Today Is A Fairytale

A Boy, A Bus and A Love Story [Two-Shots]

 

I quickly grab my bag and get ready to board as soon as I see the bus number 504 comes approaching towards my direction. The bus stops right in front of me and the driver opens the door seconds later. I enter the bus and put my card in front of the scanner. After hearing a beep sound, I take my card back and keep it inside my pocket as I walk towards my regular seat.

“Huwaaaaaaargh…” I yawn lazily as I sit down and throw my bag onto the empty seat next to me.

The bus starts to move again. As usual, there’s a familiar Ahjussi reading newspaper two rows in front of me. There’s also a familiar Noona dressing in formal attire checking her face now and then using her compact powder. These two people have always been the first people I see whenever I get on this public transport since the first day I go to school by bus, which is 4 years ago. I already recognized their faces, I already knew which stop would they disembark. I consider them strangers only due to the facts that I don’t know their names, their address and their contact information.

In fact, not only these two people, I have also recognized all other regular passengers of this bus. Among them are a always-sleepy college student with zero willingness to go to campus, a tall muscular man in police uniform, three never-stop-chatting-and-giggling girls from JY High School, a fat Ahjumma who never sits no matter how people offer their seat to her or how empty the bus is, and lastly a boy from YG High School who always has his earphone tucked into his ear.

Same people, same road and same routine everyday.

Since 4 years ago, my morning has always been this boring and uninteresting.

 

 

 

The bus moves at a medium speed. After several traffic lights, it arrives at its next station – the station where the always-sleepy college student with zero willingness to go to campus would board.

“No, no. You should scan the card here,” I hear the driver says suddenly. “A little bit longer, around three seconds. Wait until there’s a beep sound,” he adds.

I sigh.

Ah, must be a first-timer case again.

Seriously, people. Being a first-timer is not an excuse for you not to educate yourself on what you should do when you board a bus. You can ask other experienced people beforehand, you can make some simple research online or you can ing read the instruction at the scanner machine! It is not written there for nothing, you know! This type of first-timers is so annoying, seriously. Because of their ignorance, they make the queue behind them becomes longer and automatically wastes other’s people precious time.

“Thank you, sir. Thanks for your help and kindness,” replies the first-timer.

I was surprised. What a beautiful voice she has! I am curious about her look. Is it as beautiful as her voice?

So I lift my head up to take a look at her. What I see next makes my heart stops beating. I am literally out of breath. Did I take the wrong bus today? Is this bus heading to heaven? Where is this beautiful fairy come from?

She looks kinda awkward and lost. She doesn’t know where to sit but because of non-stop complaints from people behind her, she quickly takes the nearest empty spot, which is the seat right in front of me. She sits down and let out a short relief sigh. Even though I can only see her backside now, I’m happy enough because I can smell the scent of her hair. Gosh… The smell is so nice and lovely. I feel like I’m in a spa for a moment.

The bus starts to move again after all passengers get in. It is kinda packed and occupied now but there are still a few seats available. I keep watching the first-timer from her back. She was busy exploring the bus. She touches the seat cushion, she touches the window, she asks the person next to her what’s the function of the plastic holders which hanging down from the bus ceiling and she reads the ‘PRIORITY TO SENIOR CITIZEN, HANDICAPPED, PREGNANT WOMAN, SICK PEOPLE AND MOTHER WITH KIDS’ sign.

I find it very cute. Her inquiry level is so high. I never found a person as curious as her.

After about 20 minutes full of exploration, she finally sits back and relaxes herself. She checks her watch before looking out the window. I thought her exploration has over but after seeing her hand lands on the red button at the window, my eyes widened.

“Don’t-”

I wanna stop her but it’s too late. She already pressed the button and the bell rings immediately. The bus slows down and it stops at the next nearest station.

“Namwoo Station! Namwoo Station!” shouts the bus driver as he opens the door.

I facepalm real hard. At first I thought she really wanna get down here. But after realizing that this place is the Buddhist cemetery, I know that she pressed the button without knowing anything.

“We already here, you can get down now,” the bus driver says to whomever it may concern after realizing that no one get out of the bus.

Even after he waited for another one minute, no one responded to him and no one get out of the bus. The bus driver slowly loses his patience.

“Yah! Who the punk pressed the button just now??!”

The girl in front of me is completely shocked. Poor her. She raises her hand but before she could say anything, I stand up.

“Sorry, Ahjussi. It was me,”

The bus driver looks at me in disbelief. So does the first-timer girl in front of me. She has no idea why I take the blame for her.

“You? Why did you do that?”

