Part III (Location #1)

Holiday Special Surprise

Your lips pulled into a smile, taking in the beautiful location. A cozy log cabin was tucked comfortably between thick clusters of trees, the lush evergreens hanging lazily over the inviting porch. 

"Wow!" you marveled, your eyes radiant with exhilaration. "This is definitely worth the long drive!" He chuckled, getting out to lift the suitcases from the trunk.

"Wait until you see the inside!" You opened the door to hop out of the car, your shoes sinking into the snow. Your boyfriend gestured to you from the porch, setting down the suitcases and backpacks. You stood up, nearly falling over in the loosely packed snow. He jogged over to you, laughter in his smile and eyes.

"Maybe I should have had you change when we stopped at your apartment." He lifted you up around the waist, holding you tightly. "But you do look beautiful." He carried you carefully over the snow, setting you down so you could walk up the stairs together. From out of his pocket he pulled a shiny brass key with a plastic blue tag that read "23". He shifted it in the lock, opening the door to reveal the spacious cabin.

Cabin

“What do you want to do first?” he asked. “We could make a fire in the fireplace? Or make dinner-”

“Dinner!” you cheered playfully.

“Or go in the hot tub…” Your eyes glittered at the mention of this luxury.

“Hot tub?!”

“So which is it?” he asked with a laugh. “Dinner, or hot tub?” You bit your lip, trying to choose between the two.

“Dinner first?” He nodded, turning around to pick up his backpack.

“I brought some food for us.” He pulled a package of pasta from the bag, setting it on the countertop. He had bread, a bag of sauce, champagne, and dessert all packed in the front pocket of his backpack. “I made a lot of it yesterday so we wouldn’t have to bring more stuff.” You offered him a thankful smile, taking a saucepan from the cupboard and bringing it to the sink for water.

“Wow! Cool!” you said. “Look, you pump the water to fill the sink!” He laughed, pointing to the regular faucet right next to it.

“You could just use that one!” You shrugged.

“This is more fun,” you noted, shifting to the side to let him try. He pumped the rest of the water into the pot.

“You’re right. This is more fun.” When he finished, your boyfriend motioned to the back door. “I’ll get the hot tub heating up for afterwards.” You sat at the kitchen island while waiting for the noodles to cook. It was gratifying to have a chance to talk to your boyfriend without any interruptions. Up in the mountains, your cellphones couldn’t find service and the internet connection was sluggish at best. It was peaceful, a chance to really enjoy each other’s company. When dinner finished boiling, your boyfriend heated up the loaf of bread in the oven. You opened the cupboards to find a clean set of porcelain plates, and brought them carefully over to the table. It was smooth and polished, with an antique texture like that of a tree.

As you set the table you grew quickly distracted by the window outside.

“Look!” you said, pointing a finger toward the ice-etched glass. A doe wandered outside, it’s soft ears speckled with flakes of snow. It looked toward the cabin with its huge black eyes before returning to the thicket of trees. Your boyfriend’s hand rested over your shoulder, the other around your waist. He bent over slightly and kissed your cheek.

“It’s great out here, isn’t it?” You smiled in agreement, still watching out the polished glass. Dinner was tranquil and relaxed, the table lit by tiny tea light candles. You clinked your glasses together in cheers before taking a sip, letting the sparkling drink wash over your taste buds. When you finished he helped carry the plates to the sink, drying his hands on a dishtowel.

“Hot tub now?” he asked. You grinned, grabbing the swimsuit he insisted you pack in your suitcase.

Tub

The freezing air bit harshly at your skin the moment you slid open the back door. He was shivering as well, his arms crossed tightly over his chest to keep warm. You placed your right hand tentatively under the water. It was the perfect temperature, sending a rush of heat through the veins in your hand. He helped you climb in before hoisting himself beneath the bubbling water.

“This is great,” he said. You smiled, splashing drops of warm water in his face.

“It’s amazing! Seriously, how did you even find out about this place?” He smiled, scooting closer to you at the tub’s edge.

“I just looked around for a cabin nearby. I know how much you love places like this and I thought it might be a nice way to spend our holiday.”

“It’s perfect.” You leaned close, placing a light kiss on his cold lips. He pulled you comfortably over his lap and you sat together in silence for a while, watching as clumps of snow fell from nearby tress and sizzled as it landed in the hot tub.

When you began to overheat you stood up, letting the chilling air cool you instantly. Feeling spontaneous and wild, you climbed from the tub.

“Watch this!” Your boyfriend laughed as you walked in your swimsuit to a patch of untouched snow. You fell back, squealing loudly as the cold compacted against every inch of your body. When you could stand it no longer you jumped up, running back to the bath of hot water.

“You’re going to give yourself temperature shock,” he scolded.

“Oh come on. Don’t pretend you aren’t itching to try it.” His face pulled into a slow smile, as he too stood up and ran to the clean slate of snow. He lay down next to the imprint you made, letting out a decidedly un-masculine yell as the cold pounded at his nerves. You laughed, watching him stand up and run back to the hot tub with little concern regarding the “temperature shock” he had lectured you about.

When the wildness died down, you turned off the hot tub and returned to your cabin. You dried off and changed into your favorite pajamas, one of his old shirts and a pair of loose fitting flannel shorts.

“You copied me!” he accused jokingly, as he returned from the bathroom in flannel pants that matched your shorts.

“No,” you argued. “I’m wearing shorts. And a shirt!” He grinned.

“We can fix that…” You laughed, darting away from his outstretched hands.

“Hold on mister.” He chased you around the coffee table. “You have to sing for me first.” He sighed, knowing that you found any opportunity to hear his voice. He reached for you, sitting on the couch and guiding your head to rest on his chest. He sang softly, his voice bringing a relaxed heaviness to your eyelids. You felt yourself growing tired, and he finished his song with his voice barely above a soothing whisper. Chuckling softly, he brushed his lips against your ear.

“You still awake?” You nodded, opening your eyes that you didn’t realize had closed. He lead you up the stairs, revealing the bedroom you had forgotten to take a look at when you had walked in.

Bedroom

You pulled back the heavy covers, patting one of the pillows next to you and urging him to join. He smiled, leaning over you with starry twinkles in his dark eyes. His hands supported his weight on either side of your head, and he leaned forward to bring his lips over yours.

*

You woke up, streaks of sunlight peeking through the blinds over the window. Rolling to your side, you touched a single finger to the cheek of your boyfriend sleeping next to you. He looked content, the ghost of a smile on his lips as his chest rose and fell with the slow rhythm of slumber. You poked his cheek lightly again and saw his eyes move beneath closed lids.

“I know you’re awake, you whispered, your face an inch from his. He flashed a bright grin, and his arms shot forward to pull you close to him.

“Merry Christmas,” he mumbled in a voice still heavy from a night of sleep. You forced him to sit up, slapping him lightly on his bare chest.

“You jerk! In the hurry to pack yesterday I completely forgot to bring your Christmas present! And it was a great one too.” Laughing, he rolled over onto his side and supported his head with his hand and elbow.

“That’s alright,” he chuckled. “I’m just glad you could come.” He sat up, stretching his arms above his head before standing up to pick up his boxers. You did the same, pulling his oversize T-shirt back over your head and wandering to the bathroom.

He decided to make breakfast, having gone so far as to bringing plastic bags of ingredients in one of the suitcases. You smiled, watching him make pancakes with organized precision, trying to pour every scoop of batter in a perfect circle.

You ate breakfast comfortably at the table, snow falling in a fresh blanket outside, a fantastic view in every window.

“I almost forgot,” he mentioned, standing up to go to his suitcase. “You need to open your present! It’s kind of cheesy but I hope you’ll still like it.” He walked back to the table, holding the wrapped gift in his hands.

 

What does it look like? Go to the specified chapter to finish your story.

Gift #1: For this gift, go to Chapter 8

Gift1

Gift #2: For this gift, go to Chapter 9

Gift1