I want to spend every sunset with you

I want to spend every sunset with you

Hyukjae stared out at the sea. His thoughts were all in a blunder. He could do no more heavy thinking and his knees gave way. He plonked down onto the soft sand, landing on his knees. Soon he could see nothing but the brightness of the setting sun, for his eyes were clouded with a water wall. Below it, the glistening sea was beckoning. His mind flashed back to the day they had met, and all that had happened since then. Was their relationship dying, like the glorious and bright, but ever-setting sun?

 

--------1 year ago--------

Hyukjae looked at the blue waters and breathed in deeply, inhaling the scent of sea salt as the wind brushed across his face. He’d always wanted to feel what it was like to just float around in that soft bed of foamy waves. And this time, he really had a good reason to know, as he was writing a scene for his new book, which involved the main character swimming as part of relaxation. How could he convey the right feelings and mood to readers if he didn’t know what if felt like? And what better way than to experience it first-hand, right? And so he dove in.

A distance away, Sungmin had just set up his little tent. He loved coming to the beach; it helped take his mind away from the stress at work. He sat down in it and looked out to the sea he was so familiar with. He had just begun to think about what he should do for the rest of the day, for it was just past dawn, when something caught his eye. He squinted in the semi-darkness, but was sure that he could not be mistaken for what it was. He knew it when he saw it. It was a drowning man.

Without fear or hesitation, he ran to the edge of the waters and jumped right in. He looked all round for the man but he was gone. He was probably close to losing consciousness. Sungmin took a deep breath and dove underwater, and true enough, the man was there. His eyes were closed and his arms limp, as if he was just letting the water carry him away. Had he already lost consciousness? Sungmin thought about a method he had seen on television to save drowning people. He personally had never tried it before, but it was worth a try.

He grabbed the man’s shoulders and brought him close, and without thinking further he brought his lips to his own. Sungmin breathed out whatever air he had left in him, and it seemed like that small puff was enough. The man jerked to life and flailed his arms about, hitting Sungmin’s face in the process. Sungmin was pushed down but luckily he was a strong swimmer (or he never would have dared coming to save this man), and soon joined the other above the water.

Without talking, Sungmin swam and pulled the man along, to the safety of shore. Spluttering and coughing, he looked a sorry sight.

“T...t...thank you...achoo!”

Sungmin said, “Wait here,” and ran to his tent, grabbing two towels. He wrapped one around the other man’s bare body before wrapping the other around himself. He briefly rubbed the man’s arms with the towel to generate some friction and heat before asking, “Can you walk?”

The other man nodded and they slowly made their way to Sungmin’s tent. It wasn’t big, as Sungmin often came here by himself, but it was a snug fit for two.

“Are you dry now? Here, put on this shirt.” Sungmin threw a shirt to the man, who caught it with some surprise.

“W...what about you? You’re dripping wet too.”

“Yeah, but I’m not the one who’s sneezing and who almost drowned,” Sungmin said with a laugh.

Hyukjae gratefully accepted the shirt. He ruffled his hair more to dry it faster. Already he felt ashamed that Sungmin had to come out to the open sea and saved him; he didn’t want to wet his tent further.

“Hey! Aren’t you that author, Eunhyuk?”

Again, a wave of guilt washed over Hyukjae, that he didn’t even have the courtesy to ask for his benefactor’s name before his benefactor recognised him.

“Yes, I am. That’s my pen name, though. Please, call me Hyukjae. May I know your name too?”

“I’m Sungmin. Lee Sungmin.”

With that the two of them struck up a conversation.

“What happened to you back there anyway? Got a cramp?” Sungmin asked.

Hyukjae looked worried. “Actually...the truth is...I wanted to get some inspiration for my new book and so I wanted to go into the sea but...” he stopped short and took a deep breath. “The truth is,” he whispered, “I can’t swim.”

Sungmin clasped his hands to his mouth. “You can’t swim and you went into the open sea? That’s really dangerous! It’s dangerous even going into a swimming pool, but the sea? You could have gotten yourself killed!”

“Yeah, I know. It was foolish of me. But thanks to you, I didn’t.” Hyukjae gave Sungmin a grateful smile and somehow with the cozy little space they were in, Sungmin felt a little hot. Then he remembered how he had saved Hyukjae.

