One Of A Kind

Yes Sir, I'm One Of A Kind

 

I looked around in awe, unable to believe where I was. The room was filled with balloons, streamers and people; specifically Asian people. When I found out I’d won the worldwide contest to go to Bigbang’s New Year’s Party, I didn’t think I’d be the only foreigner to win. But really, everyone was at least of some Asian background! That is, except for me. I felt a little uncomfortable, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me from having fun.

“Hello everyone!!!!” someone shouted from the doorway. I turned to see my bias, G-Dragon, standing there with wide open arms.

“Ahhh!” “Omo!!!” “Oppa!!!” The other fangirls ran toward the members, smothering them in hugs and greetings. I hurried over to join, but was blocked by the nineteen other crazed girls.

“Annyeong! Annyeong!” Seungri laughed, hugging two overexcited guests.

Everyone was speaking Korean. I felt like I didn’t know what was happening.

“Annyeong haseyo!” Suddenly GD was standing right in front of me with a smile on his face. “Oh- you’re not Korean.”

“N- no, I’m from the United States,” I replied, unable to believe that I was actually talking to my bias.

“Are you the only one that isn’t Korean here?” he asked, looking around.

“I think so.”

“Well we will make you feel especially welcome then,” he smiled.

“Thanks,” my cheeks turned a deep red. Thankfully the lights were dim and the disco ball didn’t supply much brightness, so he couldn’t tell.

T.O.P said something to the whole crowd in Korean and everyone began to quiet down. One my one people began to introduce themselves. I stood at the end of the line, nervously waiting for my turn.

“Um, Annyeong haseyo,” I bowed. “My name is Lindsay and, um, I’m from the United States.”

“Hi.” “Hello.” People waved, most of them unsure of what I’d said.

Next Bigbang introduced themselves. When it got to GD, he spoke in English and looked right at me with a smile. My cheeks reddened again and I felt so self-conscious with all the jealous fangirls staring at me.

“Now get party started!” Seungri shouted once all introductions were made.

The DJ began to spin some tunes and people spread throughout the room.

“Lindsay?” Someone tapped me on the shoulder, and I turned to see GD once again. “That’s your name, right?”

“Yes,” I nodded.

“It’s nice to meet you. Guys, this is Lindsay,” he pushed the other members toward me and introduced us personally. He said something to them in Korean to which they all responded, “Ohhhh.”

“We will make you feel happy here,” T.O.P smiled.

“We have fun time!” Seungri added, “Dancing party time!”

“Alright,” I giggled at their adorable Engrish.

“Are you hungry?” GD questioned.

“Kind of. I didn’t have time to eat anything before coming,” I replied.

“There is food over there. Eat so you’re not hungry. It’s good,” he motioned to the snack table in the corner.

“Okay, thank you,” I smiled, then headed toward the snack table to see what there was.

The first thing that caught my eye was the kimchi. I’d been craaaaving kimchi for the past month, but I never had the time to run out to the Korean market about a half an hour away from my house to pick some up.

“Yum,” I mumbled to myself happily, putting some on my plate.

Suddenly I became conscious of three girls standing at the other end of the snack table eyeing me. They were making disgusted faces and whispering to each other. It was obvious they were talking about me.

“Do you want something?” I put my hands on my hips.

“What are you doing here?” one girl scrunched her nose at me. Her English wasn’t bad at all. “You’re the only foreign person here. Can’t you tell this place isn’t for you?”

“I deserve to be here as much as you do. I’m a VIP and I won the contest fair and square,” I retorted.

“Please, you can’t be a real VIP if you live on the other side of the world. You don’t go to their fan meets or visit the airport when they come back from a long tour. You just sit there watching videos and staring at pictures pretending to be a fan.”

“You’re so rude!” I remarked in disgust.

“Stay away from GD and the other members too!” one of the other girls threatened. “We see you flirting with them and taking advantage of the fact that you’re a foreigner. You don’t even speak the same language as them, so you don’t stand a chance!”

“A chance for what? I can’t just be friends with them?”

“No, because they’re ours,” the third girl put her hands on her hips.

A lump was forming in my throat and I could feel tears of anger and hurt building up behind my eyes.

