Us

Let Me Be Your Eyes

July, 1963

It was raining heavily. Luna quickly ran towards the nearest shop. ‘Where is Luhan? Why he didn’t pick me up today like he always did? Haish. He is worrying me.’ Luna said to herself. She didn’t felt good about Luhan not turning out today. Rain stopped after a while. She dragged her legs towards her apartment lazily.

Luna unlocked her apartment, she was leaving together with Luhan. She was greeted with a brown small sized envelope addressed to her. Her heartbeats were beating crazily. She carefully tore the edge of the envelope and peeked inside. There was a letter. She slowly pulled the letter out from the envelope and started to read it. Her eyes were hot. Liquid came out from her eyes.

 

Dear Luna,

I think that we are not suitable for each other and I have found someone that truly meant for me. I’m moving out off the country with her. I’m sorry. Have a fun life ahead.

                                                                                                                                                                       Luhan.

 

‘B-but, why?! Why he did these to me?! We never had a SERIOUS fight before! He leaves me just like this? What is wrong with him?! No these things are not happening to me!!’ She cried and cried and cried again. She searched all over her apartment for Luhan’s clothes or stuff but there was none.

“Luhan!! I know you are somewhere! Come out! This is not funny! Come on Lue don’t make me like this. I hate your prank. I have had enough before and this one is the worst!! Luhan.....” She sat at the corner of her bedroom and cried until she fell asleep.

She woke up the next day and found herself curled on the floor in her bedroom. No sight of Luhan. She stood up and entered the bathroom. After she took her bath, Luna called her mom, Mrs. Goon.

“O-omma... I’m going home, a-alone...”

Luna cried again even while driving towards her mother’s house. She had packed everything in the house accept the furniture. She moved out of the apartment.

As soon as she arrived, she saw her mom waiting for her with her little sister in front of the door. Her mom knew that something was going on because Luna was stuttering. She ran towards her mother and hugged her. “Omma...” and she started to cry again.

 

5 years later...

July 1968

It was 5pm. Luna didn’t felt too well so she decided to go back home early that day. She arranged her table neatly and turned off the computer. “Have a safe trip home Luna!” shouted Mira, her best friend also her officemate. Luna just nodded and walked clumsily towards the exit and bumped to Mira’s boyfriend, Wufan. “ouch...” she winced.

“Luna? Are you alright? You don’t look really well. Do you want me to send you home? It’s dangerous if you drive when your condition is not too good.” Wufan said, caringly. He can’t take her eyes off Luna. Too bad Luna came into his life slightly late. Mira had stolen away his soft heart. “No, I’m fine. See you tomorrow.” Luna smiled. “Okay then, see you!” Wufan walked away.

If only Wufan knew that that ‘tomorrow’ never comes.

....................

It almost dawn but Luna still not home. Mrs. Goon was restless. She walked all around the living room worrying about Luna. “Omma! Can you please sit down?! Someone is trying to watch her favourite variety show here!” Lili groaned and lied on the sofa with her arm on her eyes. She had given up.

Mrs. Goon heard someone knocked the main door. She rushed to open the door just to find two police officers standing behind the door. “Mrs. Goon?” asked the middle aged officer. “Y-yes?” Mrs. Goon felt that she was going to pass out. “Goon Lu Na, she met with an accident right after she got out from the basement car park at her office.” said him again.

“....Accident....” was the only thing Mrs. Goon heard before she collapsed on her other daughter, Lili.

 

September 1968

Wufan stood in front of the ward that he always came since last two months with a bouquet of lilies in his left arm. Written on the door, ‘224 – Goon Lu Na’. He slowly pushed the door and found Mira smiled sweetly to him. “How is she?” Wufan whispered to Mira while putting the fresh lilies in a vase that Mira had put on the tiny desk.

“Hye! I’m fine ok? Stop treating me like a sick person!” Luna chuckled after she said that. Mira can’t help it but ran outside and cried. “What is wrong with her? I don’t get it.” Luna said after Mira closed her ward’s door. She chuckled again but not like before. This time, it was bitter.