“By the way...”

“By the way...”

They both paused, not knowing who should go first.

“What happened back there...”

“What happened back there...”

They could only stare at each other in amazement at their telepathy and perfect timing.

Sungmin decided to break the silence. “I tried doing a mouth-to-mouth resuscitation with you, I hope you don’t mind.”

There was a brief pause before Hyukjae looked up and looked right into Sungmin’s eyes. “I don’t,” he said firmly. “In fact, I was wondering...”

Sungmin waited in anticipation. He didn’t know why, but his heartbeat was rising in a steady climb.

“Could you teach me how to swim, as well as teach me that technique? I still really want to feel what it’s like to be in the water, and I think that technique’s rather useful. It might save a life, just like how it saved mine today. I...I’d pay you, of course.”

Sungmin was relieved, and his heart leapt for joy. This man, though a little silly to want to go into the sea without knowing how to swim, seemed nice enough, and he wanted to become friends with him and spend more time together. He wouldn’t accept his payment, though. It was enough being friends.

 

--------3 months later/9 months ago from present--------

Hyukjae had been meeting Sungmin to learn swimming (at the swimming pool, of course), but that weekend Sungmin said he had some additional work to do in the office.

Hyukjae sat in his house sulking. He sure missed Sungmin. There was not a day where he didn’t think about his big round eyes, his giggly laugh, and his sweet jokes. He was a gentle and patient instructor, and Hyukjae was actually quite the expert swimmer now. The phone rang, interrupting his thoughts.

“Hyukjae ah! My boss said that the Japanese client meeting I was supposed to be preparing for got cancelled! Whew! And I thought I’d be staying up the whole night to revise my Japanese! Do you still want to meet?”

Hyukjae’s heart skipped a beat. He could see his Sungmin after all! ”Of course!”

Sungmin laughed. “Hyukjae ah, why not we go somewhere different today?”

“Like where?”

“Since you’re quite good now, I was thinking maybe we could move on to the sea. What about going back to the beach where we first met?”

“Wow, that’s a great idea! Ok, I’ll see you there!” Hyukjae excitedly got ready.

It was hot at the beach, as they both got there around noon. They decided to wait a while before starting, but they ended up falling asleep in Sungmin’s tent. By the time they got up it was around 5.

“Omo, it’s so late already. Do you still want to swim?” Sungmin yawned.

“Of course! Or...”

“Or what?” Sungmin looked at Hyukjae. What else was there to do? Cycle? Fly a kite? Have a barbeque?

“You can teach me that technique.”

Sungmin frowned. What technique? As far as he remembered, he had taught Hyukjae all the swimming styles he knew, and didn’t recall mentioning any that he didn’t teach.

“You know...the mouth-to-mouth resuscitation in the water.”

Sungmin glanced at Hyukjae. Was he turning...red? Sungmin wasn’t too sure about his own face either, so he just quickly agreed.

“Ok, I’m now going to do a demonstration. So you’ll be the victim again.” Sungmin giggled as they treaded the water. “Just relax, and go into the water. I’ll take a deep breath and come for you.”

Hyukjae closed his eyes and let himself sink slightly. He trusted Sungmin; there was no one he trusted more. He waited for Sungmin to give him air.

Then it came. They were soft, Sungmin’s lips. He felt the air in him. He felt revived.

“Did you get it?” Sungmin asked above the water while wiping the water from his eyes. But then he looked around. Hyukjae was still underneath. His heart skipped a beat. Did it work? Was Hyukjae alright? He wanted to dive back in but Hyukjae appeared on the surface, and relief descended upon him. The truth was, Hyukjae was too dazed by their ‘kiss’ to come up for a while, and was still thinking about it, until the shortage of air forced him to come up again.

“Are you ok? Did it work?” Sungmin’s voice was full of concern.

“It worked. So...is it my turn to try?”

“Ok, I’ll go under.” Hyukjae saw Sungmin’s head disappear. He took a deep breath and went under the water. Without Sungmin, he probably wouldn’t be alive now. He needed to show Sungmin how grateful he was for that.

Sungmin felt Hyukjae’s bare chest against his, and then came his lips. He felt the air, and he expected Hyukjae to let go of his neck, but instead Hyukjae kept his hand around it, and continued moving his mouth, and Sungmin’s eyes widened when he realised they were caught up in a kiss, underwater. Their breaths soon caught up with them, however, and they both resurfaced.