I grin at him. “Ehehe. I was just… curious. Ehehehe. Sorry,”

“Curious? What curiosity are you talking about? You’ve been taking this bus since 4 years ago!” he scolds me as he finds my excuse was unacceptable.

“Ahjussi, even though I’ve have taken this bus for 4 years, I seldom get the chance to press the button. Someone else always press it first,” I justify myself, even though I didn’t do anything wrong.

The bus driver sighs.

“Young man, jaebal… Press the button only when you want to get down! Aish… But I let you pass this time. I don’t wanna make this issue becomes bigger and I don’t wanna waste our time. Or else, everybody in this bus will be late. Please, don’t do that again. Press the button only when you want to get down. This is not a request or reminder, this is warning! Understand?” he scolds me further.

I continue grinning at him and answer shortly, “Nae~”

The bus driver gets back to his seat and continues the journey. I also get back to my seat but I can hear the other passengers whisper and complain.

“Aish, so irritating!”

“You think this bus belongs to your father?”

 “Why so childish??”

“Go to temple if you’re that desperate to ring a bell!”

“You’re lucky that I am injured or else I already knock you down right here right now!”

I rub my chest to calm myself down, ‘Patience is a virtue, Kyuhyun. Patience is a virtue,’

The first-timer girl turns around and looks at me.

“Why did you do that?” she asks with apologetic looks in her eyes.

“Huh? What?” I pretend not to know. Inside my heart, I’m actually spazzing like crazy. She talks to me! I ing make her talks to me!!

“Mianhae. You got into trouble because of me. I appreciate what you did for a pabo like me but please don’t do that again. I feel so guilty. A kind person like you don’t deserve to get scolded like this,”

“It’s okay. I do it with my own willingness,” I reply, try to make myself looks cool for her.

“I-” she wants to talk about something but the bus driver voice interrupts us.

“Donggul Station! Donggul Station!” he shouts.

Ah, we’ve arrived at Donggul Station already? So soon?

“Donggul Station? Oh, I should get down here!” says the girl suddenly and stands up.

“Thank you so much for today. Hope to see you again. Anneyong,”

“But wai-” I didn’t get to finish my word. She already got down and disappeared in the crowd of people.

“At least tell me your name…”

 

 

 

The next day, I go to school feeling more excited than usual. Okay, I admit that not exactly ‘going to school’ that makes me more excited than usual but it is the ‘journey to go to school’. I wake up early in the morning, give more detail and attention to my hair and perfume -something I don’t usually do except for big days such as representing my school for Mathematics competition.

I board the bus as usual and the driver gives me a glare as if he tells me not to do whatever I did the day before.

“Heee~” I only grin at him as if nothing happened.

When the bus arrives at the next station, where the always-sleepy college student with zero willingness to go to campus usually boards, I double-check my look through my handphone. This station was where the beautiful first-timer gets on. But since today is no longer her first time, I'll just call her fairy. Hehehehehe.

I really can’t wait to see her. I want her to sit beside me so I purposely let the seat next to me empty. I wanna know her name and if possible, I wanna get her contact number. Well, I can say that the possibility or probability to get her contact number is high. Why? Because she thinks I’m her savior and owes me a favour!

I see the always-sleepy college student with zero willingness to go to campus embarks the bus. Behind him is an Ahjumma with a child. Behind them is a group of junior high students. Behind the group is… no one.

Yes, no one!

The door closes and the bus starts to move again. I check the bus station but there’s only two people left waiting and both of them are males. The fairy is nowhere in sight.

“Wait! Stop the bus!” I shout.

I absolutely don’t know what's the reason or where did I get the courage to shout like that. I just can’t accept the fact that I can’t see the fairy this morning. I want to see her so much.

“What’s wrong?” asks the driver after stopping the bus.

I don’t know what to say but I just want the bus to stop. I want to delay the time and wait for her. Maybe she’s late today and can’t catch the bus on time. Please, fairy. Please be here now. I really wanna see you today. I must see you today.

“You again? What is it this time??” The bus driver has started to become angry.

“I… I.. Err-” Gosh, this is not looking good. What am I suppose to do now? Fairy, please be here now. How much longer will you take?

The passengers start to become noisy. Complaints and yelling are coming from every corner of the bus.

“Calm down, everyone! Calm down, please! I’ll solve the problem now. Please go back to your seat,” the bus driver tries to handle the situation.

“Young man, I’m not kidding right now. If you ever, ever, ever cause any trouble again, I’m banning you from entering this bus! You can make reports to the headquarters whatsoever but I definitely can’t tolerate you playing useless pranks and disturbing the public! This is my very last, I repeat, my very last warning! Got it?!”