Wufan eyed Luna from legs to hair. True, she was completely fine. She can walk normally, she can eat normally and she didn’t even have any broken bones. But she was here, in a private ward. Because she can’t leave the hospital until she found a donor for her left eye. Yes, she lost her left eye because of that tragic accident.

 

Flashback

Wufan was having dinner with Mira for their 3rd anniversary. He came to pick her at her office and bumped onto Luna. She looked very pale but she insisted to go back on her own. “What is on your mind Wufan?” Mira asked. Wufan just shook his head.

“Nothing in particular. Just some stuff. So, what is our next program? Where do you want to go, baby?” “Let’s go to wa...” suddenly her phone rang. “Hello? Goon Lu Na? Yes I know her, she is my best friend. Who are you? Luna what?!” her phone fell from her grasped.

....................

Wufan and Mira arrived together with the ambulance that had Luna in it. Mira ran towards the ambulance and saw Luna lying on a stroller unconscious with a triangular shaped glass pierced around an inch deep into her left eye. Gushing blood came out from her left eye with cuts everywhere around her body.

“No........ No... This is not happening to her... No way... LUNA NO!!!!!!!!!!” Mira moaned and screamed and even cried. Wufan back hugged her and turned her away from looking at Luna. “Wufan... Did you see Luna? That was not her right? She doesn’t arrived yet right?” she buried her head on Wufan’s broad chest. “shhh baby. She is Luna. Everything is going to be okay.” “B-but her left eye...” “shhh. She is fine.” Wufan wrapped his arms around Mira and hugged her tighter.

End of flashback

 

“Wufan, are you listening to me or you just simply nodded at what I said?” Luna asked Wufan. Wufan nodded. “WU YI FAN!!!! Erghhhh you are not listening to me! I am not going to repeat that again!!” Luna sulked. Wufan nodded again. Mira stepped inside the ward again with red eyes.

“Come on Mira. I’m fine.” Luna messed her hair. “Hye!! It took me 2 respective hours to make my hair!” Mira fixed her hair and laughed. “Luna...” “Yea?” “We are going to a holiday tomorrow.” “Wow really?! Awww sweet~! Have fun together! Hye Wufan, don’t do anything funny to her okay?”

“Anything funny? You mean, like this?” Wufan pulled Mira in his arms and kiss her neck and going to make the next move but stopped because Luna suddenly screamed, “OH MY GOD, NURSE!!! I THINK I AM GOING TO VOMIT! I AM DEADLY SICK OH MY GOD ERGHHHH GET A ROOM!”

“Yes!” Wufan and Mira shouted in unison. “She told us to get a room, baby! We will!” Wufan tucked out his tongue and laughed happily. They told Luna their plans with a broad on their faces. Smile of happiness. After that, they bid goodbye.

....................

“Hello everyone. I am Xi Lu Han. I graduated from University College of Cork and come back to my hometown to work at the main hospital here. I am now under your care and please take a good care of me!” Luhan bowed 90 degrees to the sisters, nurses, medical officers, registrars and specialists in front of him.

“This boy is so polite.” said a nurse around 45-55 years old to a nurse that was also around her age. “Welcome home, doctor Xi.” said a sister at the hospital.

....................

“Good morning Ms. Goon.” Greet a nurse. Luna smiled to her and nodded. Almost all the hospital staffs knew her because she had been in the hospital for two months and how tragic her accident was.

“Good morning Mrs. Tan!” exclaimed Luna after she saw the old lady that took care of her while she was in the ward. The lady turned her eyes away from the file that she was looking at. “Ohh, Ms. Goon! You are up early today!” The old lady chuckled. “Awhh don’t say that! I always up early!” Luna pouted.

“Mrs. Tan, your patient in room 173 needs you.” said a nurse to Mrs. Tan. “I need to go! See you later Ms. Goon!” she hurriedly walked away. “Okay. And next time we meet, you have to call me Luna!!” Luna shouted from her spot. Mrs. Tan’s index finger and thumb found their own way and formed an O shape.

