Love.

Love Forever.

 

Kyuhyun wearily eyed the hostages filing in before him. How many people had he killed in this past few months? Kyuhyun had already lost count. He lazily cocked his gun, firing at once at the people in front of him with their backs facing him, hand tied at their backs. They fell like dominos, and since the execution was done in water, only splashes could be heard, though once in a while Kyuhyun would hear cries of pain and anguish. Kyuhyun was already used to all this.

 When the war just started and Kyuhyun was assigned to the firing squad, he used to have nightmares and would wake up, sweating buckets, with those screams still ringing in his ears. Now, you could say he was immune to them already. Sure, once in a while, when a hostage begged and pleaded for Kyuhyun to take mercy on him, and being killed on the spot by Kyuhyun’s comrade, he would hear their accusing voices haunting his dreams, cursing him in his head.

However, that is all in the past. Currently, Kyuhyun is just an emotionless body, killing without a single flinch. It wasn’t as though he had a choice. It was orders. Just when, Kyuhyun asked himself, when will this all stop? Kyuhyun watched with disinterest as yet again, the last row of hostages for the day filed in. This time, one of them caught his eye.

This guy had messy black hair, with a rather muscular build. It looked a little disproportionate as he had a petite body. His eyes were rather small but Kyuhyun knew that they could pierce through your soul. His hands were so small that it seems like he could wriggle out of the binds anytime.  His lips were thick but parched due to the lack of water. This person, Kyuhyun would recognize anywhere, no matter how unkempt he looked.

~

It was of another time, though yet similar, in another war. This war had taken place with another country, unlike now. Kyuhyun and Jongwoon were in the same unit, trained to attack and kill with precision. They were currently resting in their temporary camp, the enemy had only just backed down, and there were other people to cover for them. The whole camp was bustling with activity, with officers shouting at their soldiers and the constant gunshots that were heard not far away.

Jongwoon had 2 cups of coffee in his hands. Don’t ask him why, he had only asked for one, but the serving officer who was in a hurry gave him two saying “You’ll need it to keep awake.” It was probably just an excuse to get that cup off his hands, as after that he rushed off into the main tent where the leaders were holding an important meeting.

He walked towards those foldable tables and saw a man with brown hair, with his head down resting on his arms. He faintly recognized him as another man in his unit and although it wasn’t time to make friends, Jongwoon sat across him and lightly tapped him on the arm.

“Do you want a cup of coffee?” Jongwoon asked with a polite smile.

Kyuhyun sat up and Jongwoon was stunned. He had the most beautiful eyes ever, even though it was half open and hazy. Those chocolate brown eyes, almost the same colour as his hair, made his heart thump and his breath hitch.

“No thank you. I prefer tea.” the breathtaking man said.

Jongwoon didn’t know why he did it, he could leave the conversation at that, but he had to add on and say “My name is Jongwoon. We’re in the same unit, right?”

“Yeah, I’ve seen you around before. My name is Kyuhyun,” and he gave such a dazzling smile that Jongwoon thought could rival with the sun.

And their relationship blossomed from there. It was fate, really, because somehow they were regrouped and Jongwoon and Kyuhyun found themselves partners. Jongwoon tried not to smile when he found out about this. It’s not every time you get paired up with some hot guy that can shoot the bull’s eye dead centre.

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun became inseparable after that. It may or may not be due to the fact that they needed to spend time together to plan to attack, but one thing is for sure, that there is an attraction towards the other. In the day, they plotted and schemed to bring the enemy down, and at night, Kyuhyun would wrap Jongwoon in his arms, should Jongwoon miss his family too much.  It wasn’t even surprising that they would fall in love with each other.

Jongwoon realized how much he felt for the other man when one of the enemy bullets hit Kyuhyun in the stomach. Kyuhyun fell as though in slow motion, Jongwoon almost screaming his name. He felt a surge of anger and fired relentlessly at the enemy, not caring if he got hurt in the process. And after that he threw down his gun, ran towards Kyuhyun and carried him to the nearest makeshift hospital. As he ran, Kyuhyun started talking.

“Hyung, do you know you look very beautiful now? Is it because I’m dying?”

“No you idiot. I have always been beautiful. Will you shut up and save your breath?”

“I can’t, hyung. I’m scared I will never be able to talk to you again.”

Jongwoon’s eyes watered but he kept on running without a falter in his steps. His voice was unsteady though.

“Don’t… Don’t think that way Kyu. You will be okay.”

“Hyung… will you promise me something? Promise me you will love me. Either in life or death, promise me that you will love me and take care of me.”

Jongwoon tears fell and landed on Kyuhyun’s face.

“Is it raining, hyung? Is that a good sign?”

Jongwoon wanted to cry and collapse so badly. Normally it would be Kyuhyun taking care of him. Kyuhyun would be his pillar of strength. He didn’t expect Kyuhyun to be his weakness too.

“I promise. I promise I will love you. I love you I love you I love you…..” Jongwoon keep on repeating it over and over, hoping by some chance, Kyuhyun would survive and he would be able to love Kyuhyun even longer.

Kyuhyun smiled weakly and he continued to talk. He talked about his family, loving and caring, and wondered what would happen to them should he leave. He talked about how he disliked his sister’s boyfriend, even though he was sweet to her, he just didn’t like how dirty he always is. He talked about Ryeowook, the cook, and how much he loved his food. He even talked about Jungsu, the umma of the camp, and how much he would always take care of Kyuhyun.

Jongwoon finally reached the hospital. Before Kyuhyun was lifted from his arms and into the operating ‘room’, Kyuhyun whispered a soft “I love you too, hyung” and it made Jongwoon finally fall to his knees, crying out for Kyuhyun.