“What was that?” Sungmin asked Hyukjae.

Hyukjae panicked. Sungmin didn’t like it? Damn! He shouldn’t have rushed into it so quick! What if Sungmin didn’t want to teach him anymore? What if he hated him for this? What if…he never wanted to see him again?

“I’m sorry, Sungmin. I shouldn’t have done that. I’m so sorry. I…” Eh? Why was Sungmin laughing?

“Silly, I didn’t say I didn’t like it.” Sungmin’s eyes were shining, as always. “I was just… a little shocked, I guess. Or you could say, pleasantly surprised. But anyway, shall we take it to land?” His eyes now had a mischievous glint.

They both swam to shore as quickly as possible, as if they didn’t want to waste any more time in the water. Drying themselves and changing out of their swimming costume *which is actually just one piece cough*, they settled down into the tent fast. They didn’t even bother putting on their shirts.

Now that they were warm and snug inside the cosy space that was theirs, Sungmin felt hot again. He always did, when it was just the two of them in a tight little space. All of a sudden, he felt that Hyukjae was a lot closer to him. “Shall we continue?” he said in a husky voice.

Sungmin’s heart started pumping hard again. This was too much excitement in one day. He smiled. “Ok, just don’t break the tent.”

Hyukjae smiled back before claiming Sungmin’s lips in a ravishing fashion. If the kiss just now was any gentle, this one certainly wasn’t. It was a good thing Sungmin had reminded him that they were in a tent, or he might have lost control and really have broken it. Sungmin responded back just as hungrily, and they continued on without a care in the world.

After two hours, they opened the tent flap for want of some fresh air.

“Look, Sungminnie, the sun is setting.” Hyukjae turned to Sungmin.

“I want to spend every sunset with you.” Sungmin moved forward slightly and held his hand.

 

--------4 months later/5 months ago from present--------

“Hyukjae, can I meet you at the beach? I have something important to tell you.”

That was all the warning he got over the phone, before the news fell upon him. They met regularly at the beach; it was an eventful place. It was where Sungmin had saved him, it was where he had kissed Sungmin, and now, Sungmin had something important to say.

“Hyukjae, I’m going to Japan. You know I’ve been studying Japanese right, and my manager said someone’s needed in the new Japan office, and he said there’s no one better than me for the job. I’ve been promoted. It’s quite near, so, I thought you wouldn’t mind. I’ll be coming back quite often, so we can still meet. I hope you’re ok with it.”

Sungmin looked apologetic, but all Hyukjae could see was the great distance between Japan and Korea. He had just gotten really accustomed to having Sungmin in his life, and he thought that nothing could ever tear them apart. But now it seemed Sungmin’s work did.

“Hyukjae ah, I’m sorry. But it’s really all for the best.” Sungmin pulled him in for a hug and let a tear fall behind Hyukjae’s face. Without looking, he then reached his hand up to wipe away Hyukjae’s own tears.

 

--------Present day--------

Hyukjae looked at the very sea that contained memories of his first meeting; his first kiss; as well as his first warning that Sungmin would be drifting away from him.

He threw his head back in hope of preventing his tears from falling more, but they overflowed too much and simply spilled out. Sungmin said that he would come back often, but he’d only come back once in five months. And even then, it was just for two days. The first was spent with his family, and the second in the office. Hyukjae simply got no time at all. Calls were expensive (let’s just assume that Skype hasn’t been invented xD), and besides Sungmin was busy with the new office most of the time. Hyukjae sometimes thought of going to Japan to maybe give him a surprise visit, but the tiredness in Sungmin’s voice over the phone reminded him that he probably had no time to entertain him.

Subconsciously touching his lips, he remembered Sungmin’s words after their first kiss. They echoed deep in his mind, down to the chambers of his heart. “I want to spend every sunset with you.” How he longed to hear that voice again. How he yearned to taste those lips. He knew long-distance relationships were hard, but he never imagined them to be this hard. ‘Sungminnie, where are you on this day’s sunset? You said you wanted to always be here with me, but you’re across the sea. Are you watching the sunset? Are you thinking about me?’ Hyukjae’s thoughts engulfed him, and the longer he stared at the sea, the more it beckoned to him.

