Chapter Two

City Life- Seoul

 

Missed me? I haven't updated in a long, long time.... Sorry guys, I was busy with school work and my co-curricular activities since I am an IC for a programme. My exams are in two weeks, so i prob wouldn't update soon... I'm really sorry and I hope you will enjoy this chap. FYI, I am not abandoning this story, so no worries. :D

 

Warning: Unedited

 


 

Their mouths hung open and with wide eyes, they took in the sight before them. The skyscrapers reached high up into the sky, with the sunlight glinting off the glass panes. Pedestrians hurriedly dashed a across the road when the green light flashed. Crowds of people were walking on the huge streets, some occasionally dropping by at stores to buy things, some strolling with their lovers, some rushing to work in their work outfits and some were carrying bags of groceries.

Sungmin glanced at the two brothers and chuckled. "Amazing right? When I came here, I had the same reaction as you guys." Sungmin commented.

"You weren't from Seoul? Where were you from?" Jongwoon faces Sungmin with a curious expression.

"I was from Mokpo."

"Oh... Oh my god! Isn't that SM Institute?!" Jongwoon suddenly pointed at a huge building outside the window. The huge gates were closed, with two security guards standing at each side. The school building looked exactly like a beatiful palace, with intricate designs carved on the school gates and buildings. There were several buildings in the school compound and all of them looked equally beautiful. It looked like something completely out of a fairytale, and the students inside were all wearing formal school uniform, which included a white blouse, a blue blazer and blue long pants or skirts. The girls' hair were neatly tied up into buns or ponytails, while guys had their hair styled neatly.

"You know SM Institute?" Sungmin asked in surprise.

"..My childhood bestfriend...he left to come here." Jongwoon replied sadly, remembering the scene where Donghae and him stood at Hyukjae's house, bidding farewell to Hyukjae. 

"..I see. You miss him?"

"Of course. We grew up together and shared everything we had together. Bad or good memories, they will still be stuck in my head forever."

"Since you're in Seoul, maybe you can look him up?"

"Can I?!" Jongwoon asked excitedly, instantly brightening up.

"Yes, you can. But the only way to find him is to get in SM Institute, because no outsiders are allowed into the school. However, the entrance exams are extremely hard and difficult. Each year, about a thousand of students applied for this insitute and only a hundred lucky ones got in."

"...Ouch."

"Don't worry too much about that now. We have to meet Leeteuk hyung first."


 

Jongwoon stepped inside the sprawling mansion and almost forgot to breathe when he took in the sight before him. The mansion was lit up with dimmed orange lightbulbs and lamps, creating a lovely ambience and a beautiful crystal chandelier hung on top of the living room. The floor was carpeted with a soft and lush material. The furniture was all made of wood and soft cushions. The translucent curtains were drawn over the glass windows and everything was silent. Sungmin gestured for Jongwoon and Jongjin to go further in and instantly, a servant appeared before him and bowed politely. 

"Sirs, please allow me to take your luggage into your rooms. I have prepared a hot bath for you and please do go and have a refreshing bath." The servant informed politely and gently took the luggage away. Another servant then appeared in front of Jongwoon and Jongjin. 

"Sirs, please come with me. I will take you to the bathrooms." Jongwoon and Jongjin both followed, still in awe of the beautiful house they are in. They walked past many rooms and finally reached the end of the hallway. There were two rooms, both facing each other.

"Sirs, here are your rooms. The one on the right is Jongwoon sir's while the one on the left is Jongjin sir's. The bathrooms are adjoining, so you can go in now and have your bath. Afterwards, our stylists Kris and Kai will be here to choose your outfits. Then, we will bring you to see Master."

"Stylists...? Outfits?" Jongjin asked uncertainly.

"Sirs, please do not worry about that. It is just that you all need to be in formal wear since Master will be meeting an important guest this evening." 

"I see, thank you! We will go and have our baths now."

