The Breakup

Beautiful

 

 

01. The Breakup


 

Taecyeon's car jerked and came to a stop as he slammed on the breaks. He had picked me up to take me out to dinner at some fancy restaurant that he had read about on the Internet. The thing was that I wasn't sure whether I would be able to go through with breaking up with him once we got to the restaurant, where he would be acting all cute and y. So instead, I told him that we needed to talk. At first he said that we could talk at the restaurant, but then he saw the look on my face and drove past our turn off.

"You want to break up with me? After two years?" Taecyeon shouted in astonishment.

"I don't want to hurt you, Taecyeon. I love you," I replied, trying to calm him down. It was true, I really do love him, and I probably always will. The thing was that I just don't love him the same way that he loves me. I love him as a friend, but he was talking about things like getting married and having kids. I just couldn't picture it, not with him.

"If you love me, why are you dumping me?" He asked, confusion and hurt written all over his face.

"That's exactly why I am dumping you, because I love you too much to let this go on. I know how much you love me and I honestly believe that you are the greatest guy alive but I can't keep on pretending. I just don't feel that way about you anymore," I said, truthfully. I didn't want to hurt him but I didn't see any other way out.

"Get out," Taecyeon said, without looking at me. I could tell that he was trying to be strong but the tremble in his voice gave him away. I wanted to say no, and tell him that I didn't mean what I said but I couldn't, I couldn't keep leading him on just because I didn't want to cause him pain. He'll get over it eventually and "then he will find somebody who will treat him right and love him the way he should be loved.

"Please don't do anything stupid," I whispered before opening the door and getting out. He didn't answer. As soon as I shut the door, he sped off leaving me in a cloud of dust. I stood there for a second fighting the urge to cry. I promised myself that I wouldn't, but I also knew that it was a promise I wouldn't be able to keep.

I waited a few minutes before I pulled my cell phone out of my purse and dialed Donghae's number.  He answered immediately just like he always does.

"Hi beautiful," he greeted me. Donghae only called me by my real name when he was angry at me, which was almost never.

"Hey," I replied, my voice cracking abit.

"So you finally dumped him huh," Donghae said. He knew me so well. Sometimes, I think he knows me better than I know myself.

"Yeap, can you come pick me up?" I asked, knowing there was no way he would say no.

"Yeah, of course. Where are you?" Donghae asked, and I could hear honest concern in his voice. I wasn't sure about the street name so I just explained to him how we had driven. Donghae was good with directions so it shouldn't be a problem for him to find me.

"Okay, I'll be there in a few," he said. "Don't go anywhere."

"It's not like I have anywhere to go, Hae. I'm in the middle of nowhere," I giggled.

"I was just making sure, smartass. I'll see you soon." He said, and then hung up.

I closed my phone and slipped it back into my purse. I didn't know how long I would have to wait, so I kicked off my heels and sat down on the pavement. It was getting really dark but I wasn't too freaked out since it was a very busy road. About ten minutes had passed when I saw Donghae's car in the distance. I got to my feet, dusted them off and slipped my shoes back on. He pulled his car onto the pavement and jumped out. He ran around it and pulled me into his arms. I hugged him back just as I have many times before. Donghae is really the best friend a girl could ever ask for.

"I'm so sorry, I know how difficult that had to be for you," he whispered as he wiped away a single tear that had somehow managed to escape my eye.

"No you don't, you've never had to dump somebody you love before," I said jokingly, trying to lighten the mood. Donghae grinned at me and then opened the passenger door for me. I got in and watched as he jogged around the car, got in and started it up again.

I turned up the volume of the radio and smiled as one of my favourite songs started playing. Donghae and I have a lot in common except for the fact that he is a guy, emo, and openly gay. Nobody would ever been able to tell that he is gay because he really doesn't look the part but he doesn't hide it. He said that he doesn't want to pretend to be somebody he's not. There are quite a few guys at school that doesn't like him because of this fact but they don't give him a hard time since he is my best friend and I was dating Taecyeon who happened to be on the football team and extremely popular.

When we got to my house, Donghae pulled into the driveway and switched off his car. We went inside and looked around for my mother. We found her in the kitchen, sitting at the table furiously typing away on her laptop.

"I thought you were going to dinner with Taecyeon?" my mom asked, looking up at me curiously.

"I dumped him," I replied, and watched as her face changed. "And no, I don't want to talk about it." I continued before she could ask me what happened. I knew I would have to tell her eventually, but I just didn't feel like talking about it at the moment. She gave me one of her looks that I knew very well. It meant that she would let it go for a moment but that we will talk about it later.

"Okay, so what are you two doing tonight?" she asked, turning her attention back to her laptop.

"We are going to order pizza, raid the freezer for ice cream and watch movies all night until Yoona feels better." Donghae answered, as he walked over to the fridge and grabbed the pizza menu that was stuck to it with a little magnet. My mom didn't reply so I proceeded to get the icecream and spoons and then we headed upstairs to my room.

