Spilling this and spilling that

That One Step: A Cup of Coffee and Old Vases

The train stopped and people rushed out from the wagon.

A tall young man made his way through the crowd. This youngster was named Minhyun. He was in a serious hurry. Now I need to get to the cafe. - Oh no-no-no I'm going to be late! Holy- no-no-no. Just when everything was starting to work out!

Minhyun had reached the stairs and had stepped few steps up when a girl in front of him tripped over a certain step – Minhyun knew that step and he always avoided that – and spilled her coffee. Some of the drink also got on her hand and as it was still hot she burned herself.

„Aah! Hot-hot-hot.“

Minhyun had reached next to her and seeing what happened he pulled out a tissue and offered that to her.

„Here, take that.“

„Ah! Thank you! At least there are some good people left in this world.“ the girl said. Minhyun felt his cheeks heat up as they continued to walk up the stairs.

They both had now reached up onto the street.

 

„Well, I'll be on my way then.“ Minhyun said and took off.

„Hey, wait!“ the girl followed him but the girl was so clumsy that she tripped again and spilled the rest of her coffee. This time her hand was lucky enough not to get a hot shower again.

Minhyun snorted.

„Yes, miss?“

„Could I... know your name, please?“

„Hwang Minhyun.“

„I'm Byun Haeran. Umm... Could you… help me with a small request, please? O-or are you busy?“ the girl stuttered a little. She was obviously really nervous.

„Well, actually I'm late for work,“ the boy started but seeing the girl's smile drop he quickly added,“ but if you would walk with me then maybe I can help you.“

Haeran nodded eagerly and soon she and Minhyun walked towards the cafe where the boy worked.

The walked in silence when Minhyun broke it:

„So... what do you need help for?“

„Oh, I...uh... See I'm new around here and I don't know where some places are yet. So I thought that maybe you know where this antique shop is located.“ Haeran spoke and showed a piece paper with the shop's name and address to Minhyun.

„Yes, that shop is just few blocks down from where I work. - And we are here. Do you want to have a new cup of coffee? I'm buying.“

 

***

 

The bell on the door tinkled as the two stepped into the cafe.

„Oh, no you don't have to.“

„Please, I want to. - Sorry I'm late.“ Minhyun said the last sentence to the cafe's owner who looked at the boy weirdly. „Sir?“

„Late? You're not late. You're too early, my boy. Today's your day off.“ the man, named Leeteuk, said.

Minhyun's eyes widened and Haeran found this sight quite amusing.

„What day is it? - Tuesday. Ahh! How could I forget?!“

„Happens. I do appreciate your enthusiasm, though. At least you show up even if you're late. The last boy we had never showed up for the day if he happened to get a bit late.... But who's the pretty girl? Your girlfriend?“ the owner showed his true colors.

Minhyun and Haeran looked at each other, turned away and blushed.

„N-no, sir. Haeran and I just met few minutes ago.“ Minhyun explained.

„And you're already on a date? Damn, if I was that lucky...“ the Leeteuk went on.

The two got really uncomfortable.

„But why are you standing here for?! Make your orders... on the house of course.“ the man changed the subject.

Minhyun and Haeran both looked up.

„What? Can't I treat my best worker and his lovely friend?“ Leeteuk asked like this was the most common thing in the world.

„Thank you, sir.“ Minhyun bowed and same did Haeran.

 

***

 

Minhyun and Haeran sat in the silence as they waited for their orders. Minhyun was fiddling with his fingers under the table. Talk to her! And about what? Any suggestions? Puppies? Haa-haa. This is ridiculous... C'mon, Leeteuk, hurry up with our drinks!

 

When drinks were brought to their table Minhyun finally found a topic to talk about.

„So... what are you buying from the antique shop?“

„Oh! I'm not buying anything; I'm going to work there. At least, I hope.“ Haeran answered sipping her drink.

„Don't worry about that. The lady who keeps the shop is really nice. I'm sure she'll employ you. - But how did you even find out about that place? I mean, you said you were new around here.“ Minhyun got curious.

„That lady there is my mom's friend...“ Haeran smiled.

„Ooh... that explains the vase... But doesn't that mean you actually know where the shop is?“ Minhyun asked raising a brow.

Haeran's eyes widened and she looked at the boy like she had got caught with a crime. „N-no! I am new! I'm serious. I've been there only once and then mom took me there by car... My orientation is not that good...“ she blurted and lowered her head.

