Floating on Cloud 9

Floating on Cloud 9

"Hand."

"What?"

 

Youngjae looked up confusedly at Daehyun to find him asking for his hand for some odd reason.

 

Today marks the beginning of Autumn and what better way to commemorate the start of a new season with a day at the park. A good old warm scarf, a thick jacket, and mittens to pair with the weather and it was perfect.

 

Still, a confused expression marked on his face he stares at Daehyun who had a balloon in hand. It was bright red, complementing the weather, in a shape of a heart tied with a string to keep it from floating away.

 

"Hand." Daehyun once again said, motioning for his hand. Left with no choice, he tentatively offered his hand to Daehyun. He grabbed Youngjae's hand and looped the end of the string around his wrist securely.

 

"That wasn't so bad, right?" He chirped and let go of Youngjae's wrist. "Daehyun... What's this for?" Youngjae asked, pointing at the peculiar balloon that Daehyun just suddenly bought and gave to him. "Just for the heck of it." He shrugged his shoulders and tucked his hands into his pockets. "You like it?" Pertaining to the balloon. "Sure." Uncertain of how to answer that question.

 

Daehyun had a small smile on his face to which Youngjae admired. The sun had the perfect lighting, just enough to accentuate Daehyun's beauty. The back drop was no exception. The leaves were turning different shades of reds and browns, falling as the cool breeze blows on them. Then this weird fuzzy feeling once again bubbles in his insides just like those other times. These simple brief moments he catches of Daehun gives him this weird feeling and it never ceases to baffle him.

 

"Sooo, you want to go for a walk?" He suggested. Youngjae stood up from the bench and nodded. Naturally, their steps matched. One foot after the other meeting with the gravel under their shoes, their arms swinging alternately on their sides. The balloon in Youngjae's hand following behind the rhythm of his arms.

 

In that moment, Youngjae felt like a child again. Young in a boy's age, strolling in the park with a balloon in one hand and an ice cream on the other. Oblivious to the world's complexities and still innocent in everyone's eyes. Laughing and smiling about the littlest things.

 

Except this wasn't the type where your mom or your dad buys you the balloon in a parent-lovingly manner. This was different. It had a romantic feel laced to it. Like what lovers do.

 

He was cut off in his reverie when Daehyun spoke once again.

 

"This is nice."

"It is." Lovely even.

 

The air was comfortable around them. The temperature was just right. Sufficient to keep them cool and not freeze to death.

 

Daehyun side-glanced at Youngjae, careful not to get caught. He lowered his head and bit his lip to keep himself from grinning too much. Just a glance was enough for him to get his mind turn into a chaos, just being beside Youngjae was enough. More than enough.

 

"Hey Daehyun." He called softly, like he was afraid to ruin the silence. He looked up at the balloon and watched as it floated mid-air. "Hmm?" Daehyun questioned. It was free, waving with the wind's direction yet oppressed from flying away from his grasp and then... hope.

 

Youngjae averted his attention back to Daehyun. He turned his head towards him taking a glimpse of his face before looking ahead. He balled up his fists and encouraged himself to get this done. He inched his hand near Daehyun's and carefully took a hold of them. He held on to them and gleefully cheered in his head for doing such a thing. He breathed in, then breathed out the words that has been bothering himself for quite awhile.

 

"I'm in love with you."

"...Same."