Can u smile?

Brighten up my Christmas Eve

*Author note: Please listen to this song while you read the story, thank you and hope you enjoy it ~


You were walking alone down the street, today was Christmas Eve and everything seemed prettier, lights enlightening the streets, kids running around with their families, couples hanging around, restaurants and shops filled with people, and the snow covering the town made everything even prettier… Miserably you’ll have to spend Christmas alone, since you were an exchange student you couldn’t afford going back home this holidays, since they won’t be lasting more than two weeks and you have to study for your exams too.

You keep on walking watching at your feet and  thinking about the last things that happened, you talked with your friends before on the phone but everyone had something to do, of course they’ll since they all have theirs families and mates here in South Korea. You sighed and suddenly a beautiful melody full-filled your ears, a guitar and a voice that you swear it could belong to an angel, as you keep walking you heard the lyrics of the song.

 

“And can you smile?

You want this,

You hope for this

With only my heart,

I can’t seem to have you.”

 

You lifted your head and saw him, sitting on a bench and playing the guitar, he was like a fallen angel, his hair was dark and short, his eyes were half closed but you were sure they were the most beautiful eyes you’ve ever seen, he was wearing winter clothes, a scarf covering his neck, he played the guitar as they were one, feeling every note. You stopped right on your tracks in front of him, he opened his eyes as he saw your feet and watched right in your eyes while he keep singing and playing, this time you could feel something different in the song, something that touched your heart and made you feel goosebumps all over your skin.

You stayed there staring at his eyes, lost in them and in the most beautiful song you’ve ever heard. He soon ended up playing the song and kept his eyes on you. You clapped showing a half smile, even if you wanted to show to him the best of your smiles you couldn’t, thinking that you would spend this days alone missing your beloved family and country, that keeps on running over and over your head.

 

“Thank you” –he said in English, you smiled more as he spoke, he thought that you wouldn’t understand Korean, cute.

“You’re welcome” –you spoke showing on your perfect Korean skills. He looked at you in awe, this wasn’t the first time that something like this happened to you, it was obviously that you were foreigner. As he kept watching at you liked that you decided to say something.

“That was a beautiful song, did you wrote it?” –you asked amused.

“Oh, really? Thank you, no, I didn’t, sorry but you’re Korean?” –he asked still confused.

“I see, oh no, I’m not Korean, I’m just an exchange student.”

“Your Korean is really good, even for being only a student, I thought you were born here” –he said showing a cute smile.

“Thank you” –you said shyly awkwardly rubbing your neck. He smiled even more and stood up.

“As you listened to the entire song I should thank you, do you want to go and drink something with me?” –he asked blushing a little bit but you could tell even if it was getting darker.

“That would be nice” –you said, accepting his offer.

 

 

Soon you found yourself on a coffee shop, drinking hot cocoa and talking with the cute boy you just have met.

“So, you’re not coming back for Christmas?” –he asked, taking you by surprise.

“No...” –you mumbled, hiding your face as sadness started growing on you.

“I see, sorry I shouldn’t ask that things” –he said feeling bad at his own question.

“It’s okay you see, I was the one that decided spending this days alone” –you said still watching at your feet.

“Then, should we spend it together?” –he suddenly asked.

“What?” –you said looking at him as your eyes widened. He laughed.

“Well I don’t have plans either for Christmas and I don’t really want to spend them alone and… for being honest I really liked you since I saw you walking towards me…” –he said being a little bit shy, you were impressed.

“This boy really likes me?” you thought, still in awe and looking at him with wide eyes, even if he was a stranger you couldn’t feel that he was a bad person, in fact you thought that he was the most honest person that you’ve ever meet in your whole life.

 

“Then what do you think?” –he asked embarrassed and blushing. You nodded and smiled.

 “So that means I should treat you to dinner?” –you asked smiling widely.

“Really, will you do that?” –he asked, his eyes sparkling.

“Yes, I am a really good cooker you see?” -you both laughed and went out of the coffe shop.

 

"So this Christmas Eve won’t be as bad as I expected" you thought walking happily.