“Leave. Nobody wants you here anyway! You won’t be missed!”

“This is ridiculous!” I threw my hands up in the air and stomped away from the girls toward the balcony door. Looking around to make sure nobody saw me, I slipped outside. I stood leaning against the railing, looking out over the snowy city. It was really cold out and the wind was quite bitter, but I didn’t dare go back inside. Instead, I just dealt with the cold wind which whistled right through my sweater.

My tears turned cold as they ran down my cheeks and my nose was bright red from the chill. I had no pockets, so I slipped my hands under my armpits to keep them warm. It was hard to tell which atmosphere was colder, in there or out on the balcony.

“I want to go home now,” I said out loud, looking up at the dark sky.

“Don’t wish for that.”

I jumped, startled by a voice behind me. Of course I recognized the voice, but I was surprised to hear it.

“The party just started. Why do you want to leave? And why are you out here? It’s cold!” he remarked, stepping toward me.

“Oh, i-it’s nothing,” I replied, wiping my eyes and turning away. “I’m sorry; I’m a mess right now.”

“What’s wrong?” he put his hands on my shoulders, turning me around to face him. GD’s soft face and comforting gaze greeted me.

“I just don’t feel like I belong here, that’s all,” I shrugged.

“Come here,” suddenly he wrapped his arms around me, slipping me inside his jacket. “You’re freezing. Now tell me, why do you feel like this?”

“I-I’m totally different from everybody,” I explained, shaking more from the excitement of being so close to my bias than from the cold. “People think that I’m taking advantage of being foreign to spend more time with you and the other members. I didn’t want to make them jealous or upset.”

GD chuckled and smiled down at me, “Don’t worry about what they think. You’re not different, you’re one a kind!”

I cracked a smile at his song reference.

“See, you look better when you smile. I like you happy!”

“Thank you,” I said shyly, looking up at him.

“We said we would make you feel welcome, didn’t we?” he smiled, still holding me close to his warm body.

“How can you be so nice but so cool at the same time?” I asked with a laugh.  

“It’s GD style,” he replied, pulling out a pair of sunglasses and slipping them on.

“It’s nighttime!” I exclaimed, “Why are you wearing sunglasses?”

“GD style!” he repeated, flashing me a smile. “Now let’s go inside before we freeze to death.”

“Okay,” I agreed, sad that this warming hug had to end.

Just before we let go of each other, my eyes widened at GD’s lips came down and kissed my forehead. I stared up at him in shock and he smiled shyly.

“Sorry,” he said, looking away. “I just kinda…”

“It’s okay,” I blushed. “I really don’t mind… at all.”

He raised his eyes to look at me again, then a smile spread across his face. “Can I try again?” he asked.

“Uh, sure,” I shrugged, slightly confused but totally okay with it.

He stepped toward me, wrapping me in a hug again. I closed my eyes, ready to feel his soft lips on my forehead. However, after a second of feeling nothing, I looked up at him in puzzlement.

“I think my aim was off last time,” he explained, leaning in and kissing me on the lips. My eyes were wide with shock and I just stood there, frozen in disbelief. GD was kissing me… voluntarily!!! My heart was going crazy and the butterflies in my stomach were fluttering at a mile a minute.

“Was that better?” he asked, pulling back and taking off his glasses to stare into my big, surprised eyes.

“Y-yeah,” I nodded, having no clue what to say.

“There’s just something about you that’s special,” he said, holding me close.

“Let me just make sure… is this a joke?”

“No,” he laughed. “I know it’s crazy, but it just feels right.”

“Yeah, I definitely agree on the feeling right part,” I nodded making him laugh that adorable laugh once more.

This time when he brought his lips to mine, I closed my eyes and kissed him back. I had given up on trying to convince myself this was really happening and just accepted it. Even if it was a dream, it was a darn good one!

“Hyung! Dancing party time! Not kissing party time! Learn your English better!”

We both turned to see Seungri standing on the balcony by the door, tapping his foot and shaking his head.

“You are pabo,” he scoffed, slipping back inside the building.

“So I’m the one that needs English practice,” GD said jokingly.

I let out a laugh and he gave me one last hug before we headed inside to get warm once again.