Final

A Snowflake Landed Upon His Cheek (oneshot)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

---

A Snowflake Landed Upon His Cheek.

The young man brushed it away impatiently. The frost from his glove didn't help the cause, as the piece of cloth was was nearly stiff. Ah, yes. Just his luck, to be here in the cold. He had been sitting there, in that worn, painfully cold chair, waiting. His arms lay limp on the small table, his head drooping in fatigue. Strands of gray-blue hair fell into his face, not helping to warm him, as it seemed a bit of frost had accumulated on his head, also. Of course; he had to have been waiting for an overly unpunctual person. In the blistering cold weather. Alone.

It was below freezing outside that day; typical of winter. A snowy glaze had neatly fashioned itself on the ground around the teenage boy. Even in his overcoat, he shivered underneath, unable to resist the harsh temperature. And it seemed even more ironic that the cafe he had neatly perched himself near was full and near bursting, leaving the only available tables outside, in the cold. The boy was tired, and his skin popping up rapidly from the conditions that he had landed himself in. He half expected a few blisters to form on his icy palm. Oh, those damned freezing cold conditions.

The young man scowled. Anger welled up inside him, and he began to wonder why the hell he was outside in this weather, anyway. It felt like evident suicide, to sit here in the cold. No one else was outside, as the other tables were barren. He must've looked like an idiot, sitting at an outdoor cafe table. Oh, no; the rest of the town's population were curled up inside their comfortable homes, or, as was the status quo, inside a packed and unstable store with an air conditioner. These thoughts flowed through his mind, tantalizing the boy. This was perfect. Freezing, snowing... The indoors were calling him. That huge manor he lived in had at least half a dozen fireplaces, all asking to be lit in his favor. The only people that would be running around in this weather were ditzy school girls, too caught up in the beauty and romance of winter to realize...

... Romance? He felt the color rush to his cheeks, perhaps the first time his face had felt warm in the last few hours. Had he actually thought that? Romance? Idiotic, he steamed to himself, I'm not here... because of romance.

No, he couldn't be there because of that. He had only invited her to join him here, just for a casual meeting. It had never crossed his mind it would've been so cold, but... No, not for the sake of romance.

His gazed meandered to one of the store windows on the strip across from him. It seemed winter apparel was the current theme; many bright designer jackets and coats lined the windows, their colours tempting ignorant passer-by to sport one. It was supposedly amazing there still were window displays, as the boy saw several people squirming about behind it. Of course, better in a trendy clothing store than outside on a rusty chair that was two sizes too small for you...

Something bright caught his eyes; ... something red. Yes... it was a deep scarlet jacket. The coat fit neatly on one of the mannequins featured i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter