The Color Red

The Olive Branch

"This is pointless, Yuri. Why are we doing this again?" Jessica sighed and played with a strand of her wavy hair, standing at the tips to search for some split-ends. Yuri ignored Jessica's first sentence and stared at the computer screen for the seventh hour, her eyes red and sore from staring at the computer for too long. Nevertheless, she didn't dare to blink as she examined some of her favorite K-pop dancers groove to their music.

"Look at how they cooperate so well!" Yuri exclaimed, staring at a particular boy group called Infinite dance to their song, "Be Mine." There was no doubt that she was amazed over their perfect timing when they danced. 

"And this is important because...?"

"In spring, there's another dance competition. If I lose to that arrogant Yunho, then my pride will crumble and fall right in front of my feet. I need to study and prepare for that spring contest!" Yuri explained.

"Great! You actually found something you enjoy for once! Now, can we get back to my story? You know, about that audition at SM coming up this spring? I'm asking you to give me some dance lessons so that it can boost up my opportunity," Jessica pleaded.

Yuri rolled her eyes. "Jessica, how old are you? Pretty old. Even though we got to high school, you have to understand that the top entertainment companies will favor youths in their elementary or middle school than high school. If you're in high school, you have, like, a year or two to train? You're going to go through some really tough times, then."

"You're just jealous that I actually have a dream. You still don't know what to do with your life, and all you want to do now is dance. You really have to focus on the future, Yuri. Not the past."

"If I think about the future now, what good will it do me, now? Where's the fun that young people are supposed to have?" Yuri asked. "It's best to be happy now then later. Adults have no time for happiness."

"That's not true," Jessica said. "You're mom is on a trip to JeJu Island. She should be having tons of fun!"

"Only because she was lucky enough to win that trip. Honestly, I don't even know when she's coming back. Plus, she needed that vacation. Imagine all the trouble she's going since my dad passed away? I mean, I never really spent time with my dad, so I wouldn't understand how it feels to lose a precious someone."

"He's still your father. Don't you feel some kind of special connection?"

"The only connection I felt was tension. He wanted me to become a doctor and told me that dancing is -- get this -- 'ridiculous.' I mean, come on! Dancing is part of my life! Is it my fault that I love to do something so much?" 

"But to say that your father isn't precious is kind of--"

At that moment, Yuri's phone vibrated once. When she grabbed her phone, she realized that she received a text message. A smile crawled up on her lips as she bounced off her chair and grabbed a thick jacket for the chilly air outside. Jessica, noticing how rushy Yuri was, raised an eyebrow.

"Where are you going?" Jessica asked. 

"Out!"

"I can see that, but to where?"

"To... somewhere."

"Does it relate to Yunho?"

"Nope. Why in the world would I want to see his face?"

"So it doesn't relate to Yunho, but relates to dancing?"

"Yep!"

"So where are you going?" Jessica repeated, feeling a bit frustrated this time.

"Out!" Yuri responded again, this time leaving the room. Jessica slapped her forehead and groaned. She stared up at the ceiling, and then at the clock. It wasn't even dinner yet, and she would have to wait for at least until nine for Yuri to come back from wherever she was heading to. That meant she had free time until Yuri decided to  call her and tell that she was coming home by taxi.

Guess I'll shop for clothes! she told herself, grabbing her purse and a thick, furry coat. Even if she wasn't quite familiar with the neighborhood, it didn't hurt to explore, right?

 

"No. Way." Jessica almost dropped her leathered wallet when she found Jaejoong standing right in front of her in the line. She was just buying some sweaters when she found Jaejoong holding a small plant in a pot. A sudden grudge overcame Jessica's heart as she made a sour expression. Jaejoong rolled his eyes and took a step closer to the cashier.

"Great. Just great," Jaejoong muttered. "You're just the person I wanted to see!"

"Well, you're not," she snapped.

"Ever heard of sarcasm?" he hissed back. He paused for a moment, and stared at Jessica's hand. "You're not carrying your book and that stick."

"It's an olive branch. Thanks for noticing!" Jessica muttered.

"What happened to them? Did you lose your book? Did you break your stick?"

"Why are you so interested? Want to steal it and see all my secrets in that book? Beat me up with that stick?" she questioned him.

"But that book is empty."

"So you tried to look in it? Since when?"

"No, it's just that I saw what was in it by chance--"

Jessica scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Do you like me or something?"

To this, Jaejoong's cheeks turned bright red. "W-What? W-Why are you... W-Why w-would I like you? Are you an i-idiot?"

Both were aware of Jaejoong's stutters, which arose curiosity between them. Why did he stutter? Was he just embarrassed, or did he really like her? 

"Um, are you two in line?" a woman asked behind them. Jaejoong and Jessica snapped out of their conversation and thoughts and looked around, only noticing that the cashier was almost glaring at them. Jaejoong flushed his face, and quickly pushed his pot towards the cashier. 

"You know, you're face is pretty red like the rose you're purchasing," the cashier joked, grabbing a cardboard box under the counter. "Would you like to put the plant in this box?"

Jaejoong shook his head. "S-Sure."

Once the chasier placed the red rose in the box, Jaejoong quickly paid and took off before Jessica could say anything. He walked to his car briskly, where Yuhno was waiting for him. Once Jaejoong got into the car, he pulled his seatbelt and stared anxiously in front of him.

"Start the car," he demanded. Yunho eyed at him in a strange manner, then slowly started the engine. "Hurry up and go! Go, go, go!"

Yunho stared at him in surprise. "Dude, what's wrong with you? You said that you didn't have to go anywhere."

"Just hurry up and go home before she sees me again!" Jaejoong snapped. He paused, then groaned as he burried his face in his hands. Yunho muttered something to himself and began to pull his car away from the parking lot.

"'She'? You're freaking out over a girl? Looking at you now, you're face is pretty red," Yunho pointed out. Jaejoong grabbed a mirror from his pocket and stared at his face.

For the first time, red has colored his world.