Howon

His Type

I rule the school. All girls want to be my friend and all the guys want to be my boyfriend. That is, all but the one that matters. Howon. For some reason he isn't interested in me. I walked into school and everyone gathered around and said their hellos to me. Then they all made room for Dongwoo to come through.

“Hey beautiful.” he said and put his arm around my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes and shoved off his arm and started to walk through the halls, him following.

“Dongwoo, I ended it with you.” I said.

“I know you did. But I'm here to ask you a favor.” he said.

“Talk.” I said.

He put his arm around my shoulders once again while he asked me to get my friend Nicole to agree to go out with his friend Myungsoo.

“We'll see.” I told him.

That's when I saw Howon coming. I pushed Dongwoo to the side and went up to him.

“Hi there Oppa.” I said.

He just looked at me seeming to wonder why I was talking to him. I waited for him to say something back. He didn't. So I continued.

“Are you ready for the test today?” I asked.

“I guess.” he said then walked away.

Why didn't he like me? Why? What was I doing wrong? For the rest of the day he acted like I didn't exist. What was his problem?

The next day was the same with the greeting and Dongwoo wondering about his favor.

“I'm getting to it.” I told him.

This time when I saw Howon I asked what his deal was. I asked him why he didn't like me. Why he didn't greet me like everyone else. His reply shocked me.

“Your just not my type.” he said.

I stood there frozen in place and watched him walk away. That was it. It was as simple as I wasn't his type. If I wasn't his type, then who was? Then I saw a hand waving in front of my face and I snapped out of the trance that I was in.

“Is there a reason that your standing here like statue?” Sungyeol asked.

He was a friend of Dongwoo. We weren't exactly friends ourselves though.

“Howon says I'm not his type. Can you believe that?” I asked.

“Yeah, I can. I saw his last girlfriend. I sort of became friends with her. You are the complete opposite.”

I grabbed Sungyeol by the collar of his shirt.

“Tell me everything you know.” I demanded of him.

We walked to my locker and he told me about Howon's last girlfriend. She was smart, she was into reading and she volunteered at a day care center.

“That's totally me.” I said.

Sungyeol looked at me in disbelief and started to laugh his head off. I smacked his arm and he quieted down.

“You've never volunteered. You pay people to read you the book and do your work for you.”

“Actually, I love to read.” I said.

Sungyeol started to laugh again. He thanked me for the joke and then went and joined his friend Sungjong who was passing by. I sighed and continued to my class by myself.

That night I laid down in my bed and read one of my favorite book over. I wasn't kidding when I told Sungyeol that I loved to read. The thing is, people that love to read, they aren't considered cool at my school. To be at the top, you have to be pretty, have a bit of money to your name (the more the better), and you can't love school. You just do it. Getting excited over the book you have to read is basically social suicide.

I lied to everyone to stay on top. I have the money. I have the looks. I just had to say that reading wasn't that cool. Then bam! I was on the top. The volunteering however, I've never done it before. Maybe it was time to do so. It was the weekend after all. This weekend I'll become Howon's type of girl. Then on Monday, I'll surprise him with my change in showing my true self. Then hopefully he'll surprise me with a kiss.

I found a nearby day care center on line and wrote the address and hours down. I went their the next morning after I had some lunch and was surprised how big it was.

“This is a day care center?” I asked the lady at the front.

“Yes. The best in the business. How may I help you?”

“I'd like to sign up to volunteer.”

“Are you good with kids?”

“Yes?” I said more in form of a question.

“You don't seem to sure. However, we are short a few people today. So I'll have our best guy show you the ropes. What's your name?”

“Zoey.” I said.

She gave me little volunteer name tag sticker with my name on it then sent me on my way. I was supposed to ask around for someone named Hoya. I walked into the inside playground like at a McDonalds and a a little girl came up to me.

“You don't look like you belong here.” she said.

“What makes you say that?” I asked.

She pointed to my shoes.

“You have high heels.”

The girl ran off and I rolled my eyes. I took off my shoes and carried them in my hand as I walked around trying to find this Hoya guy. I went up to one of the male volunteers and asked if he was Hoya.

“No, he is in the back. He's teaching right now.”

“He's teaching? What?”

“Dance. He's very good at it. A bunch of the little ones want to put on a show so he is helping them put on this show. They practice every day for an hour.”

I looked around at all the kids in this room alone.

“So you mean there is more then this?” I asked.

The guy chuckled.

“Yes. Did you see the size of this building? We look after many children.”

I nodded then went off to the back. I heard music and followed the sound until I reached a door and knocked. The music stopped and soon the door opened and my eyes shot out seeing Howon. Here. Standing in front of me.

“Your Hoya?” I asked.

“Zoey? What are you doing here?” he asked.

The little kids in the room ooo-ed at us and Howon (who's also Hoya?) told them to behave while he talked to me. Howon shut the door behind him and we sat down at some colorful benches a foot away.

“Why does everyone here call you Hoya?” I asked.

“It's just a nickname the kids here came up with. I never thought I'd see you come to this place. What brings you here?”

“I came to help the little things.”

A little boy then came up to me crying.

“Someone took my power rangers.” he said and then hugged my leg.

“Kid, give me a minute.” I said.

“His name is Yoogeun. He loves power rangers.” Howon said.

He got off the bench and grabbed Yoogeun's hand.

“Come on, let's go find your power rangers.” he said.

The two started to walk off and I just left my shoes there and went after them.

“Wait, let me help.” I said.

Howon smirked.

“Can you handle it?” he asked.

“Just watch.” I said.

I helped get Yoogeun his power rangers back then I helped two girls fighting over a stuffed animal. I was able to spend the day in heaven. The whole day I was with Howon and he showed me how things worked.

“Your actually good with kids.” he said.

I gave a light laugh.

“And your surprised? I love kids.”

“So that's why you called them things earlier?”

We both laughed as we excited the day care center. We headed down the street to the coffee shop right down the block. I noticed a book store with a sign for a new book. It wasn't just a new book. It was one I've been waiting for. The next in a series I'm reading.

“We have to go in there.” I said.

Without noticed it, I had linked arms with him. Ready to bring him to the bookstore against his will if necessary.

“No way it's finally out!” he said.

“Wait, you like that series too?” I asked.

“You like it?” he asked.

“Love it.” I said.

We both smiled at each other. Could today get any better?

“I thought you hated books.” he said as I was staring into his wonderful eyes.

“How can I? There amazing!”

Howon's smile got bigger as he took me across the street and into the book store with our arms still linked together. It was like a candy store for us. We each got our own copy of the new book. I picked up a few other books and so did Howon. We spent an hour or two in the store discussing books both good and bad. More of the good and very few of the bad.

When we left, the sun had gone down making it a little chilly outside. Howon, being the gentleman he is, took of his jacket and let me wear it as he walked me home.

“I just wanted to let you know that this Zoey, the who loves books, dared to volunteered, and was herself today; I like her. She's much better then the one I see at school.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Yeah. If you stay like this even at school, then I might just have to ask you out soon.”

My eyes grew wider.

“Really?” I asked again.

Didn't I know how to say anything else? Howon gave me a smile and a nod. He kissed my forehead before leaving me outside my house. I hugged my books in happiness. The real me was his type! I realized I still had his jacket and smiled even more. He could get it back when he asks me out on that date.