"Alright. I will be waiting outside, so if there's any problems,please feel free to call me, sir." With that, both Jongwoon and Jongjin headed into their respective rooms. Their luggage was all placed in Jongwoon's room, since the servant didn't know which is whose. That was fine, Jongwoon will just have to settle it with Jongjin later. Jongwoon stepped into the bathroom and got a shock when he was greeted by a sparkly clean and white bathroom. Not a single stain could be found and the bathtub was filled with hot water and flower petals, hot steam slowly rising up. With a huge grin, Jongwoon slipped out of the dirty clothes and had a refreshing bath.

After the bath, he dressed himself in a white robe hanging in his closet, and then he went to find the servant. Two males stood behind her with polite smiles. Jongjin was also there already, dressed in a similar robe.

"I see you have finished bathing, sir. Now, please follow us to the dressing room." The servant said and led the way to the so-called dressing room. After passing several corridors, they finally reached a room with the words 'Dressing Room' on the wooden door. They went in and the stylists immediately set to work, starting with their hair, before finding suitable suits for them to wear. By the time they left the room, both Jongwoon and Jongjin were dressed smartly in suits with ties and polished boots. They were then led to the dining room and they sat there until Leeteuk arrived with another man dressed in a black suit. 

"Sirs, this is Jongwoon and this is Jongjin. Please enjoy your dinner, I will take my leave now." The servant from earlier on bowed and disappeared from sight.

"So, you two are Jongwoon and Jongjin?" The guest asked, looking at the brothers.

"Yes, they are. Jongwoon and Jongjin sshi, this is Zhou Mi sshi." Leeteuk introduced.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Sir!" Both the brothers greeted immediately and ZHou Mi chuckled slightly at them.

"No formalities needed, I am around your ages, anyway." Zhou Mi informed the brothers, who were now shifting about uncomfortably in the suits.

"Jongwoon and Jongjin, Zhou Mi is a famous fashion columnist and his father is also famous for donating to charities. He will be here to help you get new and stylish clothes to fit in with our way of dressing here. He will be bringing you to the shopping mall later, and Sungmin will be there to assist you two. Just get anything you want, all expenses are on me. Afterwards, we will have a nice little talk about your parents. Is that alright?"

"S-Sure." Jongwoon stuttered nervously. Shopping mall? Fashion columnist? Stylish? He had definitely heard of these things before, just that he never had any contact with these things.

"Zhou Mi, how about you carry on with your task now?"

"Of course hyung. Jongwoon and Jongjin, please follow me!" Zhou Mi chirped happily and motioned for them to follow him. Jongwoon smiled hesitantly and dragged Jongjin along.


"Perfect fit! These clothes look so good on you, Jongwoon! Just go and change out and we're done for clothes shopping!" Zhou MI informed happily and Sungmin let out a relieved sigh. Finally. Jongwoon nodded with a huge grin plastered on his face, glad that everything was going well so far.

Jongwoon came out from the changing room minutes later, with the clothes in his hand. "Can we go now?"

"Sure, Jongwoon! Let's go and pay for the clothes first!" Sungmin led them to a  counter and gave the cashier a card. The cashier nodded and swiped the card, before handing the card back to Sungmin. She then packed the clothes into bags and hands it to Sungmin.

"Thank you for shopping with us. We hope you come again."

Once out of the store, Sungmin handed the bags to Zhou Mi and dragged the brothers to a electronics store and headed straight for the cellphone display.

"Hey Jongwoon and Jongjin, why not you two get cellphones too? That way, it will be easier for us to communicate in the future."

"B-But...its so...expensive." Jongjin pointed out and Jongwoon nodded.

"Don't worry about that, Leeteuk hyung's rich!"

"Alright then! Jongjinnie, let's get matching cellphones!" Jongwoon said excitdedly and the both of them started looking at all the different cellphone models.

