you have to get to know them. Well what was he doing then? At his party, not Jonghyun's but at Frog boy's party, he told me that I was a great friend. All I did was listen to him. He was mad at his mom and dad because they thought his music choice was too grown up for a twelve year old's party. But like I said, I just listened, I didn't even know we were friends. But since we are... I think it's okay for me to like that smile he kept giving me. The one like before, because of an invisible sparkling sticker. I think maybe he thought I was cute too. Maybe. I don't know yet.
But I really want to find out.
--------------------------
October 31st, 2009 – age 16
I decided to throw a Halloween party. I invited a few people from school and yes, I made sure to ask Jonghyun to bring his cousin along. And I stocked up on 'the best food in the world' just for him... Minho... I don't refer to him as Frog boy anymore. Apparently it has a negative connotation to it. And seeing as how my heart races each time I take a look at him, I really don't think that calling him a frog would be a good thing. Especially in front of him. But then again, I can never speak when I'm around him so that seems a bit impossible anyway. Things change like that. It was never a problem before, but ever since I hit puberty, I can't say a word. I'm sixteen now, for pete’s sake, I shouldn't be acting like a little school girl around him. Get your head together Taemin! You can be cool around him! Use your voice already! Do something more than smile! You can do it.
Time to party Tae.
Party hard :)

I tried. I really did. Dancing in a faerie costume wasn't that hard, especially because of the tights. Lots of freedom with different moves. I did show off a little, just because I could... but then Minho showed up and I suddenly forgot how to dance, move, walk, speak breathe blink... I was hopeless. Why? He arrived wearing an Aladdin costume.
An. Aladdin. Costume.
Purple vest with nothing underneath. Baggy white sweats made of silk. And then this cute little hat pinned to his shoulder-length brown hair, my god he looked so... what's the word. He was just gorgeous. That was another thing that came with puberty, that odd feeling down... there. It was never bad. Not as bad as it was when I saw him walk into my decorated living room with his cousin.
I'm not sure what Jonghyun was dressed as.
Either way, he looked like a T-rex.
But anyway, the reason I chose to write about this tonight wasn't to reminisce about how good he looked. Though... I could definitely keep writing about that if I wanted to. And I do. But I can do that later.
Like I said, he came in, I stood in shock, vitals behaved haphazardly- then I went into some sort of an adrenaline rush, literally sprinting away from the room, making my way through the crowd to try and avoid him. I needed to get my body in check before everyone saw how gay this faerie really was, so I headed off to my room, but people were in there. I don't know why I chose the hall closet, but it seemed safe enough.
That's what I thought anyway. Then guess what happened? A few seconds after I tried calming down, in comes the Frog prince, Aladdin.
WHAT KIND OF FAERIE TALE IS THIS?!
He said something but I could barely hear him over the pounding in my chest, my ears, my entire body just pulsed because of his presence. Needless to say, my face burned with... with embarrassment? Maybe shyness? I couldn't help it.
He spoke again and asked if I was okay.
"Yes."
"Are you sure?"
He turned the light on with the pull string but I reached up and nearly yanked the chain out. Knee-jerk reaction. I didn't want him to see my face because I knew it was bright red. Even if I had glitter all over the place, my cheeks were flaming red.
"Are you sure nothing is wrong?"
He was so worried. That made my heart crash even harder. He cared about me.
"I'm okay I promise," I whispered. Again, my voice wasn't working right. And he didn't believe me because of that.
"Why won't you let me see you then? Are you embarrassed?" I started to shake my head but then I got worried.
"Should I be embarrassed?"
I heard him laugh but I could barely see him so I didn't get to see his perfect smile. That was alright though. Because then he said, "No, you look adorable."
HE CALLED ME ADORABLE.
I wanted to see him so I turned the light back on.
He was a lot closer than I thought though. So I gasped and shut it off one more time, only to have him turn it on again. And laugh.
That made me smile. "You really think I look adorable?" I asked quietly, just to make sure my mini heart attack was had with merit.
"That depends, are you going to decorate my shoes with ABC strawberries again?"
I grew confused at first but I remembered and dropped my chin to my shimmering chest with a pout. "I-I didn't mean t-to d-"
He cut me off and lifted my chin up, showing that charming smile again and then I swear to god, I died when he kissed me. He tasted like strawberries already and I think that's what won me over. I didn't expect it at all but he seemed to know what he was doing. Not that it lasted very long... That's okay though because you know how in the stories, when the frog gets kissed, he turns into a handsome prince? Well once he stole my first kiss, he seemed to get more attractive with each passing second.
Then he asked me to go dance and THAT'S when I decided that if he wanted to kiss me again with those strawberry flavored lips of his, he could go right ahead.
-----------------------------
December 31st, 2009 – still 16
I've been lying to my parents. Is that bad? I really hope they'll understand. Minho asked me to be his boyfriend and I said yes. But eomma... Eomma told me before that it's illegal for boys to be boyfriends. I guess I'm gay now but I don't care. I really don't. Minho is manlier than I am and in any case, I look like a girl so no one would judge me if I just wore a stuffed bra when we go out... but that would be weird, wouldn't it?
I think I'll ask him what his opinion would be on that. Hopefully he won't get mad. But on a happy note...
WE'VE BEEN DATING FOR TWO MONTHS.
I'm so excited. Three more months and statistics say we'll be together for at least a year. That's good, I think.
Right now I'm at his house. He's playing a video game. It's called Stranded... Stranded Redemption or something like that. Hang on I'll

Nevermind he was watching me write the whole time. That's embarrassing. He can't see now though

Dead Island is what the game is called. And he said I don't need to worry about people judging us because he'll beat them with a boat paddle like he does the zombies in the game.
He's such a dork but I like him. I don't like the game at all though. It's scary. And if he tries to kill one of the undead with a knife, they get up into the camera and you can see their decaying body. It's so gross... I don't like it.
I think I have to stop writing now though.
Minho says he wants to go into the new year with a bang. I'm not sure what he means but judging by his smile, I think it's going to involve lying to mom again.
He locked the door... Now he's... he took off his shirt.
He almost looks tired now
There's 15 minutes left of this year, I don't underst
He's undoing his pants
I'm trying to pretend I don't notice but

 oh god he's getting closer