White chocolate chip cookies, with Australian walnuts... and dried mangoes

Australian Walnuts and Dried Mangoes

 

He made his way down the dark streets, rubbing his hands together for warmth. The puff of air that escaped his lips seemed to mock him, or maybe it was just his eyes playing tricks on him. Whatever it was, going out in the middle of the night in cold December air should be made a crime. No one should suffer such cold weather looking for ridiculous things like Australian walnuts and dried mangoes.

*Flashback*

He was just about to settle for the night, having had such a tiring day running errands when his wife, whom he thought was fast asleep, spoke up.

“Honey?” She said from underneath the blankets she decided to cover herself with.

He tried hard not to sigh, but after a constant ‘honey’ he heard all throughout the day, this just about deserve one… a loud one. He wondered what she wanted now. He had been running around all day trying to satisfy her cravings, and even managed to buy the specific type of prawns from Busan that she had 5 months ago when they went on their honeymoon. Her requests were strangely hard to get and he knew that this time, it was no different.

“Are you sighing at me?” She asked with a frown.

“No no! Of course not sweetheart, what can I do for you?” Simon quickly replied, turning to his side.

“You were sighing at me. I heard you...” She said, her lower lip trembling.

Oh no, please don’t cry, Simon begged silently. He cannot stand crying women. Nothing was y about a woman who cries. Their nose drips, their sobbing annoys the hell out of him, and they look just downright ugly. Their eyes don’t sparkle, but are murderous if you were the cause of their tears. But no matter how ugly the woman beside him becomes, she was still his wife… till death do them part of course…

Simon’s lips curved into an awkward smile and he shook his head. “I was not sweetheart. I promise you. Now, is there something you want?”

"Honey, I want cookies." She literally demanded.

"Oh ok, I'll go get you the chocolate chip cookies we just bought." Simon said, climbing out of bed. He was about to walk out the door when she stopped him.

"No! I want white chocolate chip cookies, with Australian walnuts... and dried mangoes." She said, her eyes twinkling like that of a small child eating ice cream.

He looked at her, dumbfounded. When he spoke, his voice was laced with exasperation. Here was another one of her strange request. "But sweetheart, it's 2.30 in the morning! Where in the world am I going to get those cookies?"

"I don't care! I want it, and I want it right now! If you can't buy them, then make some!" She said with a pout.

He was about to frown at her, since her request was getting immensely ridiculous, when he decided against it. It wouldn’t do them any good if they argue. Besides, it was him that was going to be thrown out of the house, not her.

He bit back a reply, and smiled forcefully at her. “Ok sweetheart.” He said with a sweetness that sickened his stomach.  

He put on his pants and made his way down to the kitchen, grumbling under his breath. How was he to get white chocolate chip cookies in the middle of the night? The nearest convenience store was closed. He knew, because he was there when it closed, buying a tub of Ben and Jerry’s that she finished in mere minutes. There was only one way for her to get the cookies she wanted, and that was for him to bake them. Great, now she got him baking. What next? Wear a frilly apron and open up a bakery?

He scowled. He had absolutely no idea how to bake cookies. His hand snatched the box of cookies that he bought for her hours ago, asking God why she couldn’t just have these instead and make his life easier. He turned the box and found the recipe behind, and with a dejected sigh, set down to work. He didn’t want her yelling at him again. He loved her, he truly did, but all the yelling was making his head ache. If one didn’t know better, they would think it was him having the baby, and not his wife. He rummaged through the cabinets for ingredients and frowned. When had they ever bought Australian walnuts and dried mangoes? Or white chocolate chip for that matter? 

*End of Flashback*

And so here he was, at 2.45 in the morning… looking for Australian walnuts and dried mangoes. He grumbled under his breath, cursing the predicament he was in. He did not sign up for this. If he knew he would be up all night looking for absurd things, he would not have gotten married… at all, ever.

What made him do it? Why did he propose to her? He was single, happily so, but she decided to ruin that for him. She must have put a curse on him the moment she breezed through his dressing room… She just had to. She claimed she was a reporter doing an interview on the band, but he knew better. She was a witch, casting a spell on him so he would fall in love with her. Not that he objected of course. He did nothing to reject the love she gave him. In fact, he was more than happy to receive all the love. He, in all his life, had never seen anyone more beautiful or gentle than her.

Wish he could say the same about her now though. She was still beautiful, despite her ballooning in size, but he wasn’t so sure about the gentle part. Nothing was gentle about a pregnant woman, and certainly not his wife. There was nothing he could do but to endure it, at least for another 5 months or so. Then the baby would be born, and he would be free of this torture.

He rounded the corner and heaved a sigh of relief when he finally found an open convenience store. God must have taken pity on him. Hurrying inside, he grabbed whatever he needed for the cookies and paid before making his way back home.

He glanced at the clock in the kitchen as soon as he came home. It was already 3.30 in the morning. Would she still be craving for the cookies? The couch was calling him and he was dead tired. He shook his head. Deciding not to take the risk, he took out the packet of walnuts he just bought. It was no Australian walnuts, but then again, she never had walnuts before so she wouldn’t actually know the difference between non-Australian and Australian walnuts.

Come 20 minutes and the mixture in the bowl had turned to dough. His cheeks covered with flour, he smiled proudly. He may not be able to stop his wife from crying, but he sure damn well know how to bake cookies. For a first timer, he thought it didn’t look that bad at all. Maybe he should give the bakery a consideration. He can’t possibly be singing forever…

Another half hour passed by and the cookies were baked and out of the oven. He took a bite and quickly spat the piece out. It tasted absolutely horrible. Walnuts and dried mangoes were a gross combination. He shrugged as he placed the cookies on a plate. Well, at least he tried. And it was the effort that counts right? It was made out of love for his wife, and pure exhaustion.

It was nearing 5 in the morning when he made his way into their bedroom, the plate of cookies in his hand. He found her fast asleep in bed and smiled to himself. Placing the plate on the bedside table, he climbed into bed and pulled her closer to him. His eyes fluttered close as he wrapped his arm around her bulging stomach.

“Where have you been?” His wife mumbled.

“Oh. I was in the kitchen. Don’t worry about that now sweety. Let’s go to sleep.” Simon said tiredly.

“Simon?”

“Yes sweetheart?”

“After I give birth to this baby, can we have another one please?”

His eyes snapped wide open and sleep refused to come altogether. He felt as if his soul had left his body. Another baby? Another 9 months of hormonal tantrums and weird cravings? Was he up for that? He could barely even get through this pregnancy, and now she wants another one?

“Uhh sweetheart, let’s just get through this pregnancy first ok? We’ll talk about having more children afterwards…”

“Ok…” She murmured. “Simon?”

“Yes baby?”

“I love you…”

Simon smiled and placed a kiss on her forehead. “I love you too baby…” 

 


 

Chapter Posted on: Dec. 4. 2012

Here it is! The one-shot! Hope you guys like it!!!! ^^