„That's OK, I'm happy to guide you.“

 

***

 

After some time when then the youngsters had finished their drinks they took their leave. The bell on the door sang a happy note once again as Minhyun opened the door for Haeran. Leeteuk behind the counter smiled to himself.

Minhyun lead Haeran through streets and also pointed out some things around them which would help the girl to remember the route. There's always an old lady with her stall on the corner where the street will take you straight down to the antique shop. Behind the corner, some meters on, there's  a ice cream stall – always on this spot. There's this lamp post, painted red for some odd reason, on half of the way to the shop. When you look up from here you can see the sign of the shop in the distance.

 

***

 

„Ticky Time Antique Shop – we are here.“ Minhyun smiled as the two stood in front of their destination.

„Thank you so much. I couldn't have done in without you.“ Haeran bowed to the boy.

„No biggie. It was fun.“ the boy replied.

„Well then I should go in...“

„Can I come?“

„Of course you can! It's open. Plus, it's a public place anyway.“ the girl laughed.

 

The bell on this door didn't make any sound when people stepped into the shop, though the bell was there... Minhyun saw the bell and furrowed his brows: a bell that doesn't tinkle? He stayed behind looking at the bell as Harean stepped further into the shop and welcomed the owner.

„Haeran, my dear. You're here at last. - Who's the boy?“ the lady, named Cecili, said.

„Oh!... he's a... friend.“ Haeran stuttered.

„Right and I'm the Queen of England. It's obvious who he is...“ Cecili said looking up at the tall boy. „The bell doesn't work. Just in case you're wondering.“ she told the boy.

Minhyun looked at the shop's owner. „I could fix that if you want.“

„You could? That's wonderful what do you need?“

„Well for starters. A screwdriver – I need to take it down.“

„Right,“ turning to Haeran she continued in a whisper, „he's perfect boyfriend-material.“

Haeran just froze and her cheeks turned a light shade of pink.

 

Minhyun then fixed the bell and got many praising words from Cecili. The boy stayed in the shop for few more hours to help with other things. He built two new shelves for the goods and put them up. Then he helped to bring in some heavy boxes. Haeran and Minhyun put the new items from the boxes into the freshly installed shelves. All this time the owner-lady kept a close eye on Minhyun...

 

***

 

When Minhyun took his leave and had stepped out from the shop Cecili couldn't hold in her curiosity any longer. She started to bombard Haeran with all kinds of questions. Some of those questions made no sense. How was Haeran supposed to know where Minhyun's grandmother lived of what was the boy's favorite toy when he was little?

 

Fortunately Haeran's mother and father stepped into the shop just when the girl thought she couldn't take any more of those questions.

„Mom! Dad! I'm so glad you're here!“ the girl jumped of joy when she saw her parents.

„Did miss us so bad or was is because Cecili here got carried away again?“ Haeran's mother laughed.

„I didn't get carried away! I was just asking about her boyfriend...“ Cecili played innocent.

Haeran looked at her mother and mouthed  'No-oo.' to her mother as she shook her head.

Haeran's father in the other had didn't see his daughter's gesture and thus he asked: „What boyfriend? He'sprobably just a total stranger? A boy you met today, isn't he?“

Haeran just looked at her father, she had run out of words.

Cecili, the match-maker she was, just had to object „Oh, c'mon! Seriously! You two were the same back then. And plus how is she supposed to get married one day if she can't talk to boys. You two were strangers, too, when you met.“

Haeran's father wanted to talk back but his wife stopped him. „Honey, Cecili is right... Maybe we should reconsider that rule we made.“

Haeran had a parade of victory in her head. „Thank you, mom!“ she said as she hugged her mother.

„Calm down now. I said maybe.“

„Ah! Women! Always holding together..“ Haeran's father surrendered.

„If it makes you feel any better I have a video about the love birdies...“ Cecili revealed.

„When did you-?“ Haeran got surprised.

„When you weren't looking.“ Cecili smiled.

„Show it.“ Haeran's father reacted right away. He was hoping to see something that he can use against the idea of his 'little baby' daughter having a boyfriend.

To everyone's surprise – not really – Minhyun came out to be quite a gentleman. The cutest thing was that he was rather shy around the girl. Every time the boy accidently touched the girl or got too close to her he always pulled away. That made Cecili and Haeran's mother giggle like little school girls. Haeran'r father was content – the boy, without even knowing it himself, had been accepted.

„He looks just like your father when he was young.“ Haeran's mother pointed out.

„Hmph. I was much more handsome.“

„Sure...“

„But there is something that changes things. He's my client's son - a good boy.“

Haeran didn't know if should she be happy or scared. The first option seemed to be good.

