Memories

First Love

s

Her smile reached the top of her eyes, radiating happiness. He pinched her cheek playfully, "It's great to know you're happy."

"Jjong, i'm happy as long as you're here."

He grunted as he felt a sudden shot of electrifying pain zap him in the head. His brain felt so cogged up, like everything was jumbled. He felt hopeless. His mind brought back fond memories of the past that he held close to him for a long time since forever. He needed to adjust. He breathed deep and closed his eyes, trying to go back. Trying, failing, gaining energy, and then falling limp. He was practically lifeless. 

"Don't try too hard, jjong! Even though success comes by hard work, working too hard pushes success further away!" Her blinding smile made him cover his eyes in pain.

"W-What!" His eyes were showered by the blinding sunlight streaming in from his window, the opened curtains indicating a guest.

"Don't try so hard." He opened his eyes once again to meet pretty eyes staring back into his.

Memories flooded back into his head, like a whirlwind scooping him up and bringing him in. Darkness engulfed his world before he could finally see an opening.

It was raining. Hard. The large droplets of cool water ran down his skin as he walked slowly in the rain. Pain hit him each time the droplets fell. Squeezing his eyes shut, he shivered silently and prayed for the impossible rain to stop. 

The droplets stopped falling. 

He felt nothing. 

There was no more continuous water falling onto him heavily. 

As his eyes fluttered open, he recognised the large raindrops right at his footsteps. In front, behind, on the right, the left-

His eyes flickered with annoyance. A girl stood there, holding an umbrella above his head, while she got drenched, trying to catch up with his pace.

His hand shot out, grabbing her petite waist, pulling her in under the pink umbrella. 

Her pretty eyes widened in shock, before she stuttered out, "I..

I'm Jessica. Jessica Jung!" 

Then and there, if smiles could kill his heart, 

that did it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Those eyes were still piercing into him, and he looked up in crude fear. "Who are you?" 

Her pretty eyes filled with tons of emotions washed dark black, distressed. "You don't.. It's fine. I'll come back later kay?" She stood up, packed up her things and left, leaving the roses laying on the bedside table. 

A flash in his head shook him and he hissed, falling back onto the bed. "Hold it there buddy, calm." He muttered to himself, taking it easy. Then it all started to hit him, once again, and he relaxed into the bed, unconcious. 

*Pitter patter pitter patter*

The rain could only dampen his spirits as he stared straight ahead into the cloudy fog, sighing. Life could only be harder for him at this point of time. Just a few minutes ago, the chime sounded the end of class, and the students rushed home fervently. Jonghyun, on the other hand, took his time. He was frustrated by the fact that the teacher had picked on him that day, pointing out all the mistakes in his test alone, not to mention that he didn't exactly pass. 

He let out another heavy sigh, before tugging at the straps of his shoulder bag, meant for practice which by the way, got cancelled by the outrageous rain. He could only hope that running might save his new sport shoes. 

His jaw tightened as he took a single deciding step into the open rain, feeling the dark, gloomy cloud trample over him. The rain was bizarre, heavy, and large droplets splashed crazily,attacking him sharply on the arms. His hair was already wet by the first few steps he took, and he knew it was hopeless. He shook his wet hair and ruffled it, running an arm through it and squeezing the rain out of wisps of it. Sighing for the umpteen time today, he continued his slow pace towards the bus stop. 

"Today is a horrible day-" His eyes fell closed as he walked in the gloomy weather, feeling completely undisturbed. He shivered and prayed for the impossible rain to stop. It wasn't until the rain stopped around him before he looked up, opening his eyes. He could no longer feel the desperate raindrops dropping onto him like a sharp icicle stabbing him. He furrowed his eyesbrows, confused. 

'Why is there rain right in front of me, but i can't feel it?' 

He stopped. Then took a few quick steps. He looked up. It was raining. He looked to the right, the back, the left- 

Right there, was a girl, standing beside him. In her fingers was the end of the umbrella, the umbrella that was sheltering him. He looked up at the direction of the sky, only to see the pastel pink color of the umbrella color his vision. He halted his footsteps, only to see the black flats stop beside his new sport shoes. He blinked angrily. 

"Why-"

The girl was soaked from head to toe, all wet while he was barely dripping. She was clearly trying to catch up to his weird pace and shelter him from the rain. He softened, shot an arm out and grabbed her petite waist, pulling her beside him.

"Let's use the umbrella together." He whispered into her ear, holding her close. Red splattered across her cheek as she blushed, hiding her face. 

"Thanks..."

"Don't need to thank me, i should be thanking you instead. You had an umbrella, and you got wet cause you were sheltering me."

"I-I'm Jessica. Jessica Jung." She smiled, and his body froze. That angelic smile, those pretty eyes, that tilt of the head... It all captivated him. 

"I'm Kim Jonghyun."  His heart fluttered, his brain froze, his body felt numb, his stomach was tumbling, but all he could think of was her. 

"C'mon, the bus is here!"

"Ah, yeah!" The two figures scrambled onto the bus, their footsteps falling in sync. They settled into the seats, and Jonghyun instinctively put in his earphones. Glancing at her, he found her staring out the wndow. His fingers reached to his ear, pulling out the earpiece on the left. Brushing her haird aside, he plugged it into her ear, smiling as she spun around in shock.

"Thank you." 

That was enough. That was enough to let him know. Until the moment she stepped off the bus, then did he realise he knew her. She was his senior. She was the well-known Jessica Jung. However, what he was sure of was,

that was his 'love at first sight'.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

His eyes shot open, wide and clear. He took a quick glance at the door.

"That girl just now... She was Jessica. My first love. And i didn't even know." He slammed his fist onto the bedside table, staring at the red roses. 

"I'll wait for you to visit again, Sica." He picked up the red roses and gently tucked them into the pale pink vase. "I'll wait... Just like how you waited."

Stuck on the bed frame was the statistics of the patient, lying in that bed. The memories taken from him, he'd get them back.