He walked to the edge of the water and dipped his toe in. Boy, it was cold. Of course it was, the sun was setting. Ever since Sungmin had left, he hadn’t really gone swimming by himself either. He was still thinking all his troubled thoughts about their relationship as he swam out to the deep waters. Their relationship hadn’t gone wrong, it was just…uncertain. When Sungmin came back, if he ever did, would it be the same? Would they have any awkwardness between them? What if he found someone new in Japan? Maybe that was the reason he’d been busy. Hyukjae mentally slapped himself for doubting Sungmin, but that didn’t rule out the possibility, did it?

Hyukjae wanted to be free. Free from all the troubles that plagued his mind. Free from all the fears that had been festering in his heart. Free from the things that bogged him down on this earth… He let himself lie back and felt himself slowly sinking. Then all turned black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyukjae was dreaming. He dreamt that Sungmin had come back, and they had reunited at their beach. Sungmin had his arms around his neck, and Hyukjae wanted this moment to last forever. But the next moment got even better, as Sungmin was kissing him.

“Sungmin, you’re back. Do you know how much I’ve missed you?” That was what he wanted to say, but instead he felt salt in his throat, and a whole lot of water that didn’t taste good, at all.

He felt protective arms around him, familiar arms. Hyukjae opened his eyes. He was still in the water, but he never felt more alive. Wait, there was an arm around him. Was it an octopus or…he whipped around and the leg cramp that wasn’t there before now was, due to his sudden jerk. Then he realised it wasn’t a dream. It was Sungmin, Sungmin was back! It was Sungmin who had his arms around him, Sungmin who had kissed him, Sungmin who had saved his life…again.

“Minnie!” He wanted to throw his arms around Sungmin but a searing pain shot up his leg. “Ahh!”

“Hyukjae? Hyukjae, are you conscious now?”

“Leg…cramp…” Hyukjae struggled with his words.

“Omo!” Sungmin’s eyes were full of panic as he swam as fast as he could to shore, dragging Hyukjae along. Déjà vu much.

On shore, a group of paramedics had arrived, as well as reporters. It seemed like someone had recognised Hyukjae as the famous author and had called the media.

“Are you the author Eunhyuk?”

“Are you the one who just saved Eunhyuk?”

“What is your relationship?”

“Do you know each other?”

“Did you come here together?”

Questions and camera flashes bombarded the duo as they reached the shore.

“Everybody! You’ll have your answers later. For now, he has a cramp. So please, give us some space!” Sungmin shooed the nosy reporters away as he set Hyukjae down and started massaging his leg. The paramedics tried to help too, but Hyukjae liked it best when it was Sungmin massaging him.

After Hyukjae’s cramp had gone away and Sungmin had briefly answered some questions from the media, the reporters rushed back to their stations to include the latest headlines in the next day’s newspapers.

Rid of all the bustle that by now had become very bothersome, Hyukjae finally had Sungmin all to himself. All he wanted to do was kiss him senseless, he didn’t even want to know why he was here or how he knew he was at the beach.

“You have some good explaining to do to me, Lee Hyukjae. But first, let’s get you cleaned up,” Sungmin laughed as he pulled a piece of seaweed from Hyukjae’s hair. “I’ve got a villa rented. It’s just over there. I think it’ll be a good idea to order pizza too. You must be hungry, and I didn't have anything on my flight.” He helped Hyukjae to his feet and placed Hyukjae's arm around his shoulder as he led them to the villa.

“Can you manage?” Sungmin stood outside with one arm on the bathroom door as he watched Hyukjae go in. “I still don’t know what you were thinking out there, but I don’t think you’re in the fittest of states now, judging from your leg cramp and all.”

“Why, if I say I can’t, will you come in and help me?” It was true that Hyukjae wasn’t in the fittest of states physically, but his mind was still capable of thinking of all sorts of things. He saw Sungmin blush a deep red. “Oh, just come in already. It saves time for you to shower at the same time too anyway.” He pulled Sungmin in and before Sungmin could protest he locked the door behind them. (SJ talking about Hyukmin showering together :p)

With the hot water running down their faces and bodies, Sungmin let out a deep sigh. He had missed Hyukjae too, and the last thing he had wanted to see when he went to the beach the moment his plane had touched down was Hyukjae looking like he was trying to drown himself. He was glad that Hyukjae was safe now, with him.