Haeran's father sighed. „I think we should change that rule then.“

Harean jumped up and hugged her father the tightest she could ever manage to.

„Thank you-thank you-thank you!... But we did meet just today.“

„Good lord-“

„Hush now. - We'll be leaving. See you, Cecili.“

 

***

 

For the next three weeks Minhyun and Haeran always met in the subway. At first the girl kept on tripping over that one step in the staircase but when Minhyun showed her which step to avoid she finally managed to walk up the stairs properly.

Within those three weeks the two grew quite close. They spent their free time together. Once they even had a day off at the same time. On that day Haeran had decided to go shopping and to her surprise Minhyun wanted to come along, though he really wasn't the shopper kind of type but just the mere thought of spending time with Haeran made change his habits for a day.

That shopping spree day was just a few days ago. Now thinking back to that day it was a damn good decision that Minhyun went with Haeran because she made him go to pretty much every shop... including a jewelry shop. And yes, Minhyun did buy something from that shop. Not on that very day of course 'cause Haeran would have noticed something. He bought his little present on the next day which is today which means he's really nervous which means he's going to tell her something... something really important.

 

Leeteuk had been observing Minhyun for these last three weeks and he felt like today was the day. To make things easier for Minhyun he came out with an idea that the boy should invite Haeran over to a mini-party they will be having tonight in the cafe. Minhyun, of course, took that offer and soon enough the boy was standing on the subway platform waiting for the girl.

Minhyun breathed in and out, deeply, to calm himself somehow. This kind of tactic seemed to work at first but when he heard the train nearing the station he panicked again.

What should I say? How should I say it? I will mess everything up! Why are these kind of things so easy in the movies?!  - OK, now. Pull yourself together! She'll like you. Just the way she's around you... looking so pretty-

„He-ey. Sleeping prince, wake up!“ Haeran was already standing in front of the boy and waiving her hands in front of his face.

„Huh. What? - Oh. Hey. Shall we go?“ Minhyun was finally awakened.

 

***

 

Leeteuk nudged Minhyun.

„Hey, when are you making your move?“ the older whispered.

„What move-? How do you know about it?“ the other got surprised.

„Seriously...  Do you think I'm blind or something-“

„What are you boys whispering there? Do you have any secrets to spill?“ Leeteuk's wife asked.

Leeteuk played innocent. „Oh, nothing-nothing. Really...,“ but looking at Haeran he smirked, „But Minhyun wants to confess his love to Haeran!“

Minhyun's eyes widened and he tried to shut up his boss but the latter said it out so quickly that he barely had time to even raise his hand to cover Leeteuk's mouth.

Haeran and Minhyun had, by now, both with flaming red faces. The two didn't look at each other.

„Aww. Isn't that cute...“ Leeteuk's wife smiled.

„Well...erm. Guys, I wanna show you something,“ Leeteuk caught other's attention, „not you two, though. You have some talking to do.“

With this the others left following Leeteuk to the back room. But for the two lovers it took quite a while when they started talking.

„Did you really... want to... confess... to me?“ Haeran spoke up not looking at the boy.

Minhyun nodded and sighed. „Yes... I mean I am... the thing is... Damn that Leeteuk for ruining everything!“

Haeran chuckled.

Minhyun went on: „But then again – maybe it's easier now,“ he looked at the girl, suddenly finding the courage in him, „ I really like you Haeran. I mean like you like you.“

„You mean... lov-e.“ Haeran pulled the last word out.

Now the two were finally looking each other in the eye. Minhyun smiled and so did Haeran.

„Yes, I meant... love.“ Minhyun breathed. „And I,“ he searched his pockets, „got you these.“ He pulled out a little velvet box and opened it revealing beautiful silver earrings.

Haeran covered , gasping. „They're beautiful!“

With shaking hands she took the present and just looked at the earring for some time. Minhyun studied the girl's face and finding nothing but joy and happiness in her expression he, once again, smiled to himself.

„Haeran?“

„Mmh?“

The butterflies in the boy's stomach started swirling in rapid speed. „Will... you... be... my girlfriend... please?“

Haeran looked up from the present in her hands. She nodded really eagerly.

„Yes... Yes!“

 

***

„Watch your step now, dear. Don't trip!“ a  tall man called his little daughter to be cautious.

„Ah! Calm down, Minhyun-ah. It's not like she's as clumsy as I was.“ the man's wife said.

„You may never know, Haeran-ah: You may never know.“ Minhyun took Haeran's hand in his and together they walked up the same stairs they had first met at.