The bus driver looks so serious and stern. This is the first time I see him like that. I surrender and reply half-heartedly, “Yes, I understand…”

 

 

 

One week has passed since that incident. The fairy never takes the bus again. Maybe her car broke down on the day we met that’s why she needed to take bus to school. Or maybe she had to attend a program or event somewhere near Donggul Station and no one can send her that’s why she has to take the bus. Or maybe she was phobia because apparently her first time experience wasn’t good and kinda embarrassing that’s why she never takes bus again.

Ah, whatever it is, I just wanna see her again. I miss her so much! If she wanna leave without a word like this from the beginning, why the hell did she bewitch me with her fascinating charm and let me live a torturous life like this? Aish! How frustrating!

“Kyuhyun-ah, you look so gloomy and unhappy these days. What’s wrong?” asks Leeteuk hyung suddenly.

Kangin hyung who is standing beside him, nods his head to show his agreement. These two hyungs are my sunbae from music club. They also go to the same piano class with me. We’ve known each other for quite a long time and they treat me more like a dongsaeng than a hoobae.

“I’m okay. My expression is always like this,” I lie.

Kangin hyung doesn’t believe it and ignores my excuse completely. He hangs his arm across my shoulder and asks cheekily, “To see our dongsaeng behaving like this… it must be a girl that bothers your mind, right?”

I am a bit surprised. How can he guess it correctly? Am I that obvious? Is everything written on my face?

I don’t get the chance to justify myself as Leeteuk hyung suddenly interrupts, “Jinja? Aish, this is not right Kyuhyun-ah. Namja shouldn’t be acting like this,”

“True! Just because you cheat on her, she leaves you? So shallow! That girl is so inconsiderate and too sensitive. It's normal for guys to go out with more than one girl. You shouldn’t feel guilty at all,” adds Kangin hyung then.

“Wait. What? No, I-”

“That’s okay, Kyuhyun-ah. I’m still proud of you for cheating on her. So who dumps whom? She dumps you? Gwenchana. You can still restore you pride. I have a way,” Leeteuk hyung cuts me off.

“No! Hyung! Listen to me!”

“Aish this kid! Just listen to what Leeteuk hyung gonna say!” says Kangin hyung as he slaps my head.

Pfft! These two bastards!

I give in. I don’t care what they wanna think about me anymore.

Leeteuk hyung then continues, “This weekend, there is a carnival at SM Girls’ School,”

“You mean, the famous SM Girls’ School? The school where Korea’s top celebrity BoA previously went? And the school where the trending idol group members Sulli and Krystal currently attend?” asks Kangin hyung excitedly.

Leeteuk hyung nods.

“Yes, you got it right. Even though the school carnival is open to public, not everyone can enter the special events at the hall. The public only can go to the field where the jumbo sale being held. There will be some performances and exhibitions at the field but from what I heard, they are just the small ones and handled by the juniors. All the hot pretty famous seniors will be inside the hall, handling the special events,” explains Leeteuk hyung further.

“What are the special events? Why only selected people can enter?” Kangin hyung asks again. He seems so interested with this carnival. Well, he's not known for the biggest casanova in SJ High School for nothing.

“That is what we’re gonna find out this weekend,” answers Leeteuk hyung, another big casanova in SJ High School. In fact, the leader.

“But, what does this thing got to do with me and my problem?” my question makes Kangin hyung gives another hard slap on my head.

“Yah, pabo! This is the time for you to hook up with new girls and forget your ex-girlfriend! Show her how much you’re not affected with the break up and you’re actually doing great with someone hotter and prettier than her. She must feel really pathetic and stupid then,”

“True! The hotter the girl you get the better!” adds Leeteuk hyung.

I can only sigh.

Pfft… These two bastards…

“But hyung… how do we get in there? I mean, the special events? You said only selected people can go in?” asks Kangin hyung, full of concern. Must be great if he can show his concern as serious as this for poverty problem in North Korea or famine problem in Africa. Or at least for his terrible marks in exam.

“Don’t worry. My sister, In Young Noona is working with the sponsor of the events. She’ll help us,”

Kangin hyung was overwhelmed with the answer. “Assa! I can always rely on you, Teukie hyung! I can't wait!!”

I let out another sigh.

Pfft... These two bastards...

How and why did I get involved with these two people?

 

 


Author's Note:

Finally, the first chapter! Gonna update the next chapter maybe next month because I'm in the middle of final exam right now. Huhu.

Changmin gonna appear on the next chapter. Try guess what his role's gonna be. Hehehehehehehe.

Don't forget to subscribe and leave your comment.

Till then, anneyong~ ^^