“Sungminnie…”

Sungmin felt that all-too-familiar heat wash over him again. The hot water wasn’t helping.

Hyukjae could wait no longer. He poured out all the yearning he had pent up for Sungmin into his kiss, and Sungmin had just as much to offer. He felt Sungmin smile through the kiss, and very soon that cute giggle escaped him. “What?”

“I was just thinking, why do all our kisses have to involve water?”

Without leaving his gaze, Hyukjae reached his hand out to turn off the tap. “Now they don’t,” he whispered before descending upon Sungmin’s lips again.

After they were done showering, they snuggled in bed for awhile.

“Hyukjae ah…were you…thinking of drowning yourself?” Now that the fun was done, it was time for some serious talking.

Hyukjae bit his lip. There was some truth to that, but he wasn’t entirely thinking of dying. Or was he?

“Never mind. You don’t have to answer me if you don’t want to. But just know that a thousand promotions wouldn’t be any good for me when I can’t have you by my side.” Sungmin lifted Hyukjae’s face gently and looked into his eyes before continuing. “And that’s why I’m back, for good.”

Hyukjae’s eyes lit up at the last sentence. His Sungminnie was back for good? He wasn’t going to leave him again?

“Yes, Hyukjae. I’m here now, and I won’t leave you again.” Sungmin chuckled at Hyukjae’s stunned look.

*ddok ddok ddok* (Feel like listening to it now? Here! Some Hyukmin moments here xD)

“Oh, the pizza’s here.” Hyukjae uttered his first words since he had come out from the shower.

“Hyukjae, aren’t you happy?” Sungmin asked when he returned with the pizza.

“Of course I am!” He threw his arms around Sungmin and leaned his head against his chest.

“Then why…”

“I’m just too happy for words. And to think I almost…”

Sungmin felt his shirt getting wet. He Hyukjae’s hair as his other hand wiped the tears of his crybaby.

“If I had known that leaving once would make you think of leaving this world forever, I would have resigned right there and then.”

Hyukjae sprang up. “You resigned?!”

“Well, it was a choice between staying in Japan or not staying at all.” It was evil, but he enjoyed seeing Hyukjae on tenterhooks. Especially when the cause of concern was him. “But don’t worry, I’m that indispensable to the company. They said I can just work in Korea.”

“Wuri Sungminnie is that good, eh?”

“Of course. And I’m good at other things too.” Sungmin gave a sly smile before showing Hyukjae just how good he was at kissing.

They fed each other their pizzas, laughed and cried about old times, and talked through the night. There wasn’t any of the awkwardness Hyukjae had feared, in fact it seemed like the time apart had actually brought them closer as they missed each other more.

At dawn, the first gleam of light hit the pair, who were lying in bed. They had just begun to get sleepy, but Hyukjae grabbed Sungmin’s hand, bringing him out of his sleepy state and exclaimed, “Look! The sun is rising!”

Sungmin gazed at Hyukjae dreamily. “Do you still remember what I told you after our first kiss?”

Hyukjae blushed like a beetroot. “Yes, you said you wanted to spend every sunset with me,” he said in a whisper.

“Add sunrises to that.”

“Noo! I’ll be sleeping!” Hyukjae protested.

“You little piggy! I said spend every sunset, not watch every sunset! You don’t have to be awake!”

They laughed at the lameness of it all, but were glad to have each other back. They shared a sweet kiss before drifting off to dreamland, fingers still intertwined under the blanket.

 

(A/N: This doesn’t have much relevance to the story, but I just wanted to include it because of what Sungmin said during EHB, the main inspiration for this story! (7.42))

Little Epilogue:

The Korean Times

Author Eunhyuk gets saved from drowning by friend

Close friend Lee Sungmin saves the author Lee Hyukjae, more well known by his pen name Eunhyuk, from drowning in the sea. (...) Nothing else is known about their relationship except that they have known each other for ‘some time’. Said Lee Sungmin: “If Eunhyuk is in danger, then all I want to do is to save him.” <3

&

How Swimming can Change your Life

by Eunhyuk

Dedicated to Lee Sungmin, forever my best friend and more