"Sungmin hyung, we want this! One black for me and a white one for Jongjin!" Jongwoon ponited at a cellphone model and grinned.

"Alright! Miss, we will like a black and a white one for this model." Sungmin said and the lady behind the counter set about getting the two cellphones. After several minutes, she returned with the two boxes and Sungmin smiled.

"Thanks! Come on Jongwoon and Jongjin, lets go and pay, then we will go to buy your shoes." Jongwoon groaned at the statement. 

"But we're tired!" Jongjin complained.

“We must at least get two pairs of shoes for you two before we go back, that’s what Leeteuk hyung said.”

“Fine, let’s go and pay now! I want to end this quickly!” Jongwoon pouted.

 

When they got back to the mansion, Jongwoon and Jongjin wanted to just go and sleep, but there were important matters at hand. They needed to know what was Leeteuk’s relationship with his parents. They followed Sungmin to the study and Sungmin knocked on the door.

“Come in!” Leeteuk shouted from the inside. Sungmin opened the door and let Jongwoon and Jongjin step through. Then, he left them alone, closing the door behind him. Leeteuk looked up from a stack of papers and smiled. He stood up from his desk and motioned for Jongwoon and Jongjin to take a seat on the leather couch.

“So…how are my parents related to you?” Jongwoon asked as soon as he sat down.

“Actually, they weren’t related to me, but to my father. Your parents were once successful individuals with high ranking jobs, but they went bankrupt after a company they invested in collapsed. My father, who was a good friend of theirs, had offered to help them, but they refused. Soon after, they moved to Cheonan and your mother gave birth to you there. I only knew about this two years back, when my father passed away. He instructed me to help you guys in any way I can, so of course I decided to help you once I received your call.”

“Umma and appa were from Seoul?”

“Yeah, they never told you?”

“No…”

“Well, it’s most probably because of their bad experience here, so they don’t want you to know… Well, just another thing to note, I will be enrolling you two into high school and junior high tomorrow.” Leeteuk informed.

“School? What school?” Jongwoon asked curiously.

“Jongjin’s going to Kwanji Junior High, while you’ll be going to Seoul Arts High School… Is there a problem?” Leeteuk asked as Jongwoon’s face fell slightly.

“..N-No, just that I wanted to find my friend, Hyukjae from SM Institute… But outsider and visitors are not allowed. I wanted to try out this school but….”

“No problem, Jongwoon. I can just make a call and you will immediately become a student at SM. No entrance exam needed at all.”

“So easy?”

“They can’t say no to one of the richest guys in Korea, can they?”

“W-What?! I don’t want to get into the school that way! I want to get in based on my own capability!”

“If you say so….But the entrance exam is really hard. Many fail it.”

“But I am sure I could make it if I work hard.”

“..You didn’t even study before, did you?”

“I didn’t, but I know the basics.”

“I see, but what makes you so sure you will pass?”

“You’ll see. I will sign up for the entrance exam tomorrow and enrol Jongjin into his new school, is that alright?”

“Of course! Now, go and take a rest. I see that you two are very tired.” Leeteuk said, his gaze focused on a nearly-sleeping Jongjin.

 

Jongjin’s school was huge and modern, with almost everything made of glass and plastic. The classrooms were all air-conditioned and there were many facilities, including the gym, swimming pool, lecture theatres and self-study hall. Every student will get a locker for their books and everything was extremely organised. All three of them were satisfied and impressed by the school and had enrolled Jongjin in. And of course, Jongjin was accepted. He will need to report to school the next day.

Since that was the case, Leeteuk had bought a few sets of school uniforms for Jongjin. The uniform consists of a school blazer, a blouse and long black pants.

After that, they went back home and Sungmin helped Jongwoon submit an online form for the entrance exam. An email was later sent back to him, informing him that he will have to attend the second round of entrance exams, which was two weeks later. Of course, Jongwoon was very happy and immediately started studying, but one weird thing was, he kept going to the garden often. Leeteuk and Sungmin were both curious on what he was doing, but didn’t ask any questions, while Jongjin just shrugged, his mind focused on studying too.