But that was already over. Kyuhyun miraculously recovered, the doctors equally baffled to why and how Kyuhyun could recover so quickly and successfully. They even wanted to study Kyuhyun and maybe they could make some medical discovery, to be able to cure and treat patients in a blink of an eye.  Kyuhyun declined no matter how much they pleaded, he didn’t want all those needles sticking into him yet again. He didn’t even want the surgical knife a metre near his body.

As for Jongwoon and Kyuhyun, well, let’s just say they are now a couple. If previously they were inseparable, now they are practically glued together. If you see Kyuhyun anywhere and anytime, Jongwoon would always be by his side. They looked so loving and compatible that even homophobias had to begrudgingly admit they looked good together. They worked even better, bringing down the enemy with just a few precise shots and returning to camp unscathed. Thus they became the top shooters in the camp, this being the reason to why the leaders said nothing about their relationship. (Come on, they can take you down with just one shot. Who wouldn’t be scared should you just provoke them?)

When the war ended with the leaders of their countries calling a truce, Jongwoon and Kyuhyun couldn’t be more elated. Both their lifes would no longer be in danger and they could live a normal one without the mortal peril. Both returned to visit their respective families, and promised to meet each other in a few months. Technology was not advanced then and travelling to the opposite ends of the country needed time a long time. With that promise, both returned to their families and had a happy reunion with them.

It may seem like the perfect ending with only their meet up as the sequel, but that was not to be. The leaders of the country had split into two groups, one wanting equality for all, while the other preferred individual rights. Both did not want to give in to the other, and thus the country split as well and war was yet again declared, this time with each other.

And as fate perceives, Kyuhyun and Jongwoon had to be opposing each other. Kyuhyun dragged his feet to the horrid camp yet again, his only comfort being the fact that Jongwoon would be there as well. And then it suddenly hit him. Wasn’t Jongwoon at the opposite side of the country? Then… Jongwoon would be his enemy this time, wasn’t it? Kyuhyun gasped at the realization, the promise of them meeting again melting away, and Kyuhyun hoped with desperation that he would never meet Jongwoon ever again, at least until the war was over. Even then, he didn’t want to look for Jongwoon, fearing that he would no longer be in this world.

This brings us back to the beginning, where Kyuhyun saw this unkempt man before him.  This man is Jongwoon, and even though he looked dirty and unwanted, Kyuhyun loves him. Jongwoon lifted his head up and locked eyes with his executor, and as much he wanted to run to him, he couldn’t help but feel grateful enough that he at least got to see Kyuhyun before he died. Maybe it was even better that Kyuhyun was his executor. He would do it fast and quick, and Jongwoon would not feel any pain before he left.

There was no chance that Kyuhyun would not kill Jongwoon. Both of them knew that. And thus, Jongwoon just looked away from Kyuhyun, sloshed his way into the water with his back facing Kyuhyun, closing his eyes. In his head, he was chanting “I love you I love you I love you”, trying not to cry and just be happy. Behind him, Kyuhyun was in an equal state, chanting the same thing in his head, hoping that somehow Jongwoon would be able to hear it.

He took down the some other hostages before aiming at Jongwoon.

And he finally fired.

This time, it was Jongwoon’s turn to fall, as though in slow motion. He fell with a splash and Kyuhyun resisted running to him before his other comrades went away, and when they did, he rushed forward, turning Jongwoon’s wet body over to face him.

Kyuhyun knew where he hit Jongwoon. He would still be conscious and the adrenaline would numb the pain, but Jongwoon wouldn’t survive. 

“Hyung, I’m sorry…” Kyuhyun sobbed, not caring that his whole body was wet.

Jongwoon gave a slight smile and reached up slowly to caress his cheek, and just whispered “I love you” before his eyes closed for the last time.

Kyuhyun’s tears fell into the water, making soft dripping sounds and small ripples in it. He shakily laid a kiss on Jongwoon forehead, whispering the three words back to Jongwoon.

And he stood up, staring at Jongwoon’s peaceful face. At least, Kyuhyun reassured himself, at least he was safe up there.  

What Kyuhyun didn’t know, however, was that one person was watching him. Kyuhyun suddenly heard a gunshot being fired and his head turned around, only to see his comrade holding a gun pointing it at him, before the bullet shot into his body. Ironic, Kyuhyun thought, as he was the same person that helped Kyuhyun kill those people begging and pleading with him.

He fell face forward, straight onto Jongwoon’s body.

“At least we will be together now,” Kyuhyun whispered into Jongwoon’s ear, as though he could hear it.

And the last thing Kyuhyun saw was the sapphire blue water, washing away the blood and tears calmly but surely.

They both did not know that this day was the date that they had both planned to meet each other yet again, and that the promise had been fulfilled. It could be a good thing or a bad thing, but one thing is for sure, that their love for each other goes beyond life or death.

~

Kyuhyun entered a café opposite his new school. He had just started a new chapter of his life at college, and the workload was just horrendous. Kyuhyun came to this café to rewind before going back to his hectic study life. The bell chimes on the door ringed with a nice sound, indicating that someone had just entered the door.

Yesung looked up. This was his café, a café that he had slogged his guts out to rent and renovate, and he was more than happy to have customers. He walked over to where Kyuhyun had just sat down, hoping that this person would become a regular.

When Yesung saw Kyuhyun, instead of asking the normal “What do you want to drink?” he had the impulse to say something else.

“Do you want a cup of coffee?

“No thank you. I prefer tea.”

Both of them could not understand the feeling of déjà vu that washed over their bodies.

And everything starts again, this time in another century, without the mortal peril. A normal life, as both of them previously wished for.