Prologue

Finding Sweets in Bitter Places

 

A/N: So here I am, finally updating :/ I'm actually fairly happy with how this turned out, which is something I have a hard time saying about my writing. I think the only think I'm not happy with is the correlation between the title and my username, haha, I sware the whole use of both bitter and sweet was an accident; I guess I'm just a little obsessed with it... But you know, whatever. Haha, this chapter is all the background and set-up for the story. It's not too long, but I hope you like it regaurdless :)


 

            Since the first time I met Minho, I knew we would be good friends. He moved to town about a month into the school year; and although he was a year older, he was still in my grade, grade 11. I didn’t question it; I knew better than to go snooping around in peoples’ lives. That’s something we have in common: we both get it. Unlike most people at our school, Minho and I live outside the suburbs. We’re city kids, but not the “civilized” kind. Others say we live on the hipster side of town, but we all know that’s the nice way of putting it.

            Anyway, Minho and I quickly became friends, simply because we were different than everyone else. We only ever hung out at school, but breaks and lunchtimes were all we needed to grow close. Minho talked a lot, and I listened. He told me about his life, and how he grew up going back and forth between his mom’s house and his dad's house, only staying until one of them screwed up more than the other. It was hard for him to deal with as a kid, hence the reason he was held back a year in school, but he’d gotten used to it over the years. Most recently, he moved in with his aunt; he needed a break from his incapable parents.

            I love listening to Minho’s stories. When he speaks, he has a maturity that I’ve never seen; it’s like nothing bothers him. That seems to be the only difference between us. He, even after all he has been through, is cool and confident, and has an aura of good spirit. Whereas I am shy, quiet, and keep to myself. Everyone likes him, and no on pays attention to me, save Minho of course. No matter how many people invited him to lunch, or to sit next to them in class, he always declines.

            “I’d rather spend my time with you,” he told me. And later he admitted, “I feel like I can trust you. That’s not always easy for me because all the times I’ve had to leave people or they’ve left me.” I feel special when he says things like that. In a similar way, Minho is special to me. But I don’t exactly know what that means. I mean, I’ve never felt this way about someone before. But I also haven’t had any close friendships either. Do friendships usually blur the lines between friends and lovers? I don’t know. But it made me blush when he said, “it’s a date,” after we made plans to hang out tomorrow. Did he mean it, like a date? What if he does? That means he likes me, right? Because maybe I like him too… he’s perfect. But perfect as a friend, or more than that, I’m just not sure. But what I do know is that tomorrow I get to be with him. That means tomorrow will be a good day.


A/N: Let me know you stopped by, please comment :)