We Will Stay Together

We Will Stay Together

 

As Shindong talked about his leaving from Super Junior, Kyuhyun could not believe his ears. Why all of a sudden? Plus, they had just started preparing for Don’t Don promotions. Was it all going to go down the drain? The whole of Super Junior already was relieved from the fact that their maknae was going to live, and that he would still be able to be part of Super Junior. But now this. Why now? When Kyuhyun had just returned and everything had just settled down. When Kyuhyun had just slightly recovered from that life-threatening accident. What was Kyuhyun supposed to do, to say, to think? He had even started activities with Super Junior before he fully recovered, though that was mostly because he couldn’t stand staying in the hospital with nothing to do, while the rest of Super Junior continued to fight and beg for appearances in shows. But this is totally unexpected. What is this. What in the world is this?!

Kyuhyun couldn’t help the tears that started cascading down his checks. His mind was in turmoil, not sure to laugh or to cry. The thought of Shindong, the laughter of Super Junior, leaving was just absurd. What would Super Junior be without any of them? Kyuhyun wanted to scream, and was trying extremely hard not to shout at Heechul and Kangin to shut up.

The last straw came when Shindong started provoking Eunhyuk and Ryeowook. He couldn’t understand why Shindong wanted to do it and his anger flared. They always treated Shindong as one of them, without him it was an empty and boring Super Junior. Why did Shindong want to say such impossible and hurtful words? It stabbed straight into his heart. He could not stop the words that starting flowing from his mouth.

“I’m sorry, but what is this? My body has not been feeling well , and I know we are all tired from promotions, but what is happening now? Why are we all thinking about ourselves, and not our team? I’m really sorry to say this, but really….”

Words failed him and the whole of Super Junior lapsed into silence. Kyuhyun just silently cried and hoped and wished that this was just a nightmare, that he was just dreaming and he would wake up in the dorms, with everything back to normal. They would be the happy Super Junior, where nothing can break them apart…..

Yesung turned to the side with a soft expression in his eyes, wondering if Kyuhyun was alright. Didn’t Kyuhyun know about this? It seems like he hadn’t, with those tears flowing freely from his eyes, sniffling hardly, trying to control the sobs attempting to wreck his body. He badly wanted to go over and comfort Kyuhyun, but he had a job to do.

Kyuhyun was so caught up with his musings that he did not see Yesung and Sungmin walking towards Ryeowook and Eunhyuk, openly attempting to collect their tears. The atmosphere was still solemn, but it had a weird feeling to it…

Suddenly, Shindong started laughing. “They collected the tears!” Kyuhyun looked up with bloodshot eyes, wondering if he had really gone insane. Laughter was heard from every corner of the room and Kyuhyun was still lost, wondering what was happening…. Was he imagining all this? As Heechul and Shindong started explaining, reality sunk in. This is all not real…. It was just a joke, a prank….

The first feeling that Kyuhyun felt was anger. Seriously?! How can they joke about all this? It really isn’t funny at all, it made him cry! Whats worse, in front of a CAMERA. (Okay, maybe not in front, but there was a camera there….not that he knew in the first place….) Kyuhyun wanted to murder all his hyungs for causing unnecessary stress to him, what’s more he wasn’t fully recovered! He furiously rubbed his tears away, not wanting to show any more weakness.

The second feeling he felt was relief. At least it wasn’t real… It was just a nightmare that the hyungs decided to pull on them. Super Junior will be happy and will stay together forever…. Like this, his anger dissipated and he laughed together with the hyungs. He looked up, seeing Leeteuk tearing at the moving scene in front of him, seeing Kangin with a sheepish smile, apologetic for his words. Hearing Heechul’s crazy laugh, then exclaiming that Eunhyuk’s fans would cuss at him yet again for bullying Eunhyuk. It feels so familiar. Kyuhyun felt warmth throughout his body, feeling like this is where he belonged, in this team, this family.

Well, the warmth was not only from inside his body, but outside as well. Arms were wrapped around his body, linked to 2 small baby-sized hands. Hands that he would recognize only too well, which he always stared at before falling into slumber in his temporary room. Yesung gave him a tight hug before releasing him with a smile on his face, though with a concerned look in his eyes. There was too many questions Yesung wanted to ask, but he summarized it all into a simple “Are you okay?”

