Match Made

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Freshman Year

 

“______-ah!”

I looked up from my shoes and beamed when I saw him waving at me. The gates opened and he stepped out with a wide grin on his face.

Lee Byunghun, the king of dorks.

“You’re such a dork, Byung.” I laughed and started to walk.

“A dork that you love.” He replied with a wink.

I shook my head and silence took over us as we walked towards Seoul High School. A warm feeling took over my chest as I saw the black, open gates. It was a brand new year and I knew it was going to be amazing.

I looked around and couldn’t help but be stunned at the vastness of the school. Middle school was big but I guess high schools are much more extravagant.

“What are you standing there, all smiles? Are you thinking about a guy?” Byunghun asked as he squinted his eyes towards me.

When I didn’t answer, he started to panic.

“OH NO, PARK _____. YOU ARE NOT THINKING ANOTHER GUY WHEN THE HOTTEST ONE IS RIGHT NEXT TO YOU.”

I blinked at him and snorted. Byunghun’s narcissism was beyond my imagination. He gasped when I turned around and tried to look for the announcement board to see where my class was. When I saw a couple of students surrounding something, I knew where to go.

Of course, he was following me while muttering about certain things. Typical Byunghun.

Excusing myself, I looked for my name and checked my section and room. I smiled when another name was written right below mine.

“Are we classmates again?” A voice asked.

“Yup.”

“Well… We are a match made anyway.” Byunghun grinned.

 

After a few weeks of settling into the school, the class advisor told us we needed to join a club for extra-curricular points. Byunghun decided to try out for the basketball team. I was still hesitant to join a club but eventually decided on the journalism club. Surprisingly, they had a lot of members from the freshman year.

I guess it won’t be hard joining. I thought to myself.

“Won’t you go in?” A smiling guy asked me.

“Oh.. right.”

After settling myself, I found smiling guy standing in front of the students.

“Good afternoon everyone, my name is Lee Sungmin and I’m the president of the journalism club. I’m so glad to see a lot of you decided to join this year! Let’s all work hard, okay?” he finished with a pearly grin.

A lot of girls echoed with a ‘yes’. I had to bit myself from laughing too hard. So that’s why a lot joined. I was about to ask some questions when the door suddenly opened with a guy panting while raising his hand.

“I’m not late?” he asked loudly.

“No, Chanhee. Just in time. Take a seat.” President Sungmin said in the kindest way.

I wondered how he knew the new kid but quickly turned to listen again. He pulled the chair and sat beside me. He had been panting since he arrived I wondered if he had ran all over the school just to reach the club.

“He’s pretty cool, huh? For a guy to be a president of a club.” He mused.

I turned to him and saw him crossing his arms while intently looking at our president. Not knowing what to reply, I just nodded.

He uncrossed his arms and extended it towards me. I blinked at his hand and back at him.

“I’m Lee Chanhee but you can call me Chunji. Much cooler to listen.” He smiled widely.

I took his hand and shook it. For a guy, it was extremely soft. Probably softer than Byunghun’s.

“_____. Park ______.” I replied.

“Nice name. Friends?”

“Sure.” I smiled.

The meeting had already finished while we were exchanging names so we decided to head out. Chunji took his backpack and slung it over his shoulders while he waited for me.

We talked about middle school, writing and sports. I didn’t realize my name was being called until Byunghun stood in front of me with a large frown on his face.

“Oh! Byung, what’s up?”

“I was calling your name for millions of times. Apparently, you were busy… Hey! I know you!” Byunghun exclaimed while pointing to Chunji.

“You do?” I asked. “This is Chunji. He’s from my club. This is Byunghun.”

“Yeah. Wait— your club? I thought you were in the basketball team?” Byunghun asked.

“Nice to meet you, Byunghun. I’m on both clubs actually.” Chunji smiled.

Damn. Pearly white.

“Oh.” Byunghun replied. “We need to go. Ramen night!”

I laughed. We had this tradition since middle school to have ramen during Fridays of the first month. I nodded and turned to Chunji.

“It was meeting you, Chunji. I’ll see you around.” I waved at him and followed Byunghun who was already walking away from the gates. 

“See you around… Park ____.”

-o-o-o-

 

“So how was the basketball club?” I asked. We were sitting outside the veranda of my room waiting for the ramen to cook.

“Meh. Same old.” He replied with a shrug.

“Haven’t seen the cheerleaders yet?”

“You make me sound like a ert.” He grumbled.

“Aren’t you?” I smirked and opened the lid of my ramen.

“I am not! I told you those videos weren’t mine! I didn’t even know who sent it!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter