002. My Writing

Stuck In Between

002. My Writing

28k6flk.jpg

Louis makes his brief appearance (with the banana, of course) at the beginning, when Myungsoo is looking around the “crazy level” of the mental hospital.

The colourful umbrellas are mentioned when Myungsoo is looking around Dr. Park’s office, noticing his for brightly coloured items.

The telephone booths make their appearance when Myungsoo is wandering around aimlessly, after his appointment with Dr. Park.

And Myungsoo says, “I can’t see anything else but you,” towards the end, when Sungyeol asks, “You won’t miss anything here?”

~~~

So, I basically split the prompt into four parts:
I’m telling you that I want you.
I’m telling you that I love you.
Are you listening to my heart?
It hurts to look at you like this.

~~~

The first part, “I’m telling you that I want you,” is reflected when Sungyeol says that he wants Myungsoo and him to be together, forever. He wants Myungsoo to come over to his side (which is death), because he desires to be with Myungsoo.

~~~

The second part, “I’m telling you that I love you,” is seen (quite obviously) at the ending, when the both of them say, “I love you.” And it is also seen throughout Sungyeol’s appearances, when he smiles as he sees Myungsoo; and when he kisses Myungsoo etc.

~~~

I took the third part, “Are you listening to my heart?” rather literally. Sungyeol’s heart doesn’t move (because he is dead), while Myungsoo’s heart still beats. And so, no matter how hard Myungsoo tries to be with him, he cannot because both of them are too different. Therefore, the only way they can be together, is if their hearts are the same.

~~~

The last part, “It hurts to look at you like this,” is reflected when Sungyeol begs for Myungsoo to cross over to him (when he says, “You wouldn’t have to hide anything from anyone”) because he couldn’t stand to watch his lover pretending to be someone he’s not, in front of the doctors. Also, this part can be seen when Sungyeol turns away, just as Myungsoo was about to cut himself.

The two ways, in which I have revealed the fourth part of the prompt, are contradictory to each other: First, Sungyeol wanted Myungsoo to cross over to him, because he couldn’t endure seeing Myungsoo in so much pain. But then, just as Myungsoo was about to kill himself, Sungyeol couldn’t bear to watch the scene.

These paradoxical scenes reflect Sungyeol’s inner battle with his conscience; wanting to save Myungsoo from his pain and be with him forever… or letting Myungsoo live the rest of his life.
 

ev18qd.png

» layout credit