Kyuhyun gave a slight nod, and coughed a little to rid his voice of phlegm that had accumulated due to the crying. Yesung seems satisfied enough with that answer, and he started walking towards Ryeowook, checking to make sure that he was alright too.

As the laughter and crying died down, dinner resumed on a lighter note, a true celebration for the end on 2007. Everyone was merry and happy and laughing at the slightest joke, seemingly to have forgotten everything that had happened. But of course they hadn’t. When they reached back to the dorms, Leeteuk called a meeting.

They switched off the lights and lighted candles while they talked. It may seem romantic, but it was more of a bonding session, a time to understand each other better. It was also a time of endless promises to stay together under the name of Super Junior. They talked about almost everything, from Kyuhyun’s health and how he was coping with his schedules, even to Eunhyuk’s foot smell that can kill a dog should it just approach them.

Kyuhyun smiled weakly as the rest of Super Junior talked. He was tired already, probably from all the crying that took place. Did it even happen just a few hours ago? It felt like he had cried a day ago. But he didn’t want to sleep. He was too afraid that he would wake up with Super Junior in pieces. He rather sacrifice his sleep and be constantly reassured by the members that they will stay together through thick and thin.

In the wee hours of the morning, they finally called it a day. (Literally.) Kyuhyun had already downed 2 cups of coffee, even though he hated that stuff, and was finally dragged into his room by Yesung. But he still couldn’t and didn’t want to sleep.

Yesung wanted to hit the maknae for being so reluctant to sleep. Though it may or may not be his fault, maybe the coffee was too strong for him. But still. His body needed sleep to recover properly and Kyuhyun was not doing it a favour. Yesung finally went to the kitchen to get some sleeping pills, hoping that Kyuhyun would get a good night’s (scratch that, it’s already day) rest. It was a good thing that their schedules started in the late afternoon. It was rare, but lucky for them. 

“Hyung. Please, I don’t want to sleep.” Kyuhyun whined, eyeing the sleeping pills with distaste.

“You need it, Kyu. Maybe you don’t want it, but your body needs it. Why are you so unwilling to sleep all of a sudden?”

Kyuhyun pressed his lips into a thin line as the yellow-coloured medicine was brought near his mouth. He childishly turned his head to the side, pushing the small hands that were holding them away from him. Yesung tsked and placed them on the bedside table, finally sitting down next to Kyuhyun.

“Kyu, spit it out. What’s wrong.”

Kyuhyun heaved a sigh and looked at Yesung. “What if all this is a dream, Hyung? What if I wake up and Shindong hyung has left, Heechul hyung and Kangin hyung are still quarrelling, and Leeteuk hyung is crying?”

“Kyu, you know that it’s not possible. I’m here. You’re here. This is reality, Kyu. Super Junior will always be together.”

“But hyung, what if one day one of us decides to leave? What about army? No matter what, we will break apart one day. No matter what, Super Junior will be incomplete one day.” Kyuhyun’s eyes watered yet again.

Yesung used his fingers to wipe away those tears that almost fell and hugged Kyuhyun, burying him in his chest, wanting no more than to protect this vulnerable Kyuhyun and hide him from the horrors of the world.

“That maybe true, but no matter what our hearts will always be together. We may part, but Super Junior will live on. Don’t forget our fans too, they are too protective of us for their own good,” Yesung chuckled.

“But hyung…”

“Shh. No more, Kyu. I promise you that I will stay by your side, okay? No matter what I will be here. I will try my very best to never break this promise. I will never leave you.”

Kyuhyun suddenly felt very warmth and calm. It was as though this promise was just the remedy to his insecurities, and he felt protected and loved. Kyuhyun smiled unknowingly and muttered “Thank you, hyung” into Yesung’s muscled chest.

“Okay, so will you sleep now?”

Kyuhyun nodded his head in Yesung’s chest and soon sat up straight, before promptly crawling under his covers.

“Hyung, if you keep staring at me, how am I supposed to sleep?”

Yesung gave a sheepish grin before getting up, and gave Kyuhyun a one armed hug before leaving the room. With that promise in mind, Kyuhyun fell asleep, dreaming of performances with all thirteen of them in it, with Super Junior rising to stardom.