Turn Back

Nightfall

 

With all our hard work and perseverance in the past few years, graduation had finally come. It is the time for reflecting the past and to look forward to our future. High school was really full of mysteries, epic fails and of course – love stories.

That’s why they say that high school’s the best part and they were right. High school is not just about burden or pain, it’s about the lessons that you’ve learned all throughout the day which we can use in the true battle field called life.

Graduation is not just about goodbyes. It’s about brand new hellos and journeys that lie ahead. But at this point, it’s the perfect time to say goodbye, tell the things we never had confessed to anyone, and to share the deepest stories we had kept for years – if you know what I mean?

 

Everyone watched Sulli as she goes back to her seat after giving her valedictorian speech. Everybody gave her a round of applause, apart from one, her best friend, Soojung. And it’s all just because of one reason:  her valedictorian speech was about her.

Yes, she knows that she never really told anyone about her love story and her feelings that she kept for years, but does it matter? It’s already graduation. Nothing will change anyway.

Not before long, memories started to flash into Soojung’s mind.

“Hey, I heard there’s a new guy in school. Did you see him already? They said that he’s really good-looking and he’s definitely hot. They said his name is Jongin. Uhm... Kim Jongin.” Sulli said, as she applied some powder in her face.

“I heard his name but I’m never had seen him and nobody cares if he’s hot, cute or not. You know what you should do? Study. Come on Ms. Valedictorian.” Soojung said, convincing her best friend, poking her shoulders.

“Alright, alright, alright. No need to be in a hurry. What if he’ll see me? Gosh, I really need to place lipstick, eyeliner, foundation, blush on, eye shadow and – and – and”

“And what?” She asked, casting a stern look.

“And a fake eyelashes.” She said, sending off a smirk.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now let’s go, you flirt!” She said, beaming behind her back while pushing her towards the exit of the room.

“How dare you! No, I’m not!” She claimed, trying to stop Soojung from getting out of the room.

Snapping back to reality, Soojung can’t help herself from smiling. Yes, he was just their spazzing thing before but everything changed. She doesn’t know what happened or how it happened but now, no matter what she does.

She can’t run away from him. She can’t keep her feelings for him and even though she tries her best to forget him, it doesn’t work.

Watching him from afar, Soojung remembered the first time they met.

Walking down the hallway, Soojung was pretty busy with all their upcoming exams. She forgot about studying at home since she needed to help her mother in the café shop.

She was definitely exhausted for working day and night. She needs to go to her school and she needs to go there and work too. Every day was the same but the best about Soojung is no matter how hard it is, you’ll never get any complain from her. She’ll just do her work right away.

Suddenly, her wallet dropped and she didn’t even notice. Jongin saw that she’s totally in a hurry. He picked up the wallet and there’s nothing much actually, apart from one: a man’s picture. Probably, in his 40s or 50s.

He tried to approach her saying, “Hey! Ms! You dropped your wallet.” But she didn’t even notice him. She just continued on her pavements.

Soojung, on the other hand, went to the library to study. She wants to pass her final exam; she needs to pass that final exam. Since her dad left, her mom was expecting a lot from her. Her father said that he’d come back for her but he never did.

From that day on, she gave herself some promises to keep. She’ll take care of her mother and work hard even more to reach for her dreams and to find her dad.

All the pressure was placed above her head. She can’t fail her mom or her dad or herself.

Her mom was really working hard for her to study at Daeyoung University. She entered three jobs in the morning, afternoon and in the night. They barely see each other.

That’s why sometimes; she goes to that café shop to help her mom serving the tables. It’s like hitting two birds with one stone, she has the chance to talk to her mom and gain extra money for her allowance.

Her best friend was a lot different from her. She’s a free spirited kind of girl. She’s a bratty princess. She gets what she wants. Boys – clothes – fame – fortune. Name it and she has it.

Soojung thinks it’s unfair. She’s the only one who’s working hard for every single cent that she has right now. She needs to work twice as hard that anyone does. She needs to prove others and herself that she can do this.

But Sulli? With one snap, she has it. About her studies? She doesn’t study at home. But what is she? She’s the valedictorian of the class and Soojung the salutatorian.

Soojung’s always the second in the rank. Sometimes, she wonders if she had the same money as Sulli has. Will she also be like her? Can she have what Sulli has right now?

These were the questions that cross her mind every time.

After their classes, Soojung finally had the chance to get some rest. It’s weekend. But at least, she has a night to sleep soundly.

She looked inside her pocket her wallet’s lost.  She was panicking. She opened her bag and searched deeper. Her wallet’s gone. She can’t lose it. All of her savings is there but for her, it’s okay to starve but what she really needs is the picture inside her wallet. Her one and only memory about her father.

The sun left the skies and stars replaced. It was already late at night, dim light surrounding the streets.

“Uh… Miss.” A voice uttered softly from behind.

“Where is it? Where is it?” She uttered, tears were forming in her eyes.

“Miss?” He uttered once again.

“What!?” She shouted. She’s already panicking and now someone’s bothering her.

“Is there something wrong?” He asked.

“Something wrong?! Can’t you see? I’m already crying! Now, you’re asking me if there’s something wrong?! Are you stupid or what?!” She said, sobbing.

“I’m sorry, I just wanted to help.” He apologized, scratching his temples wondering what did her do.

“I’m sorry for being rude. It’s just that I lost my wallet and I can’t go home. I don’t have any money for the bus and this school is a two hour walk from Daeyoung and I – I just don’t know what to do.” Her voice cracked.

“I can give you a ride. Don’t worry. I’m not a or anything. I’m a student too. So do you want a ride?” He asked, giving her a warm smile.

She didn’t have a choice. She agreed to take a ride with him in his car and they had their little conversation.

“I’m Jongin.” He introduce himself, smiling at her once again.

Hearing the word ‘Jongin’, it seems very familiar but she can’t remember who. Hence, she realized that he was the Jonging Sulli was talking about.

“The uh... new student from Paris?” She asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Yes, how did you know?” He asked.

“You’re uh... pretty popular to my best friend.” She replied. Then she told herself, ‘You’re her new prospect, actually.’

“Oh,” He said, chuckling, “How about to you?”

“I’m not into guys... so… no.” She replied honestly.

“Well that’s too bad. I find you cute.” He complimented her.

Her eyes widened. Me c-cute? She asked herself. No page from her life’s story that a man ever said she’s cute. He’s the first and she’s hoping that he’s not the last.

She just smiled at him awkwardly though it doesn’t quite work.

“Wait? What’s with the wallet thing?” He said.

“My allowance and my father’s photo.” She replied, sighing.

Photo? He suddenly remembered the wallet that he picked up in the morning. He got it from his pocket and handed it to her.

“Is this yours? I found this a while ago. A girl was in a hurry then she dropped her wallet near my locker so I picked it up. I tried to call her but she didn’t look back. I didn’t recognize her. Is this your wallet?” He uttered.

“Y-Yes! That’s it! That’s my wallet!” She said cheerfully.  She gave her wallet a tight grip and a tight hug. “Thank you! Thank you very much!”

“You’re welcome.” He replied, his eyes were meeting hers. She can’t stop herself from blushing and to smile back. He is cute like what Sulli said. And he had his own charms.

“Wait, here we are.” She said, grabbing her bag and placing her wallet inside it. She opened the door and stepped out of the car but before she did it completely. He held her hand and asked, “Wait, what’s your name?”

“Soojung. Jung Soojung.”