My mom is really great, she honestly cares about me, but overworks herself to pay the bills since my dad died. His death upset me, but Donghae helped me through it.

Donghae ordered the pizza while I went through my stack of movies and selected one. I chose a horror since I wasn't in the mood to watch anything involving romance. When the pizza arrived, Donghae went to fetch it at the door. Then we climbed into my bed and ate it while we watched the movie. The movie wasn't all that great, but it was a distraction so it was a good thing. When it finished we selected another one but I must have fallen asleep halfway through.

I woke to the sound of my cell phone going off, announcing that I had a message. I looked at the clock on my bed side table and saw that it was after twelve. I felt awful but got out of bed and grabbed my purse that was lying on my dresser. I got back into bed and took out my cell phone to see who was crazy enough to message me at this time of the morning. I clicked on the button to open the message and saw that it was Taecyeon. My heart started racing as soon as I saw his name. I took a deep breath and then read it.

I don't know what I did wrong but please give me another chance. I'm sorry if I have hurt you, I promise I'll be a better boyfriend if you give me another chance. I love you.

His words sent me over the edge and I couldn't help but burst into tears. Not because I felt bad about losing him as my boyfriend, and not because I was still in love with him, but because of how much he loves me and I know how much I hurt him. I wasn't sure what to reply to his message, so I just typed, "I'll talk to you tomorrow" and pressed send. Once the message had gone through, I turned off my phone and laid back in bed.

This was horrible. I felt guilty and I hated myself for what I had done.

"You had to do it, it would only have hurt him more if you left it longer." Donghae said softly from beside me.

"I know, but it still ," I replied. He laughed at me and then pulled me into his arms where I fell asleep.

Donghae woke me the next morning with breakfast in bed, he is really sweet that way. He is a great cook and makes me food whenever he gets the chance. I thanked him and gulped down the omelete, they are my favourite.

It was Sunday but mom went in to work anyway. She works for a law ferm and they are busy with some big important case so I haven't really seen much of her over the last few weeks. Donghae and I spent the morning at my house. We talked and laughed, but I knew that I was only putting off the inevitable so around eleven, I switched my phone back on and called Taecyeon. He sounded both relieved and sad when he answered. I told him that he could come over to my house so that we could talk.

Donghae waited with me until Taecyeon arrived. He hugged me and told me to phone him when Taecyeon and I were done talking. I promised, and he left, leaving me alone with Taecyeon.

Usually we would have gone upstairs to my bedroom, but I didn't want to give him any ideas, so I sat down on one of the couches in the living room. He looked disappointed, but sat down next to me without complaint.

"Will you please give me another chance?" Taecyeon asked again, making my insides turn with guilt. I wanted to give in to him, and tell him that everything would be alright. And that we could be together again, but I just couldn't do it. I didn't love him in that way anymore and if I was being completely honest with myself, I'm not sure if I ever did.

Taecyeon has always been a nice guy. He wasn't like those football quarterbacks in cliche stories where they were mostly mean and arrogant. He treated me with respect and we had loads of fun together. But I had never felt any sparks between us. I knew if I stayed with him, he would do everything for me, but that just wasn't enough. I wanted to feel excited when I kiss my boyfriend, I wanted sparks to fly between us, I wanted him to make my hair stand when he touched me, I want to feel as though my stomach was going to burst from all the butterflies.

I looked at the sad expression on his face and had to turn away before answering him. I couldn't stand the way he was looking at me.

"No Taecyeon, I can't. It won't work between us, I just don't feel that way about you anymore. I mean you're a great guy and I would like to stay friends with you, but I can't offer you more than that," I answered, praying that he would agree to be my friend. I really didn't want to lose him forever, like I said, I really do care about him. He was silent for a while before he spoke again.

"I don't understand. I thought we were happy," he whispered.

"I'm so sorry," I said, turning to face him again.

"Me too," he replied, as he got up from the couch.

I got up and followed him to the door. He never answered me if we could still be friends, but I had a feeling that the answer was no. I didn't know how I could cope without him in my life, but I guess I'm going to find out. Once he was gone, I phoned Donghae. He promised he would be over right away. I had no doubt about that, Donghae spent most of his time with me. We've been the best of friends since elementary school afterall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi, it's me again. As promised, a chapter has been uploaded. ^^ I don't know if there's a story about the best friend being gay in AFF, but I know for a fact that this storyline is all from my imagination. Well, some inspirations may have come from movies and other books, but yeah, overall this storyline is mineeeee.

 

I hope you liked it.

Subscribe, comment & vote (if you want to ;D)

When's the next update? Well, if I can get 10 comments, I'll upload chapter 2. ^^ Hehe, I'm a meanie~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

xGummyBears