...

One Fine Spring Day

One fine spring day, the two of them were seating on both ends of a park bench which is dappled under a palm grove tree.

The prairie is velvet green.
The wind wafts mild cold breezes.

There were no words. Just silence that none of them cared for how long it had been. But as their arms reach out and fingers laced on each others’ hands, it felt like they were already reading their souls.

But Geng, broke the atmosphere that Heechul almost wanted to last for eternity.

This ambiance was what he had wished for so long since Geng won the lawsuit, just the two of them on a cozy afternoon. Even if none of them is speaking to the other, there was a contentment that he can only seem to find within this Chinaman’s existence beside him.

“It’s time for you to go,” uttered his lips. He said it without looking at Heechul’s round eyes.

“Where are we going then? Have you decided to go shopping with me? Finally!” but he was nothing but a bubbly kid.

“Maybe you will eventually forget this when you go back.”

“You know I hate it when I know that I’m the only one who can comprehend your Korean yet I’m still having a hard time understanding you,” he was giggling like a child yet trembling for the words he just heard.

He took one last deep breathe, gathered the strength to let go of the only hand he wanted to hold, bit his lip and looked at Heechul’s face. It was so serene, yet a bit clueless.

“Heechul,” saying his name made his knees weak. It was perfect for his gentle voice. He was even amazed on the way he said it.

He held onto his hands again. Heechul held back as tight as he can, for he finally sensed that there is something peculiar with his Chinaman.

“Make it easy if you are breaking up with me. Just say it. Anyway, I’m not going to mention that I almost risked my life coming to China to live with you. Just tell me. And I’ll leave as early as I can. I’ll have to buy a plane ticket back to Korea first. Then I will stay over my parents’ house for a couple of weeks before I explain everything to Manager hyung and apologize. Apologize! I still have to apologize to Leeteuk hyung and everyone. As you know, I ditched them in the middle of promotions. But then, if they won’t accept me, I can still apply as Trax’ drummer. You see, I’m nailing my drum skills lately and—”

“Sshh,” it feels good everytime he stops Kim Heechul’s word vomit for he’s one of the few who can actually stop him.

He managed to break a faint smile that wanted to turn into a small laugh. But he can’t, for he remembered that time is running out of them.

There’s a lump in his throat that keeps him from saying everything. This is harder than he thought it would be. But he must be the stronger one for the both of them.

“I will definitely miss you,” he managed these few words and got a blank stare for a response. So he went on while still holding Heechul’s feminine-like hands. He slid his body against the bench to sit closer to him. Now, he can feel his warm breathing. Words are still lost for him to make it easier as Heechul wished. He was preoccupied with thinking that he just felt Heechul’s fragile skin against his. He unconsciously hugged Heechul. And it felt a thousand times better. Then tender words came out.

“You must live a happy and healthy life. Continue to do everything that you want. Do not be so short-tempered. Get marry and have pretty children and grandchildren. Just be happy. You can talk to me anytime you feel like to, I’ll always listen..but never ask me to come back,” he ended it with his lips pressing against Heechul’s pale cheeks.

His ears sting from the meanest words he heard. Heechul refrain himself from sobbing. He knew that what Geng said will never happen. This must be the end he thought. How can he go on? How can he be dumped so easily? He is cold and dizzy and his insides felt like torn apart, when suddenly..

“Ahh Geng..my hands..” he can almost see the ground through his hands.

“Do not be afraid. I told you it’s time for you to go back. It’s not yet your time. People are waiting for you.”

Heechul tried to escape Geng’s arms. But the more he move, the more he seemed to fade.

“Please settle down. Let me hug you while this last.”

“Geng! This would make sense if you can tell what the is going on.”

Geng can sense Heechul’s fear that he won’t admit.

“Everything will be fine. I promise.”

He can barely see his shoulders so he grabbed his face and pressed a gentle kiss on Heechul’s moist lips. They both shut their eyes and just sink to the moment. He felt a warm tear against his cheek and uttered “I love you” before Heechul vanished completely.




Heechul woke up on an unfamiliar place. His nose stings from the scent of hospital alcohol. He can barely move from the contraptions attached to him and bandages that covered his wounds and bruises. It was a familiar scene with a heavier feeling. He woke up to another nightmare. He squeezed his eyes shut hoping that when he opened them again, he would be back to his spring date. But he failed; he was still on his hospital gown. Finally, the Manager approached him asking him questions that he barely comprehends. He only knows his head is spinning and his world is crashing down. He noticed the manager calling for aide, panicked when he did not respond. He held onto his Manager’s arms, “Leeteuk, I need Leeteuk hyung.”

The manager called on Leeteuk. He came as soon as he possibly can, still wearing his costume from Music Core. It was painful to look at Heechul. He stood beside the bed and took all the guts to speak. He knew Heechul will insist what he want and he didn’t want to argue with him anymore, so he spoke.

“You left in the middle of promotions. You ditched your schedule. It was raining hard that night. You only told us that you should have done this the first time he asked you to live with him in China. He flew all the way back here and picked you up from the dorm. The manager was arguing with you, making you stay. Insisting you finish the contract to avoid further scandals for the group. The manager chased the car he was driving. He said that there was another car that drove past his and back and forth the other lanes. That drunken bastard. It crashed on the car you were both in. The manager pulled over. Ran through the rain and got you out of the car before it burned.”