A Medical Anomaly

Primarily Male

Lee Jaejin stared at his reflection in the mirror, his head cocked to the side as he squinted and examined himself, the fingers of one hand buried under the swept, black locks of his hair. His dark eyes wandered down to his abdomen before abruptly stopping as he bit his lip, contorting his mouth into an unpleased grimace. Underneath the uplifted white fabric of his t-shirt, a slight bulge could be seen protruding through the pale skin of his stomach, a place once occupied by smooth, lean muscle.

The young man muttered a string of curses and averted his gaze, trying to avoid the unwelcome sight. He squeezed his eyes shut, crinkling the corners of his eyes into an expression of anguish. Damn, damn, damn, damn, , , damn. "Disgusting," he spat angrily to himself, dropping his head in dismay. He had been trying to lose the inexplicable excess weight for weeks, but despite his efforts, his stomach just grew larger and rounder, little by little.

Grasping his temples with his thumb and forefinger, Jaejin forced himself to relax, dropping his scowl and upturned shirt.

With a weary sigh, he declared, "Wow, I'm fat."


A chunky mixture of green and brown sprayed against white porcelain, muddling the water with dense swirls.

Jaejin knelt in front of the toilet, hands planted on opposite ends of the floor beside it, head dipped down above the bowl. Coughing, his throat filled with a spluttering gargle of vomit.

"Oh my g--aaaaughlglgh...!" Another stream of liquid escaped from his mouth, and the splash of vomit against the sullied toilet water echoed throughout the bathroom.

Jaejin scrunched his nose at the rancid odor of the vapors arising from below him. Sweat dripped from his hairline, moistening the strands of hair so that they bonded with the oils of his face, sticking slickly across his forehead. He could feel his eyes tightening, watering, growing bloodshot from the constrictions in his throat as more and more liquid forced itself upward, spewing out of him. In the brief intervals of halt, his breaths were sharp, almost gasping.

Then finally, finally, the vomiting stopped.

"What the hell," Jaejin murmured wearily to himself, using the back of his hand to wipe away the trail of vomit at the corner of his mouth. He stood up from his kneeling position and flushed the toilet, before heading to the sink to rinse away the foul taste in his mouth.

He emerged from the bathroom with a subtle pallor that did not go unnoticed by the dark-haired man leaning against the wall by the bathroom door, with his sharp eyes that rested above pronounced lower eye lids.

"You okay?" Song Seunghyun asked with concern. "You sounded like you were dying in there."

"I don't know," replied Jaejin. "I just woke up this morning and started throwing up non-stop."

"Maybe you caught the flu or something. You know there's that stomach virus going around," Seunghyun said. "Or maybe you ate something weird."

"...Hongki made me eat some weird chocolate noodles he made, yesterday..."

Seunghyun gave a soft chuckle. "Maybe you should see a doctor. Hongki's little cooking experiments can be... dangerous."

"Yeah... Maybe I should."


After another day of explosive vomiting, Jaejin decided to take Seunghyun's advice. He immediately dialed the number of his doctor after he was finished with being bent over the toilet so that he could schedule an appointment for later that day.

To his disappointment, the doctor he usually consulted was not available, so he had to settle for another one the hospital provided. Despite the repeated assurances that the alternative doctor was just as experienced, the new circumstances did nothing to lessen Jaejin's qualms.

When he arrived at the clinic, he was greeted by an older-looking man dressed in simple white hospital clothing, who began to lead him to a room for examination.

"I'm Lee Jaejin," Jaejin introduced politely while walking to there. "And you are... Doctor...?" He trailed off.

"Yes, I'm the doctor."

"No, I meant like... Doctor who? What's your name?"

The doctor opened a door, and the two slipped inside.

Closing the door, the man answered simply, "Just the doctor," leaving a confused Jaejin. But before he could interject, the doctor continued, "But never mind that. What seems to be your problem?"

The young man wordlessly lifted up his shirt, revealing the small bump residing on his abdomen.

The doctor quirked a bushy gray eyebrow. "If you're trying to fulfill some sort of ual doctor fantasy, you'll have to go to someone else. I'm afraid I'm not interested."

"What!? No!" Jaejin exclaimed, horrified. "I'm talking about this!" He poked his skin, burying his index finger under a small fold of fat.

"I'm sorry; I'm still not sure what you're talking about."

"I'm getting fat!"

The doctor took a glance at Jaejin's distraught face, and then at the slight curve of his stomach. "I think you might be overreacting."

