Chance

Requiescat In Pace

 

It is a little bit after noon when Junho arrives at the bungalow. Junho presses the door bell. He clears his throat, ready to meet with Aeri’s scowling glare. His expectation is proven a myth when the door opens to reveal Jiyoung’s wide smile. She welcomes him into her embrace, though Junho turns extra cautious whenever he makes physical contact with her. She is too thin he is afraid that he might break her.

 

Junho briefly steps inside to greet Aeri and their parents before he takes Jiyoung away on a car ride. She has been smiling all the time while looking out the passing scenery outside. She looks happy, and healthy.

 

“Where are we going?” She asks.

 

“There’s a small festival in a village uphill, right around the corner. I thought you might like to see it.”

 

Jiyoung nods. “Sounds fun.”

 

-

 

Jiyoung seems a bit intimidated to see the place crowded with people. She has been staying home all the time, it’s normal that she reacts that way. Junho is quick to make her feel comfortable again by placing his palm on her small back and never leaves her side. Those gestures give her a sense of protection. In no time she gradually loosens up and starts to enjoy all that the festival has to offer.

 

The two of them enjoys a lot of the home made snacks offered in various stalls all over the festival. The festival is held along a small road nearby an elementary school ground and the areas nearby. There are people selling children toys, women accessories, and lots and lots of local delicacies. At the end of the road, in the middle of the school square, there is a small stage where elders play folk songs with traditional instruments. They sat on one of the benches that are arranged neatly in the open area, talking while enjoying the performance. Jiyoung seems content and comfortable in his presence. They continue to chat in soft murmurs.

 

“It’s not so bad isn’t it? Going out once in a while,” Junho suggests. Jiyoung lets out a subtle sigh. She is still smiling, but the murky shades in her eyes return when they slow down. She was lively and carefree a minute ago when they were having fun, but she seems to slowly retreat in her shell again by now.

 

“I don’t know. If you aren’t here, I’m not sure if I could survive being in the open with so many people around. I’m sure you already know this. It’s different when you have that label of ex-mental patient on you, even if nobody knows. Just walking outside feels like I’m walking . I’m that insecure.”

 

It’s the first time Jiyoung opens up about herself. In their previous meetings, all they talk about were her piano class, or Junho’s trip in Japan. Casual things like that. When she chooses to talk about herself, about that one blank spot inside her that she can’t find anything to fill with, Junho feels as if he has grown much closer towards her; which is his main goal since day one.

 

Junho reaches for her fingers and squeezes them in his large, warm hand.

 

“I’ll hold onto you like this. Until you can feel secure all on your own, I’ll hold your hands.”

 

“It’s not that simple, Junho. The doctor might claim that I’m ninety-nine percent healthy right now, but that one percent left... It can happen to me anytime. One day, things might just snap, and I’m back to zero,” Jiyoung looks down and stares at the ground. She pulls her hand away from Junho’s grip, but he reaches for it again.

 

“You won’t. I won’t let that happen.”

 

He stares intensely at her, in which she returns with a look of uncertainty. The sun has set by now. The sky immediately grows darker but the music from the stage grows louder. A woman who seems to be in her thirties, dressed in colorful traditional garbs, stretches both her hands towards the young couple. She reaches each Junho’s and Jiyoung’s hand and pulls them towards a spacious clearance in front of the stage. Other dancers who dress similarly to the previous lady also go around and pull children and young people to the clearance. They all begin to dance together along the upbeat beatings of drums and gongs.

 

Jiyoung seems shy and unsure at first but Junho makes sure to never let go of her hand. He bounces lightly, encouraging her with his eyes to follow his movement. Jiyoung tries for a while but gives up later. Other than the dancers, other people who join the dance are mostly children with a few teenagers. The bright, mischievous kids are quick to tease Junho and Jiyoung who are the only adult couple who join them. The dancers and the kids keep pushing them closer.

 

“Oh, dear!” Jiyoung trips on her step and bumps into Junho. Junho immediately wraps his arm around her frail looking frame and smiles at her with a glint of mischief in his eyes.

 

“Careful,” he says.

 

Jiyoung pouts kiddingly and pushes him away, albeit weakly so. The playful children are thrilled to see their little interaction and thus push them towards each other again. Jiyoung bumps into Junho’s wide chest again. She frees herself from him, looking more bashful than before. Her cheeks turn a darker shade of red.

 

“I don’t think I can do this anymore,” Jiyoung whispers to Junho with a shy smile. She shakes her head at him and retreats from the dancing floor with a dismissive laugh and quick steps. Junho chuckles and stands still in the middle of the many dancing people. He just watches as she walks away from the dance floor. She briefly turns around to smile at him; that sweet smile which sends his heart thumping against his chest. Before long, he finds himself running after her. He takes her hand and turns her towards him. They are standing a little away from the dance floor, under a shady, big old tree which is decorated with Christmas lights all over.

 

“Even if you’re running away, you should take me too,” Junho says. Jiyoung freezes, a little surprised at his sudden statement. Is he continuing their previous conversation where they left off?

 

“I’m not going to let anything happen to you, so you can relax. Just lean on me,” he adds. The expression in his eyes is tender while his words touch her to the core. Jiyoung searches deeper in his eyes, but she couldn’t find anything that prove his words otherwise. He is genuine and he is here. Just within her reach.

 

Their eyes lock. Their fingers intertwined with each other. The music in the background is still loud and the people are all laughing and noisy, but their ears have grown deaf to them. In this moment, they only see and hear each other.

 

Junho slowly leans closer towards her, until he finally presses his lips gently on hers. Jiyoung finally softens her rigidness. She closes her eyes and let her lips molded to his shape. 

 

-