Marry You - Kai (Part 1)

EXO Scenarios & Requests

 

"Mari. Your father and I have been talking and we have something very important to discuss with you." 

             My mom and dad wanted to set me up with one of my dad's  company employees, Yixing. Apparently, he was from China and one of my dad's favourite employees. My dad had a lot of admiration for him, as he saw a younger version of himself in Yixing. Where do I come into this? Well Yixing no longer had a valid working visa to live in Korea, and if he didn't find one soon enough, he'd be kicked out of the country. Unless however, he obtained citizenship to South Korea. The easiest way to achieve this would be to marry a South Korean citizen. I, conviently a citizen of South Korea, was also the daughter of his boss, who would do anything to keep Yixing in South Korea and working for his company.

             I suppose a good daughter would've given in and gone along with my parents' wishes. I, however, do not consider myself a good daughter. My parents  think I'm attending classes at Seoul National University to get a Business Degree. But actually, I dropped out a couple months ago, and have only been modeling since. They know I model, but they think I only do it as a part time job. They also don't know that I've had a boyfriend for about a year and a half. Kai and I didn't have the smoothest beginning, and maybe we still didn't have the most perfect relationship, but we were happy. 

 
So, it was expected that they weren't very believing when I quickly spat out that I couldn't marry Yixing because I already have a boyfriend. 
 
My mom looked more amused than anything,"Oh, really now? How come we've never met him before?" 
 
            *Because you wouldn't approve of him.* I'd met Kai at a party. We both got really drunk, and ended up spending the rest of the night together. In his bed. I didn't see him for a couple weeks after that night, but found out later that he was a model too, when we shot an ad together. After that, we went on our first date, where I learned that he's actually a great guy. We've been together ever since. The main reason I hadn't introduced him to my parents is because Kai is a lot like me, in that he's, for lack of a better word, quite a free spirit. He didn't have much of a plan for what he'd be doing in the future - no university education, no stable career other than modeling (which is far from stable, although I can assure you, the guy's gorgeous). I knew my parents wouldn't support our relationship if they knew who he really was. "I...uh, was waiting for the right time to tell you guys." Why could I not think of a better excuse?
 
             "Honey, if you're just saying this to get out of marrying Yixing, don't worry. I can assure you he's a great guy. I think the two of you will actually suit each other quite well."
 
             "I'm not lying, Dad! I have a boyfriend, and actually he's already proposed to me, and I was gonna tell you guys later but I guess I have to tell you now." At this point, I really wasn't thinking straight. I was in panic mode and was spewing out anything to get out of marrying some stranger. I didn't realize the huge mess I'd just made for myself.
 
"Where's your ring?"
 
"Uh, it's at the jeweller's right now. It wasn't...shiny enough, so they're reshining it."
 
              My parents did not look convinced. "Well, okay, sweetie. If you're really already engaged, then we'll respect that. But we'd like to meet this fiancee of yours. I should tell you though, that I'm disappointed. Disappointed that you've kept such big news from us. However, if I find out that this was just a stunt you pulled to get out of marrying Yixing, I will assure you that we will not allow you to be so selfish! I thought we raised you better than that."
 
              I nodded my head quickly, keeping my gaze fixed on the floor. There was a reason I didn't meet up with my parents very often. Whenever I did, I'd end up feeling unhappy after. I do love my parents, but they can be so...controlling. And now, as we were sitting inside a fancy restaurant that was too stuffy for me to be comfortable in, I just wanted to be anywhere else but here. 
 
             After another hour of small talk about senseless family gossip with my parents (apparently my mother doesn't approve of my aunt's parenting technique - says she gives her kids 'too much freedom' - wow, shocker), I finally bid goodbye to my mom and dad, kissing their cheeks and rushing out of there as fast as I could. I fumbled to pull my phone out of my purse, rushing to call Kai. 
 
           "Babe? What's up?", the familiar voice drawled in my ear.
 
"Kai! Are you at your apartment right now? I need to talk to you right away."
 
"No, actually, I just finished a shoot. I'm in Myeongdong now, where are you?"
 
"Not too far. Can we meet at a cafe there or something?"
 
Ten minutes later, with latte in hand, I was chewing on my lip nervously. I had a feeling Kai would be mad. 
 
             "You said what?! Mari, how could you do this?" I could hear the disappointment and frustration in his voice, and it pained me. Just more reaffirmation that I was an utter and complete idiot...
 
"I'm so sorry, I am, but I got caught up in the moment, and how could I possibly agree to marrying Yixing? Would you have wanted me to say yes?" 
 
             Kai ruffled his hair, something he always did when he was frustrated or confused. "Of course not, jagi. But how does this make me look to your parents now? I know you said they're strict, but if they think that I'd propose to you without even meeting them or asking for their blessing, they won't ever approve of me now..."
 
              I thought it was sweet that he was concerned about what my parents thought, but seeing him look so distressed, I couldn't help but feel worse. I grabbed his hand across the table. "Kai, I feel awful, and this wasn't the way I expected you to meet my parents either. But we'll get through this, we will. And I know, deep down, my parents have good intentions. Once they see how happy you make me, they'll approve. I'm sure of it." Giving my best attempt at a reassuring smile, I brought his hand to my face and kissed it. "I love you, Kai."
 
            He grinned that annoying smile I'd so easily fallen in love with. "I love you too, jagi."
 

 

                Things had been going pretty well. I'd arranged a dinner date for Kai to meet my parents. It wasn't until the morning of that day, that things started to get messy.

              I'd gone to Kai's apartment to surprise him. We planned to spend the whole day together, since neither of us had a schedule. I'd had a hard time sleeping the night before, so I was up earlier than usual. With the breakfasts I'd picked up for us from our favourite diner in tow, I quietly slipped in the spare key Kai had given me. Expecting to find the apartment quiet, I was surprised to see Kai already awake, crouched on the couch, in deep thought. He took a glance at me, then went back to staring at nothing. At first I was offended, but then figured maybe it was just too early in the morning for him. And I knew from previous experience, Kai is definitely not a morning person. But usually he was good about it with me...

             "Kai? Is everything ok?" I set the boxes of breakfast on the counter, quietly taking off my shoes and approached him. 

                  "You never really had intentions of staying with me, right?" His voice was unusually cold, not the warm one I was used to. He looked solemn, but still wouldn't look me in the eye.

                 "What? Where is this coming from?"

                "So, you don't...." He let out a sigh, finally turning to look at me. His eyes looked...distant in a way.

                "Of course not! I love you, Kai, and you know that. Or at least, you should. I'd never want to leave you!"

                Silence.

               "Kai, what's going on?" I sat next to him on the couch, but he had no reaction.

              "So you're telling me that you're not just using me to get out of marrying Yixing? That once we're 'married', you're not just going to leave me when you find someone better, who you actually care for?" His voice was bitter now, and his words shocked me. I didn't even know what to say. My mind was a mess, filled with a mixture of confusion, surprise, and pain....pain because he didn't trust me, and pain because I knew I'd put him into a position to make him doubt my feelings for him. 

               "Kai...." I reached out for his arm, but he quickly flinched, shrugging his arm out of my reach.

  "I'm right, aren't I? You don't really love me. You're just using me."
 
   
 
 
 
 
Ahh I'm sorry it took me so long to post this! I've actually had this for awhile, but wanted to wait until it was finished before I put it up. I decided though, that I'll just make this oneshot into two parts, because it's a lot longer than I expected. And I think it works better for the story anyways. So yeah, sorry for the wait guys, but hopefully I'll be able to post part two to this very soon! Thank you for reading :)