Luna then walked back to her ward. As soon as she entered her room, she had been attacked by two females. “GOON LUNA I WAS SCARED TO DEATH WHERE HAD YOU BEEN?!” “Where did you go?! Someone was scared to death and I’m almost deaf!”

Luna took a sip of her tea. Mrs. Goon came to visit that day with Lili. Lili was energetically telling story about her friends and her boy friend. “Omma, can you please tell her to stop? I’m dizzy here. Tch.” “Lili, you heard your sister.” “But I’m not finish yet!” she pouted. Mrs. Goon chuckled at her reaction.

“Luna, you will get a new doctor soon.” Mrs. Goon said. “muhh? Why? Where is doctor Liew?” “Doctor Liew had been admitted to another hospital.” “Okay then... So, who is he?” “Doctor Xi.” ‘Xi... Reminds me of him. Tch that bastard. I hate him.’

....................

“Goon Lu Na...” Luhan mumbled. ‘Not her right? She is not sick right? I have been looking for her since the day I stepped back on Beijing, China. I miss her... I terribly miss her.’ “Doctor Xi? Not going in?” Mrs. Tan shocked Luhan and made him jumped a little. He blushed. Mrs. Tan laughed at his reaction and walked in.

“Luna, this is your new doctor. Doctor Xi Lu Han.” Luna froze on her bed. ‘Xi Lu Han...? Did I hear it wrongly?’ Luna turned her eye away from the magazine on her hand and said “Xi wh...” again, she froze. She locked her right eye with two eyes in front of her. It indeed was him. Still the old him. With that I-Just-Wake-Up eyes, his nose, his lips, his jaw it’s all same. It’s only his hair, slightly longer than before.

‘My first patient is my fiancée? I am her fiancée but I didn’t even know that she is in a hospital!’ Luhan eyed Luna’s face. ‘I miss that face, a lot.’ He thought. His two eyeballs slowly look up at her head and left eye. Her head and left eye were neatly wrapped with bandage. ‘No... If she is my patient than the file that I just read this morning... Her left eye... No way...’

“WHAT IS HE DOING HERE? GET OUT FROM THIS ROOM NOW!!!!” Luna screamed suddenly after a moment of silence. “Lulu...” said Luhan. “DON’T YOU DARE TO LULU ME! GET OUT NOW! I DON’T WANT TO LOOK AT YOUR FACE!” She grew furious and cried. She threw her pillows madly towards Luhan and hit him. She screamed and shouted until Mrs. Tan dragged Luhan out of the room. Luna cried in the room while Luhan was still confused outside Goon Lu Na’s room.

....................

Luhan was sitting on a chair at the hospital’s cafe while his index finger was playing around his cup of coffee. He finally had the time to take a sit since he was a houseman. His hair was in a mess, he had a big black circular under his eyes. ‘Eyes... so that thing did happen to my Lulu?’ He groaned.

“We need to talk!” said a cute girl with long dark brown straight hair that suddenly came out of nowhere. “L-Lili... you hav...” Luhan couldn’t finish his sentence because of her sudden outburst. “How dare you to come back here after what you did to my sister!” People around the cafe stared at them, shocked.

“W-what did I did to her?” his forehead wrinkled. “Don’t play dumb with me! You left her alone five years ago and now you asked me what you did to her? Jerk!” Lili screamed. “Hold on! I don’t understand! What happen? I don’t get you! Calm down. Can you please sit and tell me everything?” Luhan was totally confused.

‘Is he serious?!’ Lili eyed him. She can see the confused and frustration through his eyes. She decided to calm down and told him everything. After she finished being a story teller, Luhan suddenly stood up and rushed towards his car, he started the car’s engine and drove off. There was only a destination that he wanted to go, his parents’ house.

....................

“I need an explanation.” Luhan threw letters that he sent to Luna while he was in Ireland but she never received it. The letter that he left for her in the apartment the day that he was forced to go to Ireland to further his study in Medic with his uncle. He found it in his parents’ bedroom. Mr. and Mrs. Xi looked at each other. “Look, Luhan...” Mrs. Xi tried to say something, her eyes were red but stopped by Mr. Xi.

“Can’t you see that she is not the one for you? Are you blind? Her father was a drunker while her mother was a . Did you expect that we will agree about your crazy idea by marrying her?” Mr. Xi calmly told his son.

“You are the one that blind! Past is history! Her father had long dead and her mother was not a ! She was rapped by an old geezer and that drunker willingly to marry her, to take responsibility even it was not his fault! You know nothing!” his chest was groaning. He picked his car key and left the house.

....................

“Luna! You have misunderstood!” Luhan flung the door open widely the next day. To his puzzled, Luna was calmer this time. “Spill.” She said while threw her eye to the scenery outside.

“Lili had told me everything. From the beginning until the end. I’m sorry. I did left you a letter! But that was not what I wrote!” he handed over the original letter to Luna. Luna took it and put it on the table. “I will read it later. Continue.” Luhan was very disappointed with her responds. He put the other letters that he had arranged it according to the date and tied it nicely with a cute ribbon on the table. He walked towards the door and turned to Luna when he was standing in front of the door.

“There are 61 letters all together. Read the original letter today and two letters tomorrow, two letters the day after tomorrow and repeat the cycle until there’s none to read anymore. We will talk again after that.” Luhan walked away.

The next day, Luna was told that Luhan had gone for a holiday for a month.

 

October 1968

Luna was holding the last letter.

 

“I’m going home next week yeay! See you soon my baby Lulu! I miss you! :*”

 

Her right cheek was wet. She wiped it away using her handkerchief. ‘Luhan... I read the last letter. Let’s talk again... I miss you Luhan, I’m sorry for being so blunt. Lue...’ she sobbed. “Lili... I miss him.” She sobbed again. “I can see that.”

After awhile, someone knocked the door. It was Mrs. Tan. “Luna, someone wants to meet you after a long holiday. Lili, your omma asked you to accompany her.” Mrs. Tan gave an eye signal and Lili quickly understood and left the room.

Right after Mrs. Tan and Lili left the room, Luna dashed out from her bed and hugged Luhan. Luhan embraced her tightly and kissed her forehead. “Why your omma and appa did that?” Luna mumbled. “Shh.... Let’s not talk about them. We are together now.” Luhan tighten his arms around Luna.

“B-but... I’m ugly now. I’m not perfect...” Luna sobbed. “No! You are perfect to me!” Luhan tried to look at her face but she buried her face on his chest. “I don’t have an eye...” Luhan pushed Luna and pinned Luna on the door.

“If you don’t have hands, I will be your hands. If you don’t have legs, I will carry you bridal style everyday and everywhere you want to go. If you don’t have eyes, let me be your eyes. Let me see the world for you and tell you how cruel the world is. But you have an eye, let see our beautiful old world growing, together.” Luhan leaned in and locked his eyes on her lush pinky lips. She holds her breath and...

A/N: You know what happen next. Sorry to disappoint you. I will not describe that. K bye.

 

Present time, 2013

“The end.” Luna smile. Her mismatched eyes look so calm. She hears one of her grandchild sobbing. “Grandma~ that was so sweet, you and grandpa!” said Lin. Luna laugh. “So... tell me, who have a boy friend and girl friend now?” she grins naughtily. Most of her grandchildren rise up their hands.

Luna is about to say something but Luhan suddenly burst into the room and says, “Treasure them, love them. Boys, don’t you dare to hurt your baby girl.” Their grandsons laugh and make a thumb up sign. “No problem!” says them in unison.

“But grandma, you didn’t tell us where did you get your left eye.” The youngest grandchild, Maya ask curiously. Luna and Luhan look at each other, smiling.

“One day, ...” Luhan starts to tell them the story of Luna’s left eye and their life after that.