It's Raining

Jongin the Half Cat, and His Owner (who forever hates rain) Kyungsoo

 

It is raining.

Despite him draping himself with his super thick blanket in front of the TV, Kyungsoo still finds himself shivering. The rain falls again and it feels way colder than usual. Not only that. Thanks to this certain pet who kept on budging him with stuff that he regarded as amusing he forgot to bring his umbrella when they went to the supermarket. Figures. Kyungsoo was soaked to his bone and didn’t have any energy left to even make a cup of hot tea.

“I can make you one.” Jongin offers. The older man quickly waves him off, saying that even if the whole things has been named with a label, the younger still can’t tell which is which. “Hey. That’s mean! I know now that sugar has this square shape while salt is not.” Really. That’s not the point. But Jongin insists on making him one so there he is, sipping his tea slowly and looking at the pet in amazement at how the tea is just fine. Just fine. Nothing tastes weird.

“I’ve been practicing since I can’t handle seeing you frown every time I talk about tea or coffee.” Jongin snuggles close to the still shivering Kyungsoo but doesn’t make an attempt to join him inside. It looks like it is stuffed enough and he really doesn’t want to mess with Kyungsoo’s mood when it’s raining. “I did my homework nicely, didn’t I?” Yes. Kyungsoo knows very well what that question means. The pet is asking for a reward. His smile is sweet and his tail is wagging. Kiss-.

“Okay. Great job. What do you want?” Kyungsoo is never the one who beat around the bush. He will jump straight to the main point to make his suffering ended quickly. The older sure loves to use his time wisely –according to the Do Kyungsoo himself.

Jongin, acknowledges that his effort is likely almost to be paid, squeals in delight and rests his arms around the older man. “You know what I want.” He grins like a Cheshire cat, but he is nothing like the ugly cat –except his cat ears and his tail of course. Actually, he looks better this way. Meek and tamed.

“What? The necklace?” Kyungsoo recalls ever being pulled by the pet and showed this silver necklace with a K letter as its pendant. “Its pendant is K letter though. Your name starts with J. unless you want to change your name into Kongin.” He clucked his tongue. “Or. Are you telling me that you want to change species into a monkey? Kong-In. That’s a pretty brilliant name.”

“No! I’m a proud cat and you know it.” Jongin exclaims as he rests his chin on the latter’s shoulder, lips jut out. “I know that my name doesn’t start with K. But your name does.” Jongin’s cat ears perk up as he realizes that his owner is actually giving his interest attention. It is such a rare occasion.

Kyungsoo raises his eyebrows. “What’s that have to do with my name? Are you thinking that I actually want to wear a necklace? Dream on.” When Jongin has this dreamy look on his face, the older gives him a noogy. “Don’t imagine it.”

“You actually will look weird and cute with the necklace. More to the cute side. But weird.” Jongin chuckles as he takes the glass from Kyungsoo’s weakening fingers, helping him to place it on the cold floor. The temperature has turned lower and it’s safe to say that it’s freaking freezing. The pet doesn’t have a problem with that though. Something about immunity and stuff that differentiate human with cat –a half cat. “But no. I will wear it as I know that I’m a part of you. Not the other way around. I’m made because of you. This is actually can be a good reminder for me that I should take care of you. That I can live thanks to you.”

The shivering man starts to tear up at this. What’s with him and rain anyway? Rain always makes him more sensitive than he usually is. “Jerk.” He mutters. “I swear. You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you. You don’t want that necklace. You just want to see me cry you heartless jerk. It’s freaking raining.” The last sentence is his way of blaming his weak heart. Tears roll down his cheeks anyway and Jongin eyes him in surprise. Don’t ask. Kyungsoo himself is startled as he feels his wet cheek with his cold hand. “Damn. Look at what you did.”

“There. There. I didn’t mean to make you cry, Kyungsoo. I’m just saying that I’m grateful.” Jongin wipes the older man’s tears with his thumbs. “Good lord. Rain does weird things to you. Is this because you’re drenched under the rain as well? You’re usually not this emotional.”

