For You, My Beloved Maknae

For You, My Beloved Maknae

So, this is my second fanfic posted here, and it's more of a fluff than anything else, so ENJOY!!! 

"The doctor will see you now," a nurse said, sticking her head around the corner. Sungjong stood slowly, taking a shaky breath, not really wanting to go into the office.

Without warning, a pain lanced through his chest, and he clutched it, gasping for breath.

"Are you alright?" The nurse asked, rushing to his side. Sungjong nodded at her as the pain subsided. The nurse lay a hand on his arm, leading him into the office. She left him in the office with the doctor, closing the door quietly.

Sungjong looked around the stark, white room, studying the walls, trying to take his mind off of the task at hand.

"Please, take a seat on the bed, and remove your shirt," the doctor said. Sungjong stood a moment longer before doing as the doctor asked. He offered the shirt to the doctor, then sat up straight.

"My nurse says that you've lost eight pounds, Sungjong. You know that that isn't healthy, right?" The doctor asked. Sungjong nodded. "Is the company overworking you, or are you just not eating, trying to maintain a slim figure?" Sungjong shook his head to that question.

"I-I just haven't been hungry. I've been too weak to practice much, so, I'm not getting overworked," he replied, looking down at his hands. The doctor stepped up to him.

"You haven't told them anything, have you?" Doctor Park asked quietly.

"I don't want them to worry about something like this; it won't affect anything that Infinite does," Sungjong said, catching his breath as the doctor pressed a cold metal stethescope to his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

Doctor Park frowned; the boy's heartbeat was faint, fast, and irregular. Coupled with the fact that all of the bones in the boy's chest were showing plainly, it showed that there wasn't much time or hope left for Lee Sungjong.

"What's wrong?" Sungjong asked, his voice heavy with worry and dread. The doctor stepped back, and looked Infinite's maknae square in the eyes. He sighed heavily.

"I have an option for you; you can give in and tell Woolim, and get the procedure done, or you can continue to keep quiet, and..." Doctor Park trailed off. Sungjong sat patiently, already knowing what he was going to say.

"Or, you can keep quiet, and pass away. I'm sorry, Sungjong, but you won't live much longer. Maybe two weeks?" The doctor said. Sungjong stood, sighed, and grabbed his shirt and pulled it on.

"You know my decision, Doctor. I don't want them to worry, and I don't want surgery. The rate of survival is very low; I know, I've seen the statistics. Thank you for agreeing to meet me, and telling me how long I had left," Sungjong said, turning away from the doctor. Doctor Park sighed and ran his hands through his hair.

"Alright, but when you die, what will I tell them?"

"Tell them the truth; that's all they need to know," Sungjong said before walking out.

 

Upon reaching the Infinite dorm, Sungjong was greeted by an enthusiastic Sungyeol, and an exuberant Dongwoo.

"How was your walk, Jongie?" Sunggyu asked from the couch. Sungjong nodded in response.

"Hyung, I'm tired. Can I go sleep a little before practice?" Sungjong asked, feigning a yawn.

Sunggyu frowned. Sungjong hadn't been sleeping well, and he'd been messing up and growing weary in practices. Perhaps sleep was what he needed.

"Go sleep, Jongie. I'll wake you up when it's time to practice, okay?" Sunggyu asked. Sungjong nodded and walked into his room.

From his spot on the floor, Myungsoo noticed the slump in Sungjong's shoulders just before he closed the door. He frowned, and rested the iPad on his lap and leaned back against Sunggyu's legs. Sunggyu played with the younger's hair, and sighed.

"Something's wrong, Myungsoo. Jongie's sick or something," Sunggyu said quietly. The entire dorm fell into utter silence at his words. Woohyun broke off arguing with Sungyeol, Dongwoo sat up, and Hoya turned to look at them.

"He has been acting weird, but he's not really sick? Is he? Out of all of us, Jongie's always the healthy one! He takes care of us when we're sick!" Sungyeol said.

Everyone was silent.

"Yup......" Myungsoo said.

Sungjong leaned against the door and sighed. He hated lieing to his hyungs, but that was the only way he could keep them from worrying. He sighed, and lay down on Hoya's bed, and ran his hands over his chest, feeling his heartbeat faintly within. Slowly, he drifted off to sleep, his hand still over his heart.

When Sungyeol and Hoya came in for bed, they found him still there.

"Wanna move him, Howon?" Sungyeol said, looking at the sleeping boy. Hoya shook his head, and crawled in bed with Sungjong, smiling when the slender boy crawled up closer to him.

A week later, Sungjong was standing offstage, waiting for the rest of the group to gather. He was faint, and his head felt very light.

"I don't wanna perform tonight..." Sungjong said.

"What was that, Jongie?" Myungsoo asked.

"I-I can't wait to perform tonight..." Sungjong said, turning to lead Infinite onstage.