"I'm not. I started gaining weight, and I don't know why. Then, I tried getting rid of it with exercise and dieting, and nothing's working," Jaejin explained, at a quick, rambling pace. "I think there's something wrong with me. I've been throwing up a lot lately, too; I think I have the flu or, or, or... food poisoning or something. ...But that's not important-- I'm gaining weight."

"Hm, well, we're going to have to figure out the cause for your vomiting. As for your weight... Well, I'm sure there's nothing to be worried about. A little unexpected weight gain is usually harmless."

"But I need to get rid of it," Jaejin said, desperation creeping into his voice. "I can't... I can't get fat. My career could be at stake!"

"You're overreacting. That... Shinkey... Shin... hong... Shindong guy seems to be doing well. Relax."

Jaejin realized his current frantic state and heeded the doctor's command. He leaned back, untensing his shoulders. His voice transitioned into a gentler, calmer tone. "Well, I'm not Shindong. Besides, he lost all his weight. I just want to know what's wrong with me."

"Let's run a few diagnostic tests, then, shall we?"


"Well... This is... unexpected."

The doctor stood in front of Jaejin, his face hidden as he held up and examined a thin stack of photos.

"What?" Jaejin asked, concerned.

"Well, Mr. Lee," the doctor said. "It appears you are pregnant."

At this, Jaejin tittered, breathing out a short, husky chuckle. He was quickly cut off by the doctor's response.

"I'm actually completely serious," the doctor said in a deadpan voice, though he wore a vaguely amused expression that betrayed his attempt at professionalism. "The reason your stomach has been growing at such an unnatural pace is because you have a baby inside you."

Jaejin's smile still remained plastered on his face, but it had shrunken, worry clouding his eyes. ", there's something seriously wrong with me, isn't there?" the young man said, with an expression of false nonchalance. His voice seemed to croak, though, loosening his emotional mask. "It's alright, doctor," he assured. "You can just tell me. You don't have to cheer me up first."

"I'm not joking," the doctor replied, suppressing a laugh at the young Korean star's melodrama. "Here, look," he said, gesturing toward the picture in his hand. "There's your baby." He swapped the sonogram for another picture. "And these," he said. "Are your ovaries." The doctor looked up at Jaejin. "You apparently have both male and female reproductive systems."

Jaejin's jaw slackened. His mouth made motions as if he was going to speak but was deciding not to, at a loss for words. Finally, he said slowly, "So... What you're saying is... I'm... both a girl and a guy... and pregnant. I'm a... pregnant man-woman."

"Well, I assume you identify as male. And biologically, you're primarily male, of course, based on your external organs," the doctor replied. "So, I would say that you aren't any less male than any other man."

"But I'm pregnant. And I have girl parts."

"Well, yes, that's true. But just think of it as... being more in touch with your feminine side," the doctor suggested. "Though, judging by your profession, I'd say you've never had any problem with that."

Jaejin ignored the doctor's snide remark, choosing instead to focus on the matter at hand. "But how the hell does this even work?"

The doctor shrugged. "I won't pretend to know the mechanics of your situation. Frankly, I never actually thought something like this was possible. You're a medical anomaly, you know."

"Yeah, what a ing miracle," the aforementioned medical anomaly muttered.

"I mean, it's not unheard of..." the doctor continued. "There've been rumors and theories about such things, but they're usually dismissed... But I guess this proves hermaphroditic male pregnancy is possible." The doctor stopped talking once he noticed the darkened, unimpressed look on his patient's face.

"But anyways, I suggest that you go to an obstetrician," he quickly finished. "I know a good one. I'll give you his contact information."

The doctor walked over to his desk, looking for the information he needed. As he clicked on his computer, he asked, cautiously, "So... Do you have any idea what you're going to do?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Do you plan on... carrying the baby? Or... fetus, if you prefer."

"Oh. Oh," Jaejin repeated, realizing the doctor's implications. "I'm keeping it," he said with certainty, before furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. "But, uh... how am I supposed to give birth to it in the first place?"

"Cesarean section, I presume." The doctor tapped a few keys on the keyboard. "And what about adoption? Will you be raising the child?"

"I'm... I'm not sure," Jaejin replied, the pitch of his voice wavering with uncertainty.

"Ah, well it's alright. You have plenty of time to figure it out." The doctor paused. "Do you know who the, ah, other father is?"

Jaejin hesitated, contemplating his answer. Should he act confused? Deny his uality? Be offended by the doctor's indirect accusation of promiscuity?

After a moment, Jaejin answered.

"Yes," he stated, emotions numbed to a flat tone. "I know exactly who he is."


A/N: Writing is hard. Story is boring. Medical crap is inaccurate. Doctor Who reference because why not.