“I don’t fancy coldness and rain that’s why. They always remind me of bad things. I become emotionally unstable then. Just. Shut up, Jongin. Don’t talk to me when it’s raining. I’m going to bed.” Kyungsoo wipes his tears that manage to escape from his reddened eyes. He stands up while cutely struggles with taking his heavy blanket along with him. Jongin follows closely behind, not helping him at all. It’s not like Kyungsoo wants to be helped anyway. The last time he did that, the latter shouted profanities and told him to stay away from him or he’ll kill him.

Also, when people say if only glare could kill, they must have died then. But Jongin always feels he is dying inside whenever Kyungsoo throws him his nasty glare. What some people say about how the heart is bleeding when you have a broken heart and all, Jongin can’t help but agree with that. It does feel like it is bleeding. It would stop only if Kyungsoo is back being his true self which not very endearing as well but it brings such a big relief to the pet. He likes emotional Kyungsoo, because he is harmless and rather easier to approach –sometimes. But emotional Kyungsoo is not the real Kyungsoo. It’s just another additional side of Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo lies down on his bed. Again, trying cutely to make sure his blanket was covering all parts of his body except his head. Jongin places himself just beside him, arms circling around the other’s waist to keep him warmer. He remembers the first time he was here. The older man was a wreck after a fight with his imbecile mother. It was only a week after Jongin’s arrival and man it was not a good night at all.

“Get out,” was the very first words that Kyungsoo uttered after Jongin slid in to the cozy room that night. It was such a heartbreaking sight. Kyungsoo, his face was red. Tears were visible on his cheeks down his neck. He looked confused and upset, but had no idea what to do. His hands and body were shaking. His grip on the headboard of his bed was so tight. He looked so small before Jongin and all the pet wanted to do was doing his role, being by his side, comforting him like a pet supposedly do, but Kyungsoo pushed him away, telling him to go. He didn’t lock his door though.

Jongin recalls him ever being lectured about how to deal with the situation but weirdly, he didn’t remember any single thing, so all he did was following what Kyungsoo said and waited outside of his room. Only an hour later, after the half cat was sure his owner had calmed down, he went inside and found Kyungsoo was staring blankly at the ceiling while lying down on his bed, like a statue. “What part of ‘get out’ that you don’t understand?” Kyungsoo’s face hardened as he noticed the other’s presence, but didn’t make any move to even glance at the equally scared pet.

“I just want to do something for you.” Jongin was really clueless as what he was doing. But he knew he was going to a right direction because Kyungsoo hadn’t do anything since he got in so he kept going, until he reached his owner’s bed, and sat on it. Kyungsoo’s eyes were tightly closed. His chest moved up and down, not in rhythm, like he was trying to stop himself from crying again. Jongin held his hand and rubbed his thumb up and down in a comforting manner. Surprisingly, the latter didn’t push him away like he first did. Maybe he was tired after all screaming and crying over an hour ago. “I just want to know that you’re not alone. I’m here for you.”

“What do you know about me?” Kyungsoo said through his gritted teeth. Honestly, nothing. Jongin knew nothing about his owner. None of those old men up there even bother to fill hi up with trivial matter like what his real objective is and whatnot. He was merely sent there because Kyungsoo wished for him, or so what the theory said. “What do you know about me?” He repeated, more like demanded. The older man opened his eyes and instead of glare that Jongin had anticipated would be thrown right at him first, he gave him an expectant look.

This time, Jongin closed his eyes instead, feeling ashamed that he was a fail to his owner. “I know nothing about you. I’m sorry.” He opened his eyes again. Kyungsoo was looking at him with this deep gaze that made him feel like he was melting under it. He put his other hand on top of Kyungsoo’s hand and squeezed it. “But I want to try. I want to know about you. I want to find out who you really are.”

Kyungsoo sat up then and pulled his squeezed hand closer to his heart. His gaze was no longer intimidating. It was softer, and Jongin felt safe. He understood about this connection between a pet and his master for the first time. Even though he couldn’t explain it yet, but he could feel it. “You are really my pet, huh?” He asked, but his tone was more of stating. Jongin nodded. He felt a little bit nervous as he could feel the other’s slow heartbeat. It was barely there. And he suddenly felt alerted. “Hug me, then. Tell me sweet nothings. Make me feel better like a pet does.”