His moves were sharp and precise, yet, throughout the performance, he was running on adreniline only, and he knew it. Soon he felt the rush leave him, and he fell face-first onto the cold tiles of the stage.

When Sungjong collapsed, the fans went wild. Woohyun was the one closest to him, and cradled the maknae as he lay still and pale on the reflective flooring. 

"What happened?" One of Infinite's managers asked, running up to the group huddled onstage. Dongwoo shivered and shrugged; he was scared for the small maknae, he didn't have a single clue what was going  on, he didn't know what was causing the boy to shiver violently. 

"Call an ambulance." 

Woohyun's voice carried over the speakers, he'd forgotten that his mic was still on, and still broadcasting audio over the audience. One of the managers rushed off to do just that, and Woohyun brushed the sweaty strands of hair off odf Sungjong's face gently. 

"You'll be okay, little maknae, you'll be alright," he whispered. Myungsoo shook his shoulder gently, alerting Woohyun to the presence of paramedics. Woohyun stepped back. 

"Can I go with him?" He asked, as Infinite and the managers followed the stretcher out. 

"You have a schedule, so, no," was the firm reply. "Why would you want to go anyway?"

"I don't want him to wake up and be alone," Woohyun whispered,  tears welling as he looked at the floor. 

 

 

The next day, they recieved a call from the hospital concerning Sungjong. The maknae was weak, and the doctors had "found" the problem: Sungjong's heart was failing and he would die soon, probably that night, if he didn't have the heart transplant operation soon.

Myungsoo turned away, pale. He was the only one in Infinite who shared the same blood type as Sungjong, and was also a registered organ donor. He shivered and left the room. 

At practice, the remaining members of Infinite were all obviously scatter-brained, and none of them kept up with the choreo.

The teacher turned the music off.

"What ARE you THINKING??" The teacher yelled. "Just because Sungjong is in the hospital, doesn't mean that all of you should just be lazy! Do this for him, since he can't be here! From the top!"

With that brief, but cliche inspiring speech, Infinite resumed their practice with a little more motive than they did before.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A screeching of brakes brought all of the others running outside. Myungsoo lay on the ground, a trickle of blood running from the corner of his mouth. The driver stood over him, crying hysterically, her eyes wide as she rocked back and forth. Dongwoo reached them first.

 

Myungsoo was still alive, barely. 

Before Dongwoo had a chance to speak, Myungsoo interjected, "I know that that was a stupid thing to do, hyung, but I can't let Sungjong die. I'm a donor, you know that. Let him have my heart." Dongwoo's eyes squeezed shut, trying to stop the tears from spilling over. 

"What about Infinite? We can't go on with just the six of us!" Dongwoo cried, tightening his grip on the younger's shoulders. 

"We've done it before, with only six of you." Dongwoo shrugged; that much was true. "Besides, I'll still be with you; I'll  just be in him," Myungsoo whispered, slowly relinquishing his hold on his life. "Tell him that this was for him... Tell him.,...." A single, shaky breath, and Myungsoo was gone. 

 

 

 

 

 

Sungjong woke. His chest hurt unbearably, and he saw Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Hoya and Sungyeol all standing around his bed, all looking solemn, and as if they'd cried for a long time. A further scan, and he also noticed Woohyun standing near him, looking as morose as the others. 

"Where's Myungsoo?" He asked in a low whisper. 

"Son," the doctor said, entering the room, a nurse trailing behind him. Sungjong looked up at him. "Was Myungsoo your friend? Sungjong nodded slowly. 

"Well, son, here's the story: you almost died, your heart was failing you and he was very concerned about you," the doctor began. Sungjong sighed impatiently; the doctor was slow, and he wanted him to get to the point, a seed of dread growing in his stomach. 

"He died so that you could live. Son, his heart is the one that is inside of you right now. He gave you what you needed to live." 

Sungjong clapped both hands to his mouth to stop his scream, then ran his fingers frantically over the place where the heart of one of his closest friends now beat, then raised his hands to his mouth again. In any other context, this may would have seemed comical. 

"He shouldn't've..." Sungjong breathed, looking at the other members to confirm this awful news. The looks on their faces were enough to set him crying harder, his chest burning and aching with each breath

 

 

At the end of their final promotion performance, Infinite clasped their hands together and bowed, bowed low, but the fans didn't miss the tears on their faces. Sungjong was the first one to straighten, and looked up towards the open sky above him. 

"This one's for you, hyung," he whispered. 

And far above, he thought he saw a star wink just a little bit brighter. 

 

 

AND THAT'S THE END! OMG, I CRIED as I wrote this!! Poor Sungjong, and POOR MYUNGSOO! If anyone wants me to write them a fic, I will gladly do so, just leave me a mesage!!!!

 

Comments are LOVE!!!! 

~~Evil Mak