Two weeks passed just like that and Jongwoon was very excited for the entrance exam. On the day of the exam, he woke up really early to prepare himself. He was dressed in a long sleeved shirt and long black pants, his hair neatly combed.

“Wow Jongwoon, you look great!” Sungmin complimented when Jongwoon got down for breakfast.

“Thank you, Min hyung. Where’s Jongjin?”

“He went to school early today for a project meeting.”

“Oh…”

“How’re you feeling?”

“EXCITED!” Jongwoon shouted and Sungmin laughed at him.

“Well, good luck on your exam! By the way, are you taking the exam for ‘talent’ or ‘studies’?”

“Both.”

“Both?”

“Yep, you’ll see!”

After breakfast, Sungmin drove Leeteuk and Jongwoon to SM Institute. Once they reached the front gate, there were a few teachers who ushered them into a room after checking Jongwoon’s confirmation letter. There was a mic at the front of the room and most of the students were there already. After a while of waiting, several judges entered the room, followed by a senior teacher.

“Welcome to SM Institute. This is the entrance exam under the talent category and each of you can either sing, act or dance. First up, we have Ah MinKy. Ah Minky, please.” The teacher called out and a girl stood up with a confident smile on her face. She went to the mic and announced that she will be singing. When she began to sing the first few notes, the students burst out into laughter, whispering with each other. The judges shook their head and scribbled in their sheets of paper.

“Stop singing, you’ve failed. Next!” One of the judges called out.

After several more average and bad performances by the others, it was finally Jongwoon’s turn. He stood up from his seat and headed to the front of the room.

“Hi, I am Kim Jongwoon and I will be singing ‘The More I Love’.” Jongwoon announced and Sungmin gave him a thumbs-up from the back of the room. The music then began to play and Jongwoon started singing, his husky and deep voice mesmerizing everyone. Silence filled the room and the only sound that could be heard was Jongwoon’s voice.

 

Hanjam tongam eun jakja ka ji ateun 
Jo euntok noho korien 

Ore jon kku moseup kkutero non 
So itsseum kot katta 

Neh kiok toteneun oretoe boril ekiji 
Nol boton naeui kku moseup 

Ijenneum neka nol bihareko hana 
Onjenka ui nojorom 

Ijen no eke nan okbeum iron kol 
Noreum saranghamyon halsurok 

Mol rii tto nakatorok 
Ssu jiteuk sikaeui hureum sokeh 

Neh kiok toteneun oretoe boril ekiji 
Nol boton naeui kku moseup 

Ijenneum neka nol bihareko hana 
Onjenka ui nojorom 

Ijen no eke nan okbeum iron kol 
Noreum saranghamyon halsurok 

Mol rii tto nakatorok 
Ssu jiteuk sikaeui hureum sokeh 

Ijeh jinaka kiokki rakoh 
Ttonamyul malhaton noekeh 

Sikan I hulroh jinal surok 
Noreum saranghamyon halsurok 

Noh ekeh nan appeun iottaneun kol 
Noreum saranghamyon halsu rokk~

 

As soon as he finished singing, everyone cheered and clapped for him. Leeteuk and Sungmin was even standing up, giving him thumbs-ups.

“You’ve passed! Congratulations!” The senior teacher announced. Jongwoon broke into a grin afterwards and high-fived Sungmin when he got back to his seat.

“Hey, your other exam is starting in twenty minutes, we should head over there now.” Leeteeuk said and Jongwoon nodded. They headed out of the room and was heading towards the examination room when someone grabbed onto Jongwoon’s arm.

“J-Jongwoon?!”


 

Two Questions:

1) Who do you think called Jongwoon?

2) Who do you want to cameo in this story? (besides Super Junior)