And Jongin did. He hugged Kyungsoo albeit a little bit awkwardly since it was his first time. He whispered about how his owner’s good side and coaxed him with things that he learned from Sehun, his fellow from where he came from, a strangely professional half dog seeing how the other was as lacking as he was but managed to hit on those points in the lecture somehow. Kyungsoo let out a giggle –though small and hesitant- at the end of the day which signed that he was all better thanks to Jongin. That was probably the most unforgettable day that he’s ever through with his owner. Oh. It was raining as well that day.

Like this day. There was also this day where Kyungsoo once asked when they were cuddling on the couch while watching this movie that had winter as their background weather. “Do you know why I hate rain so much?” It was unrelated to the movie. But that’s okay. Jongin was never one who thought deeply about relation and all. If it was Kyungsoo, everything is right.

“No.” Jongin had answered. “In fact, I didn’t know you hate it until today. I thought you merely became more emotional than usual when it happens, not hate it.” Kyungsoo strangely had this tight grip on the other as he rested his chin the half cat’s head. He fondled his cat ears, something that he found interesting and liked to do right after they met. As a half cat, Jongin liked the feeling of being caressed like that so it’s kinda a win-win situation.

“You’ve seen my mother.” Kyungsoo stated, and Jongin in the end knew what made the older suddenly acted jittery. The rain hating was probably linked strongly with his family –his mother. “I believed everything has its reason. I believed my mother has her reason. But not anymore.” Actually, Kyungsoo told this story more than once. And more than once too Jongin listened to it without missing any words, any expressions that Kyungsoo displayed toward him was always the same. Remorseful.

Kyungsoo never really hated his mother, but the condition made him do the otherwise. At first, his mother dumped his father, asking a divorce all of sudden and shoving him away under his father’s responsibility. It happened at Kyungsoo’s thirteenth birthday, in his favorite restaurant. It was raining.

At one occasion, when Kyungsoo just went home late after a student council meeting in junior high school, he forgot to bring his umbrella. It was starting to get darker and he had no choice but to run through the rain. Then, in front of his and his father’s house, he saw his mother was pointing a gun on his father’s head, sprouting things about lack of money and all. Kyungsoo jumped to the scene and his mother accidentally pulled the trigger out of surprise. Or not. Because he saw her grinning like a mad woman, and ran away after throwing the gun to her son’s face.

The blood flowed from his forehead down along with the heavy rain and he saw his father’s eyes rolled back, he distinctly remembered. The only thing that carved clearly on his mind was a cry of anguish, a weak voice of no you can’t do this to me, and failed attempt at dialing ambulance with his trembling hand. He remembered this judging eyes that belonged to the police and a weird laugh with I know you’re not the one who did that kid after his mother was captured thanks to the witness that accidentally passed by who decided to testify at the last minute. It was disgusting. It was raining.

And this one time when he found himself gaping at his mother standing before his flat, probably escaped from the jail because he was sure she’s supposed to be there for a longer time. It was raining, and his mother looked like she finally came to her sense and begged for an apology to him when he just graduated from senior high school. It was weird. Kyungsoo was supposed to despise her, abhor him, but he didn’t. A thought of hating her didn’t even cross his mind. He used to believe that she had a reason. She was a good mother before the divorce happened. But not anymore.

His patience ran out as the last encounter with his mother didn’t go well at all, the day where Jongin had existed for him. The day Jongin came for the first time when Kyungsoo looked like he was ready to kill whoever dared to even steal a glance at him. It was not raining. He didn’t cry. But still, he started to change his mind about his mother. It was rational. It made sense not to believe her no more. She was just insane –that’s all he thought about her mother until now.

“She tried to kill me like she did to my father. She said I was never supposed to be born. She said that she doesn’t want me. She never did. She said that I ruined her life. She said that all men are the same. She said I’m a disgrace. She said that... She said that-“ Jongin shushed him as he, again, wiped the older man’s tears with his sleeve while pulling him to his embrace, telling him you know it’s not true and stuff, which not really successful to calm the sensitive man down that mumbled no one ever cares Jongin no one, but did fairly good to his bleeding heart.

