Chapter 18

Dyscalculia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Seung Hyun's POV)

When I read Teddy-hyung's message, I hesitated. I sensed that Audrey is pissed at me but I don't know why. I wanted to join them at their table despite already eaten but before I could have my say, Audrey cut me off and sent me off, back to my dongsaengs. Well, she had a point- I can't possibly be leaving Seung Ri's group of friends half way just like that. It would be rude. Besides, I'm a public figure. Rumors are going to circulate if I were to have my own way. I sighed and informed Ji Yong that I am taking my leave now. I said my goodbye to everyone and walked towards Audrey.

She looked really upset. Just then, I saw Teddy-hyung driving past. Ahh, it clicked now. Hyung must have left her there and asked her to head back with me. Knowing her, she wouldn't have ask me just like that. I'm pretty sure that she doesn't even want to look at me right now, considering how she did not even bat an eyelash at me. Jeez, she's my best friend but why are girls so complicated?!

She doesn't seem to realize that I am standing in front of her. She is fumbling, seemed to be looking for something inside her handbag. I cleared my throat and told her that I'll send her home. She looked up at me and I saw a flicker of annoyance in her eyes.

"It's okay. I'll just take the bus," she replied flatly.

"Yah, I'll send you home, k?"

"What about your new girlfriend?" What in the world is she talking about? She cocked her head towards the table where I was sitting a while ago and as I turned to see, a girl was looking at us.

"She's not my girlfriend. I barely said a word to anyone just now! Look, I promised Teddy-hyung that I'll get you home safely, alright? Now will you come with me?" I tugged at her arms and I am getting frustrated. She pulled away.

"Wanna eat ice cream?" Audrey suddenly said. What? Where did that come from?

Incredulous, I said, "In this cold weather?! Are you crazy??"

"Why? No? Okay then. I'll just go by myself. Just drop me off at the ice--"

"Okay, okay. Fine, alright. We'll go get ice cream. C'mon," I cut her off. So there is something that is bugging her. I have never pointed this out to Audrey all these years, but there's this thing that she does everytime when something is on her mind- she goes for ice cream. No matter what time, weather, or condition it is. It is even more obvious when she craves for ice cream at ridiculous timings. I usually find out a few days later or so what is it that's bothering her.

I gave in to her request, as usual. I drove away from the restaurant and headed to Audrey's housing area. We agreed to look for a nearby shop since it's getting late and it would be easier for her to get home later. Throughout the journey, neither of us said a word. I snuck a look when I could but she remain devoid of emotions. She was facing out towards the window the whole time. As I made the turning to her housing area, she said, "There's this ahjumma who has an ice cream cart or some sort over there. She opens till quite late. Let's go there." I made another turn and saw a middle-aged lady with an ice cream cart from afar. I parked the car and both of us got off. Without waiting for me, Audrey jogged lightly towards the tent-like shop. We took a seat and I was relieved because there's not much people here. Well, there is but they're mostly middle-aged. I wouldn't want to cause another baseless rumor.

"Which would you like to eat, dear? There's quite a few flavors to choose from," the lady smiled at us. Thinking, I kept quiet for a while before replying, "Chocolate mint."

"Chocolate mint," Audrey said at the same time. We looked at each other and shared a look. The lady giggled and said, "Alright, chocolate mint for the two lovebirds here." The both of us looked at the ahjumma and I opened my mouth to say something, but I decided against it. Audrey kept quiet as well, looking tired.

"When would people start to realize that we're not a couple?" Audrey muttered. 

Ignoring her statement, I started, "I don't get it. Why would ice cream be sold in this cold weather?"

"Well, they would have to do what they do to make a living. Life doesn't stop for anybody." She makes sense.

"But who would buy it in this weather? Won't their business be bad?"

"Well, thanks to customers like me, they might be doing good. Am I right, ommoni?" Audrey smiled at the ahjumma who brought us our ice cream.

"I scooped in extra for you, agasshi. Because you come here so often. I see you came with a friend this time," that ahjumma quipped in.

Surprised, I ask, "You come here alone all the time?!"

"Sometimes."

"Alone?!" Audrey nodded.

"See, I told you. Someone will be worried if you come

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter