►1

Of Paper Planes and Waiting

 

Jung Jessica kept stationary on her bed, her right feet dangling from the edge. Her body looked as if she was limped, unable to move any of the limbs. Only her eyes moved, darting around her spacious room, toned with pink and grey. The side of the room which she was facing looked almost empty, with only a black wooden table positioned in front of the window, and a small round night stand in sight. On the table itself, was nothing except for a stationary holder and a thin pile of papers. What was peculiar about the place is the grey and white paper planes that adorned every exposed floor in view. Writings are visible on the surface of each and every of them. It was neatly written with nice handwritings and the paper planes themselves are neatly folded and shaped. 

 

Jessica herself had one plane in hand with her on her bed. She examined it loosely with blank and empty eyes. Occasionally she would sigh and then continued eyeing the plane in hand, probably admiring the art, every detail of the handwriting and the folds and crinkle the paper plane was made of. Slowly she sat and looked outside the window. The view from her room was great; it faced the city, giving her a full view since her family lived at the 12th floor. Jessica languidly approached the table and leaned onto it. She inhaled the afternoon sky before throwing the paper plane outside the window.

 

She was killing time.

 

It was probably her biggest enemy in life that she loathes it so much. She destroyed every of her belongings that concerned it a long time ago. Jessica does not even know what day it is or what time precisely it is at the moment. She only knew it was night because the Sun was gone, and that it was day because the Sun claimed its throne.  The brunette tugged at her loose tank top before slumping down on the floor, her back leaning against the table leg. The girl sighed again.

 

How long have I been waiting? She mentally asked.

 

Jessica remembered the vague promise a stranger made her some time ago. She didn’t know when the promise was made; maybe it was just yesterday or a month before, a year or two or even from her life before. It hurt her mind when she tried to remember who the stranger was or when it was made but it hurt her even more if she tries to forget the vague promise. She is unsure what is making the promise effect so strong on her life. There she was, lying motionless waiting for the promise-whatever it was to miraculously come true.

 

All that she remembered was the stranger spoke something about waiting and letter and the wind. Maybe the stranger was saying that if she missed her, she should write letters and sends it to the wind.

 

Maybe the stranger was telepathic and she would be able to know what was written. But if she knew what Jessica wrote, she’ll be trying to meet her in any way, for Jessica stated her miserable-ness in the content of the letters and as if to emphasize how miserable she was, she drip two drops of blood as her signature. Her scars were apparent on her right arm and the new cuts have yet to close.

 

So Jessica decided she should wait, and waiting is painful mind you, so she resolved to kill time. Aside from making dozens of paper planes and bleeding herself, Jessica sleeps and lay down on any empty space visible in her room. She doesn’t like to go outside her room, for she hated to be concerned by her ‘understanding’ family. Often, she would turn on the television and the radio, but didn’t pay attention to any of them. The bills were piling mountains for her parents but she didn’t care. She was killing time. The girl would only come out from her room when she was feeling extremely hungry, not that her family minded it.

 

Jessica looked up to the other side of the room.

 

Strangely enough, it was ‘bright’ compared to the side she is currently sitting in. There was a plastic table adorned with red and purple polka dots and there were shelves hosting trophies and medals. Strangely enough, the name engraved on those items is 'Jung Sooyeon' instead of 'Jessica'. Jessica could be bothered less about that. She's been away from the outer life too long to remember why was it like that.

 

A frame holding a picture of a girl similar-looking to her holding a drawing and a trophy beside her mother settled on the table. Jessica’s mother. The thought of a stranger being so close to her mother struck her deeply. She had always wanted to ask why but the temptation was long gone. She can’t even remember when was the last time she had fun with her family, not that it mattered anymore.

 

 

Her gaze shifted to the drawings hung on the wall.

 

When did I draw those?

 

She questioned herself.

 

It was at times like those when Jessica felt really alone, exposed and fragile. It was if an invader broke into her room every day and she was aware the whole time but she cannot see or missed the actions the invader did. The idea made her anxious and she drew her legs closer to her chest, almost curling into a ball.

 

Then, the memory of the stranger’s vague smile crossed her mind and Jessica felt secure again. The thought of the stranger made Jessica recollect the fact that she had a friend that can make her feel safe, which was the concrete reason why Jessica continued to believe the stranger will fulfill whatever promise she made. She stood and walked lazily to her bed and lay down again, facing the ceiling, staring into the thin air. She is going to kill time again.

 

---

 

“Mrs. Jung may I go to Sooyeon’s room? She called me yesterday saying she had a new drawing to show me,” Sooyoung asked. The woman before her just nodded, giving her a sweet smile. Sooyoung thanked her and made her way upstairs to her friend’s room. She knocked on the door but was greeted by silence. Sooyoung guiltily tried the knob and was grateful the door was not locked, but the sight that greeted her was not inviting. A girl was sleeping on the pink bed, her right hand bleeding. The TV was , and the radio was on full volume. On one side of the room, dull paper planes occupied the space.

 

The drawing block on Sooyoung’s hand dropped onto the floor and she shrieked for help, her eyes wide opened with fear. Mrs. Jung rushed upstairs and embraced Sooyoung when she saw the fear splayed across her face.

 

“What’s wrong honey?” she asked. Sooyoung pointed towards the sleeping—no maybe dead girl on the bed. “S-s-sooyeon c-c-cut herself,” she stuttered. Mrs. Jung eyes followed the trail of the teenage slender finger and saw the figure on the bed. Slowly, she smiled and closed the door, and escorted Sooyoung downstairs.

 

She led her to the couch and made her sit. “I’m sorry Sooyoung but Sooyeon is not available right now. The girl you saw was Jessica and don’t worry, she won’t die. Maybe you could come another time okay?” the woman said. Sooyoung just nod her head and she excused herself to go back home. Outside the Jung’s residence, Sooyoung recalled Sooyeon saying something about a girl she dreamt.

 

“I had this really sweet dream where I promised a girl around my age and looks exactly like me that we would be one someday. She looked really lonely so I wanted to be friends with her. Oh and I also told her she could fly letters to the wind and maybe I could catch it”

 

Sooyoung shrugged the memory off.

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

Hey I'm not dead yet! Lol no. Shoot me dead.

So to clear things up, Jessica is an alter ego of Sooyeon.

Okay bye.

Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting loves.

--Butter