Kyungsoo is a man with a lot of scars. Despite his innocent look that he pulls off greatly, he has the opposite personality that sometimes scares his friends, mostly because of his hurtful past, but Do Kyungsoo is a different man after he met Jongin, after he met his own conclusion about his life about his mother. He decided to throw it all out of window and started anew with his newly found pet, a half man half cat that knocked on his door after he came to his sense, in a new apartment that he bought with his savings. A good change in his life.

Lying on the bed with Kyungsoo so close like this, with no sign of him pushing the younger away like he used to when his scars were still raw, it feels so nice and warm. “So? Are you buying me the necklace? I really want that.” Jongin pokes the latter’s cheek which soon stopped by Kyungsoo’s cold hand. Jongin flinches. “Wow. You’re freezing. You weren’t joking when you say it’s so cold.” He states after looking at how thick the blanket was.

“Of course I wasn’t. Anyway, the blanket did nothing.” Kyungsoo sulks as he releases Jongin’s finger. “Hug me tighter. You’re way warmer than this stupid blanket.”

Jongin gladly strengthens his grab on Kyungsoo but not too tight to the point of suffocating the smaller man, although his loony side kind of wanted to see Kyungsoo suffer just a bit. He is just curious okay. “Better?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “No.” He takes a deep breath before heaving a long sigh. “Sing for me.” At Jongin’s widening eyes, Kyungsoo glares at him. It’s another way to say just do it or else. If he doesn’t do what Kyungsoo desires, he will throw a tantrum –Kyungsoo combined with his tantrum is definitely not a good choice. Not now, not ever.

“You’re so spoiled. Do you know that?” Jongin exclaims, but he agrees anyway. “What song do you want to hear?”

“Anything.” Kyungsoo looks at him expectantly with his wide, innocent eyes that Jongin rarely sees. Oh how Jongin feels like melting under that gaze. He looks so adorable like this he wants to pinch his cheek. And he does. The human scowls, his innocent eyes gone. Aww. Good job, Jongin. “Ouch. What was that for?”

Jongin bites his lower lip, trying to look for a word that seemed to fit in this situation. He can’t think of anything. “For being adorable?” He sees the smack coming, but his smack is never hurt anyway so that’s fine.

“Don’t mess with me.” The blanket is lowered and he can see Kyungsoo half glaring half smiling at him after only seeing Kyungsoo’s face since the owner decides that blanket was warmer than he is, which he finds oh so wrong. It is so cute he so wants to kiss him. And as what he always does, he does. He pecks the human’s lips with his, earning an unmanly yelp from the other. “What the hell, dude?”

Feeling panic as he doesn’t have any consent to kiss his owner as he pleases, he gasps loudly. “I’m sorry! I wasn’t thinking. I thought you were so cute and the next things I know, I kissed you. Oh my god I’m so sorry. I’m so stupid and I don’t know-“ Jongin feels the other pecks his lips and he stops rambling. He isn’t imagining things, is he? “Was... that... What was-“

Kyungsoo chuckles as pecks the other’s lips again playfully. “I was messing with you, okay? You’re a pet. My pet. You can do whatever you want to please me. FYI, if you don’t know, my mood is kinda lifted now. My body feels warmer. I think that’s better than a mere hug.”

Jongin can feel his cheeks heated up, ears perk up, tail waggles at the boldness, but then again, it is Kyungsoo. He is always bold and straight, right to the point. And Jongin likes it. He loves everything about his master.

“You don’t seem to be the singing type, so consider this as me sparing you. Sing me not and kiss me hotly. I’ll think about buying you the necklace then.” Damn bold. Jongin always wonders how Kyungsoo tastes like and when he dips his tongue to the older man’s warm cavern, he sighs in content. Kyungsoo tastes like... Kyungsoo. And Jongin loves it. Not only because he is his master, but also because he is Kyungsoo. His Kyungsoo.

It is still raining outside. And for the first time, thanks to this certain pet named Jongin, Do Kyungsoo is in glee.

[][][]

A/N: The pet thing is based on a same concept with my SeoKyu fic -> You, Stupid Cat and yes I’m a lazy writer. I may or may not explain things clearly I hope everything is not so confusing. If you really don’t get something in this fic and you’re as lazy as me (>_<), you may ask questions. I’ll gladly answer it~ ^^ And yes. This is somehow unbeta-ed >_<